Considering Ipsy, Questions

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I really want to try one of the subscription services and I have been reading some of the threads here and I think Ipsy would be good for me. But I would like to ask some questions and get confirmation on a couple things before trying to subscribe.

From what I can tell they send only beauty products and items (and the bag). This is important to me as I do not really want little trinkets or whatnot like some of the other boxes seem to send. The $10 a month price is nice as well.

What I am wondering about is this:

I know you take a survey (which I did) and they are supposed to tailor the products to you, but it looks like everyone is getting the same things and when they show the bags on the site it kind of seems like they only show 5 products. Do they give everyone the same products in different shades? Or are those just the top 5 they send? I noticed in the threads here that some people were saying they did not get certain items... did you get something else?

I am asking more for the fact that I would like to get a 3 month subscription for my mom and sister. But my mom wears very little make-up. She would be more interested in other beauty products like moisturizers, skin care, things like that. If she takes the survey and mentions she is more interested in those things will it send her more of that and less of the make-up?

Also, what sizes are the items? Are they at least enough to use a few times?

I've only been subscribed for 2 months but so far I LOVE Ipsy. From the 2 bags I have received, everyone gets the same items but there is 1 or maybe 2 items that might have a color variation based on your profile (although this month, there was also a bonus item that only some people got. I understand in the past it has been a mix of skin care and cosmetics but (at least for the last 2 months) it has been all cosmetics.

The size of the products is more than enough for a few uses. There are "deluxe" sample sizes and full size products as well. For instance, this month there was a full sized lip gloss, full sized eye pigment and I believe the face/eye primer was full sized. The blush/highlighter sheets pack might have been full sized as well. The eyeliner was, I think, considered "travel sized".

In my estimation, if you like cosmetics, Ipsy is great "bang for your buck". If your mother isn't so crazy about cosmetics, Ipsy might not be the right choice.

I loved my first Ipsy bag so much that I got my sister a 3 month gift sub for Christmas (I got it at the end of last month so she would get a December bag). She absolutely loves it too.

To Dekilah

I know you take a survey (which I did) and they are supposed to tailor the products to you,
The products are not fully custom to you. In other words they're not going to hand pull products for you as a personal shopper but the products selected should, not necessarily will, should match your skin tone and coloring.

Do they give everyone the same products in different shades?
Yes but sometimes the month contains an "OR" item - for example in June the "OR" item was either a Juice Beauty Green Apple SPF 15 Moisturizer OR Kiehl's Ultra Facial Oil-Free Lotion and the other "OR" item was Buxom Big & Healthy Lip Polish OR Josie Maran Magic Marker Lip and Cheek Stain so techincally there were four variations of the bags that month.

Or are those just the top 5 they send?
Those are the items sent out to everyone but colors may be different. For example, everyone in the December Ipsy bag got the Be A Bombshell lip gloss in Hot Mess while the NYX loose shadow was one of ten shades sent out.

I noticed in the threads here that some people were saying they did not get certain items... did you get something else?
Some members have received bonus items that other members did not get. This month some members received the Urban Decay BB cream.

But my mom wears very little make-up. She would be more interested in other beauty products like moisturizers, skin care, things like that. If she takes the survey and mentions she is more interested in those things will it send her more of that and less of the make-up?
She'll get what ever products are sent out to subscribers that month. If she wants more skin care than cosmetics Birchbox would be better suited since they typically have between 20 to 30 box variations each month while Ipsy typically has one to two with the only difference being shades.

Also, what sizes are the items? Are they at least enough to use a few times?
Sizes vary. Some items are one time use and others are full size.

Originally Posted by Dekilah /img/forum/go_quote.gifI am asking more for the fact that I would like to get a 3 month subscription for my mom and sister. But my mom wears very little make-up. She would be more interested in other beauty products like moisturizers, skin care, things like that. If she takes the survey and mentions she is more interested in those things will it send her more of that and less of the make-up?
Most of the questions have been answered already.

