Nail Polish Organization?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone.. I've been looking around on the forum and found a ton of great pictures on how people have stored their makeup.. but I was wondering how you guys have your nail polish bottles stored.. I have a little over 100 polishes (
yuck.gif
 I know) but right now I have them all thrown in a little wicker bin, and it's just not working out.. Any suggestions and input would be great! Thanks!

I have acrylic nail racks hanging on my wall. The ones I have hold 90 each. I got mine at head2toebeauty.com

I keep my extras in a plastic chest of drawers like this that I bought at Walmart.

Dalylah, I like the acrylic storage! I'm bad, mine are sitting in tubs and beauty boxes, organized by brand lol. A clear storage solution would be great, so I can see what I've got. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dalylah, I like the acrylic storage! I'm bad, mine are sitting in tubs and beauty boxes, organized by brand lol. A clear storage solution would be great, so I can see what I've got.
smile.gif
Those mount up super easy on the wall. They are heavy to ship but definitely worth it. Save yourself some shipping money and order two at once.

Ignore the bad lighting and the dust please.
icon_redface.gif

omg I need one of those. I wish I was living somewhere more permanent than I am now so I could hang something like that on the wall. Maybe I'll do it anyway, lol.

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

omg I need one of those. I wish I was living somewhere more permanent than I am now so I could hang something like that on the wall. Maybe I'll do it anyway, lol.
Honestly they would be easy to take down and put back up if you moved. It's truly no harder than hanging a picture frame.

Here's a link to what I use ! It's so handy ! I have about 150 bottles of nail polish and this world great ! Got it on sale for under $25 !

Edit: removed link, added photo

Here is a link to what I use:

http://www.michaels.com/3-Drawer-Organizer-Cube/sb3460,default,pd.html?start=25&cgid=products-scrapbooking-storage

I have my Julep & Zoya in the top drawer (nearly 100 with plenty of room for more), drugstore brands in the second and the third contains separators, nail art, misc. I love it. It currently sits on the floor but I'm planning on moving it to my dresser. They can be stacked if more are needed in the future. I may buy one for makeup/samples. I believe all Michaels' storage containers are currently 50% off (which would make this one around $20)

Has anyone tried a hanging shoe organizer? I saw this on pintrest, loved it and tried it in my new house in my husbands closet haha.. It works great. Its clear and I can see through it, I just organized it by colors. 

I use the tall Alex from Ikea:

Each drawer holds up to 100 bottles (depends on the size of the bottles).  Here are a couple of the drawers in my Alex:

I have an Alex too but the shorter chubbier version. The wider drafting drawers make it so useful to store so many different kinds of makeup besides nail polish. The first three drawers are slimmer and  perfect for face and eye compacts, liners, and mascaras. the last three are deeper and are great for standing up lipstick and nail polish. I use it for a nightstand and for makeup storage. My 5th drawer holds half assorted things (perfume samples, contacts, hair ties, etc) and the other half is my nail polish. I re-organized my nail polish and used my sample society boxes to hold and categorize them into high end, low end, and assorted treatments and topcoats. Then there's a small tray to hold my nail clippers, files, konad stamper and plates, and other misc. nail related things.

Had to camouflage my konad stamper polish in my hair stuff so that my Roomie doesn't really notice it and end up using it.

what I'm currently using... 3 handmade racks using foam board and hot glue! really easy to make -- but already need another one. I like that they are on display this way but I think i've outgrown being able to do that. I'm looking for something that takes up less space and is more practical. 

My husband built me one for less than $25.  It has cup hooks so I can hang my nail sticks and other things.  He needs to build me only 4 more LOL.  I don't think he knew exactly how many polishes I have.  This only holds about a quarter of my polishes.

Disclaimer: Not my rack, not my image but I had to share.

Her name is Elaine and she posted this on Julep's FB page a week or so ago. I asked her what material she used and her reply was, "The shelves are 1x2x2 and the back board is 1/4x6x2."

I love the clean, modern lines of this rack SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much!  I told my husband the next one he makes needs to be like this but he's convinced the shelves would eventually bow under the weight and for me, I'd like it to have sides and front bumpers so the polish doesn't fall off.  But it is so freakin' pretty!

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Disclaimer: Not my rack, not my image but I had to share.

Her name is Elaine and she posted this on Julep's FB page a week or so ago. I asked her what material she used and her reply was, "The shelves are 1x2x2 and the back board is 1/4x6x2."

Originally Posted by DonnaD /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love the clean, modern lines of this rack SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much!  I told my husband the next one he makes needs to be like this but he's convinced the shelves would eventually bow under the weight and for me, I'd like it to have sides and front bumpers so the polish doesn't fall off.  But it is so freakin' pretty!
A possible way to avoid that is before you paint the wood is to use straight, flat metal plates on the bottom side. Oh... found a picture... like these mending plates. Simply use very short screws with these and it should help secure the wood shelf so it doesn't bow.

Oh em gee!  My husband just used those on my lap top desk because the handle cracked.   He also fixed one of my outdoor chairs with the same thing.  I'm going to mention this to him because I really really want a rack that looks like this.  I think it wouldn't be very hard to glue that thin trim around the edges so things don't fall off yet keeping the clean, airy feel to it.

You're always thinking, Zadi!

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A possible way to avoid that is before you paint the wood is to use straight, flat metal plates on the bottom side. Oh... found a picture... like these mending plates. Simply use very short screws with these and it should help secure the wood shelf so it doesn't bow.

I have mine in a Helmer cabinet from IKEA. I put that rubbery shelf liner on the bottom to prevent things from sliding around. I even moved all of my polish from one house to another in it - no broken bottles (I just jammed all of my polishes into 3 drawers so they couldn't budge). It's also on casters so I can wheel it around if I need to move it to vacuum. The drawers are completely removable to so it's super easy to reorganize my polish when I need to. The best bit? It's only $40 and you can find them on Craigslist all the time for cheaper!!

I love the idea of having my polished out for display but I live in earthquake country and the daily inspiration isn't worth losing my collection in the Big One (or even the reasonably jerky Smaller Ones). I keep all of my swatch sticks on a pretty platter on top of it.

Latest posts

Back