Cleaning your brushes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
 So, i work in the beauty industry and i get asked a lot "What foundation won't make me break out?"  Sometimes people's skin just won't take to a foundation from the get go but often when i hear that the foundation was fine for a couple of weeks and then it started to cause issues i then ask how often she is cleaning her brushes and the answer 90% of the time is never.

Now obviously since for the most part we girls on this site know enough about make up that we know how important it is to clean your brushes AT LEAST once a week, so my question for you ladies is:

Whats your favorite brush cleaner?​
And​
What are your tips and tricks to maintain your brushes clean and still in great shape?​
 ​
 ​

I work long hours and am a full time student so I don't clean my brushes once a week. Instead I have multiple sets of brushes. After a week has passed of using the same foundation brush (or if I notice a change in the application of my make up) I put it in a bin where I keep all of my brushes that need to be cleaned and I start using a clean brush. Once a month I clean all of my foundation and other face brushes.

The exception to this is my eye brushes and my one lip brush. I clean these every couple of uses or swap them out every few days.

I also "spot-clean" all of my brushes every time I use them (this is more to remove make up residue and not germs).

Moving this thread over to beauty tools for you.

I personally use a spray sanitizer for powder brushes and wash the others with baby shampoo. The only exception to this is my Revlon Colorstay brush that gets washed with Dawn dish soap and then baby shampoo. That stuff stays on everything! I have sensitive skin so I can't use harsh cleaners.

To deep clean my brushes I use Mona Lisa's Pink Soap which is non-toxic. For a quick clean I use a disinfectant spray made with alcohol.

I make my own makeup remover that get's my brushes SO clean and leaves them smelling fresh. It was one of the very first things I posted on my blog, too. 

I usually make my own brush cleaner as well! Dawn is great for synthetic brushes because it break down any type of cream of liquid make up. Usually i mix dawn, rubbing alchol and a little bit of baby shampoo to give my brushes a soft and very clean feel.

I've tried the sephora daily brush cleanser as well and it works pretty well but nothing beats my home made cleaner

Originally Posted by Karmakarmen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I usually make my own brush cleaner as well! Dawn is great for synthetic brushes because it break down any type of cream of liquid make up. Usually i mix dawn, rubbing alchol and a little bit of baby shampoo to give my brushes a soft and very clean feel.

I've tried the sephora daily brush cleanser as well and it works pretty well but nothing beats my home made cleaner
I use One cup of warm water

One (1) tablespoon liquid dish detergent (I like the Olay Hand Renewal, because it's so gentle)One (1) tablespoon of white vinegar

I think alcohol is a little too drying even with the baby shampoo. Plus they end up smelling really good. I never though about it before but I bet it would smell even better if I added a couple drops of essential oil. 

I use Sonia Kashuk's Brush and Sponge Cleanser, or something I picked up from Michelle Phan, dish washer+ olive oil. I love either one :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I wash my brushes, and then hang them upside-down...with the handle clipped (with a claw-hair clip) to the bottom edge of my bathroom towel so that the bristles are free-hanging upside-down ...so water doesn't drip into the ferrule. It also helps the bristles hold their original shape. 

I'll spot clean after each use with a brush cleaner just to get residue off, but I'll wash everything about once a week with a clarifying shampoo then hang it upside to airdry overnight.

I got the beauty blender cleaner from birchbox and I don't have a beauty blender so I've been using it to clean my brushes. It seems like a mild formula and I like the smell :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I use either the Bare Minerals cleanser, called Well Cared For, or the beautyblender cleanser. I prefer the beautyblender cleanser.

The smell of the beautyblender cleanser reminds me of tattoos; it smells like the solution they wipe on your skin to clean and soothe it while you're getting tattooed.

I used to do that when I worked at Lancôme, it was better than the Brush-Off brush cleaner they supplied us with.

I use Mac's brush cleanser with tissues to clean weekly, and about every 3-4 weeks I wash them in the sink with Johnson's baby shampoo and a silicone oven mitt I found at Home Goods. I loved the idea of the Sigma one, but that price is RIDICULOUS. Very happy with my current routine. Works great and the brushes are nice and soft. 

cinema secrets makes a great brush cleaner - its the only one i've found so far that can completely remove all the makeup leaving white bristled brushes white 

Originally Posted by vogueboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to do that when I worked at Lancôme, it was better than the Brush-Off brush cleaner they supplied us with.
brush off is like paint thinner!!! it's so terrible for keeping any integrity to brushes!!! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I use Japonesque brush cleaner mostly. Otherwise I use Pert 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner to wash certain brushes.

Originally Posted by luckycharms /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I use Japonesque brush cleaner mostly. Otherwise I use Pert 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner to wash certain brushes.
Do you mean their Parian Spirit? If so, then as of earlier this year Parian Spirit is no longer making the Japonesque brush cleaner. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back