Ipsy is very makeup focused so I would pick a different gift membership if you are looking for more skincare items. Sample Society has fairly balanced boxes. You usually get something for skin, hair, makeup and a couple of other things. They also have awesome customer service. Birchbox was only so so for me. I had one good box and then was repeatedly disappointed so I cancelled. Glossybox has awesome products but has quite a few customer service problems. If they are very particular you could give them Beauty Army where they can chose which items they want so they are in complete control of their own samples.

I'm considering Ipsy as well. I remember there was some rough starts with MyGalm but it seems to surpass Birchbox in terms of quality. 

Ipsy is my favorite of all subscriptions I've tried, for makeup specifically. I've gotten some full size, deluxe size, and a few tiny (those teeny little eyeshadow pans) products and absolutey loved many including the full-sized eyeliner but not so much the lipsticks. (EVERY subscription box seems to send close shades of lipstick!).

The ONLY reason I cancelled Ipsy this month is because I am moving/for financial reasons. I can't wait to get a job and Ipsy will be the first box I re-sign up for! (NTBB will be the second, Birchbox the third).

I just started the subscription service last month. I'm 47 and I am just starting to use makeup on a daily basis. BB had a  nice lip gloss, but I got a small hand lotion, 2 foil samples of hair conditioner(which I could get for free anywhere)and another small foll packet of something,a 50 dollar coupon off a dress rental, not practical. For me I was so disappointed I cried when I opened the box.  When I got my Ipsy I cried again but with joy,I loved loved loved it. The makeup is kinda of for the younger  group but I loved it. I really was  iffy on the little bag, but when I got it it was so cute,if I dont use it for makeup , I can put my art/crafts supplies in it, its small but this one was roomy. Birchbox is suppose to be geared to your profile but I have heard it isn't. The box was pretty lol.

Ipsy is amazing, and yes they've been sending a lot of make up lately, but you can never tell if next month's will be make up based or not, for a month to month subscription, the fact that they show spoilers, before you have a chance to order is great. I won't tell you this won't be good for your mom, cuz what if next month they decided to do an all skin care products month? But if your sister does wear make up it might be perfect for her :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Just feel like to say something, for your skin health: 

NEVER  use subscription service as an important source to choose your SKINCARE product!

Unlike makeup which needs endless trying(on color, texture, quality...), skincare products needs more research than blind, random trying. Everyone needs some basic and advanced knowledge of what skin really needs, what skincare products can bring and what choices we have on the market. After research, everyone can carefully design a personalized skincare plan, or a rule on how to choose products.

Sampling service just can't help much in this study-and-apply process because companies just want to send out the products that cost less and profit more. That's the rule of thumb in business. They won't take your skin health into consideration(or at least, not in the first place). If most of their products are good, then the sample may be worth a try. Unfortunately, most of the skincare products on market are just... sorry for being rude... bullshit!!! They may look good,smell good and feel good, but just can't do anything good, even worse, can harm your skin (sadly, this is not a rare case).  

This is so different from makeup world- we can always find surprise in all kinds of brands, even low-quality brands. Even the product is not so good, a swatch won't do much harm  and we can see the results in seconds.  

That's why I only stick to makeup sampling service. I like to try new colors but  don't need marketing people to tell me what skincare I should try- leave that to researchers.

By the way, if you did research and are sure about the possible effects of a product, but still want to try the smell, texture... ebay is a good place to buy samples. This actually cost you less because you are clearly focused, not blindly wondering. 

As someone with super sensitive skin I actually enjoy getting skin products as part of my samples. Some of my favorite brands I have found from my subs. Shea Terra comes to mind. I do have to read all ingredients because I am sensitive to so much. I always do a two part test ahead of time with all skin products, first on the underside of my arm and then on my neck right under my ear. In my opinion everyone should do this since unfortunate reactions can end up being quite unattractive. However most products can't even pass these two on me, so samples are a godsend. I have a mom, two sisters and two daughters who love getting all of my samples that I can't use.

