Help me with powder containers!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have some loose powder (Tarte Smooth Operator) that I hate the container. For those who don't have this or haven't seen it, it has one little hole that you're supposed to press on either side of to get the powder to spurt out. Well, it just goes everywhere, the hole is too small to just shake it out and when I try to press it out as the instructions indicate it just sprays onto the floor. I pulled that piece off and now just have a container of powder and of course the brush always picks up too much, so shake it off into the cap, but when I re-cap the jar I lose a lot down the sides.  Is there a good container out there for powders? I know mineral makeup is popular, I never got into it because its just too messy for me. I hate loose powder! But maybe if I had the right container I wouldn't hate it. I've seen those brushes that you can fill with powder  but they either seem cheaply made (Charlotte Ronson has one) or too expensive (Chantecaille Poudre de Pearl) can someone make some recommendations?

Originally Posted by suenotto /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have some loose powder (Tarte Smooth Operator) that I hate the container. For those who don't have this or haven't seen it, it has one little hole that you're supposed to press on either side of to get the powder to spurt out. Well, it just goes everywhere, the hole is too small to just shake it out and when I try to press it out as the instructions indicate it just sprays onto the floor. I pulled that piece off and now just have a container of powder and of course the brush always picks up too much, so shake it off into the cap, but when I re-cap the jar I lose a lot down the sides.  Is there a good container out there for powders? I know mineral makeup is popular, I never got into it because its just too messy for me. I hate loose powder! But maybe if I had the right container I wouldn't hate it. I've seen those brushes that you can fill with powder  but they either seem cheaply made (Charlotte Ronson has one) or too expensive (Chantecaille Poudre de Pearl) can someone make some recommendations?
I have this powder as well. Its an amazing silica powder, but you're right, the packaging is super annoying. I know Sephora sells some sifter jars for powder in the beauty to go section. They have several holes in the top like a regular loose powder dispenser, may still be a little messy but a lot easier than just dipping your brush in or trying to get product out of that tiny hole!

I love mineral makeup, have been using it for years.

I think it is easier to have a sifter jar with lots of holes, you can maybe even make some extra holes in your Tarte one with like a nail or something if you don't want to buy a new jar. Then I find the best way to use it is just to tap a little powder into the lid, and swirl your brush in the lid.

Another thing I do with mineral makeup is press it. However, while non matte eyeshadows press really well and I have literally pressed all of mine, finishing powders can be tricky and some can't be pressed at all. It all depends on the makeup of the powder. What you can try to test how this would press is take a little bit of the powder, put it in a little spare jar, add rubbing alcohol and mix, then tap the jar so the powder isn't in a lump but makes a flat layer on the bottom. All of the alcohol will evaporate out, and you will be left for you powder, but it will just be stuck together. You can then test it, see if it is not too solid, if it would be easy to use.

HTH!

Originally Posted by Oxana124 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love mineral makeup, have been using it for years.

I think it is easier to have a sifter jar with lots of holes, you can maybe even make some extra holes in your Tarte one with like a nail or something if you don't want to buy a new jar. Then I find the best way to use it is just to tap a little powder into the lid, and swirl your brush in the lid.

Another thing I do with mineral makeup is press it. However, while non matte eyeshadows press really well and I have literally pressed all of mine, finishing powders can be tricky and some can't be pressed at all. It all depends on the makeup of the powder. What you can try to test how this would press is take a little bit of the powder, put it in a little spare jar, add rubbing alcohol and mix, then tap the jar so the powder isn't in a lump but makes a flat layer on the bottom. All of the alcohol will evaporate out, and you will be left for you powder, but it will just be stuck together. You can then test it, see if it is not too solid, if it would be easy to use.

HTH!
I think I'm going to try this, I'll let you know how it works out.

I do a lot of work in the drag world and carry around a lot of loose powders. Also I custom mix a lot of my powders. My solution is not all to glamorous but works great. Tupperware! I got a set of six ounce flat square containers from ikea for like five dollars. They're easy to keep clean, keep your powders safe, and stack for easy storage and transportation.

Perhaps this will sound odd, but try (very clean!) pepper shakers or a shaker like the ones at a pizza place with small holes. If you also keep a jar lid handy, you can shake our a small amount onto the lid, swirl your brush and tap, and you're good to go! I use salt 'n' pepper shakers for lots of things like powder dry shampoo!

Perhaps this will sound odd, but try (very clean!) pepper shakers or a shaker like the ones at a pizza place with small holes. If you also keep a jar lid handy, you can shake our a small amount onto the lid, swirl your brush and tap, and you're good to go! I use salt 'n' pepper shakers for lots of things like powder dry shampoo!
Great idea. You can get all kinds of salt / pepper and grated cheese shakers at dollar stores. I use squeeze condiment bottles (ketchup / mustard, mayonnaise) that i get at dollar stores for all my muds and oil / grease effects. And it's a lot cleaner all around in terms of unintentional product transfer.

Originally Posted by vogueboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by tintedlove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great idea. You can get all kinds of salt / pepper and grated cheese shakers at dollar stores.

I use squeeze condiment bottles (ketchup / mustard, mayonnaise) that i get at dollar stores for all my muds and oil / grease effects. And it's a lot cleaner all around in terms of unintentional product transfer.

Stealing this idea! LOL What I use though are the tint bottles (about $1 at Sally Beauty) for things like that but the down side is most don't have tops to close it.

Edit: Here's one from Sally's for $1.29

Latest posts

Back