Birchbox Education

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I stumbled upon this forum a couple of days ago as I was searching for information on how Birchbox *REALLY* works, and thought I'd join the group.  I have to say, I had no idea how strategic a beauty subscription program could be!  I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all of the tips and tricks forum members have posted!   

I've been a Birchbox subscriber since July 2012, and am curious about a couple of things I've seen on the forum so far. 

1.  How do you know if you get a "punishment" box (which I feel like I have received more than once!)

2.  Does anyone think that your actual purchase history on Birchbox affects your sample boxes?

Also, I'm excited that I just figured out how to see the different versions of the boxes each month - had no idea there were so many!  I feel like I just solved a mystery! 
policeman.gif

BTW, I got Box 3 for December - which, in my opinion, was a dud.  :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />   Seriously?  Two samples of the same brand?  No thanks.  (Thymes lotions)  I would have LOVED Box 1 or Box 2. 

I'm interested in learning more about how to optimize my Birchbox experience, so I appreciate any feedback anyone can offer!

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

sunshine.gif

Welcome!

There's no such thing as a "punishment box." People use that term to describe boxes that they really hate, but remember that not everyone is looking to try the same things - I've seen people describe boxes I'd love to get as "punishment boxes."

Not sure about purchase history because I don't purchase things from the shop that often.

Originally Posted by hindsighting /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Welcome!

There's no such thing as a "punishment box." People use that term to describe boxes that they really hate, but remember that not everyone is looking to try the same things - I've seen people describe boxes I'd love to get as "punishment boxes."

Not sure about purchase history because I don't purchase things from the shop that often.
People more tend use that term to describe boxes they get that are just really low value in general. It's true people do look for different things in boxes, but when some people get full-sized items, and a box with $30-40 value of items, it's kind of annoying to be stuck with foil packets and something that's like $13-15?

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

People more tend use that term to describe boxes they get that are just really low value in general. It's true people do look for different things in boxes, but when some people get full-sized items, and a box with $30-40 value of items, it's kind of annoying to be stuck with foil packets and something that's like $13-15?
This is the story of my life with my November birchbox.  I got crappy masqueology one-use/foil samples but people got full sized mascaras/lip glosses, etc.

BB doesn't take into account your purchase history. You could still get samples of products in your monthly BB if you've purchased a full size in the BB shop. I think BB stated this when they started the plus 2 samples packs. 

I am talking about purchase history driving the box quality, not basing samples off purchases. In other words, if I am a frequent purchaser, do I get a better box?

Hmmm....that would be interesting if it were true. But I'm going to venture to guess that if they don't take into account your purchase history to make sure you don't get a sample of something you've already bought a full size of that they don't take into account your purchase history at all to determine any of the contents of your monthly BB. A "better box" is very subjective. Some subscribers don't mind a lower value box if they receive items that they'll actually use and probably purchase later, while some subscribers really like getting more bang for their buck even if their box includes items that they normally don't really use. I've had a few conversations with BB's customer service department about their monthly boxes and the contents and value of the boxes. They told me that their goal isn't to make sure that your monthly box has the same value as every other box they offer for that month. Their goal is to try to make sure that the aggregate value of your boxes is the same as the aggregate value of every other subscriber's boxes. One way that they try to do this is by offering a sample for a few months in a row or a few different times a year so that eventually almost everyone gets to try it. So even if your box doesn't include an item that you really would have liked to receive, it is possible that it will be offered again and that you will receive it in a later box. In terms of getting samples that are more tailored to what you'd like to receive, it's also been stated that BB reps have told subscribers to narrowly tailor their beauty profile. For example, instead of checking off Adventurous, Trendy, Classic, etc., choose one/two descriptions that fit you best. 

People tweak their profiles to try to get "better boxes" but after being subscribed for over a year and after being on MUT, I don't know how much your profile matters if their goal is to allow everyone to eventually try almost every sample they send out (I realize there are a bunch of factors that may not allow BB to get a sample out to everyone - like whether there are enough samples, if a company wants to keep partnering with BB, etc. And I guess that's why it's just a goal and not actually stated anywhere on their site) I'm assuming that they follow profiles somewhat, but not as much as BB likes to make it seem. 

Okay.... after typing all this idk if I helped you at all :p but I just wanted to share how I feel about BB I guess.

So true about eventually getting to try most of the samples. When everyone got ModelCo stuff, neither of my accounts got anything. Now they both have the lip gloss and one got mascara! I feel like it goes around eventually, so I'd rather have the opportunity for full sized items (and sometimes miss out) than no chance at all!

Everyone approaches BB differently, I guess! 
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back