Makeup is as big of a potential problem as skin care, for me at least. I have a lot of reactions to pretty much all sorts of makeup: liquid, mineral, creams, powders, etc. Really the bottom line is that regardless where you get your products, you should be researching them before you use them. That's why MuT is so great. We can give each other recommendations based on the similarities in our own experiences.

Originally Posted by fayeX /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just feel like to say something, for your skin health: 

NEVER  use subscription service as an important source to choose your SKINCARE product!

Unlike makeup which needs endless trying(on color, texture, quality...), skincare products needs more research than blind, random trying. Everyone needs some basic and advanced knowledge of what skin really needs, what skincare products can bring and what choices we have on the market. After research, everyone can carefully design a personalized skincare plan, or a rule on how to choose products.

Sampling service just can't help much in this study-and-apply process because companies just want to send out the products that cost less and profit more. That's the rule of thumb in business. They won't take your skin health into consideration(or at least, not in the first place). If most of their products are good, then the sample may be worth a try. Unfortunately, most of the skincare products on market are just... sorry for being rude... bullshit!!! They may look good,smell good and feel good, but just can't do anything good, even worse, can harm your skin (sadly, this is not a rare case).  

This is so different from makeup world- we can always find surprise in all kinds of brands, even low-quality brands. Even the product is not so good, a swatch won't do much harm  and we can see the results in seconds.  

That's why I only stick to makeup sampling service. I like to try new colors but  don't need marketing people to tell me what skincare I should try- leave that to researchers.

By the way, if you did research and are sure about the possible effects of a product, but still want to try the smell, texture... ebay is a good place to buy samples. This actually cost you less because you are clearly focused, not blindly wondering. 
I disagree...it is through sub services that I have found my favorite products for my skin. I can study things until I'm blue in the face, but sometimes something that sounds like it will be great for me isn't, and something I never would have chosen ends up working splendidly. It is an affordable way for me to find what works.

And I would rather trust a reputable subscription service to send me legit samples than ebay...

Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I disagree...it is through sub services that I have found my favorite products for my skin. I can study things until I'm blue in the face, but sometimes something that sounds like it will be great for me isn't, and something I never would have chosen ends up working splendidly. It is an affordable way for me to find what works.

And I would rather trust a reputable subscription service to send me legit samples than ebay...
Good to hear that you got favorite products from sub service. You are the lucky one.

However I don't know if it's really 'good', 'safe', 'effective' or just feels so. After tens of years of development, cosmetic industry knows so well how to please consumer's feeling (color, smell, texture, temporary result) but always fail to give long term benefit to our skin.

If makeup world is a theme park where we can walk around  anywhere to have fun without much hazard (just a swatch and you can know if the color fits or it causes allergy ), skincare world is a jungle full of traps (who knows if skin is really 'improved' unless we have a lab). We need maps not random walk to get to certain place.

I can say more than 90% of the products on the market can lead you to nowhere but wasting money and most of the sub services can't avoid these craps. Yes there are good stuff from time to time but in most cases, the 'beauty editors' (some of them aren't professional, most of them are driven by marketing needs) fail to impress me. 

I'd rather do my own research than relying  on them. After all, I need to pay at least over $100 a year to get the 'service'. 

As for the issue of ebay... I forgot one important thing that most of the products I want to try are so unpopular that there's no market for fake samples. If I want to try popular products, I would go to stores. 

I have to be fairly cautious with skin care anyway and I tend to read ingredients on things before I use them. The main skin care products I would try would be masks, exfoliators, and things like that. Moisturizers are a bit tricky for me because a lot of them cause me headaches, particularly if they have an SPF (as I am allergic to most sunscreens). And I usually read reviews before trying anything. I am more interested in the make-up products and I think the service will be worth it just for that.

And my boyfriend got me a 3 month subscription for Christmas so I will be getting my first bag in January ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Dekilah /img/forum/go_quote.gifAnd my boyfriend got me a 3 month subscription for Christmas so I will be getting my first bag in January ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Yay! Let us know what you think after you get it.

Back