Sign in to follow this  
ladygrey

January 2013 No-Buy/Low-Buy Thread!

Helped my mom pick up a foundation I love at CVS. Looked at the new displays, but kept telling myself, "This is icky, you don't buy icky things." It worked.

Originally Posted by LisaLeah View Post

That Stila palette has many more shimmers than mattes. So I wouldn't obsess about it!

If you really NEED a matte shadow and your on a low buy...try Wet and Wild. Believe it or not their mattes are surprisingly not bad. (not great, but suitable for sure) and they cost $2!

In the Know is all matte, no shimmers.  I have it and it's nice. 

But don't buy it if you are on a no buy smile.gif.

So I went and bought a Color Tattoo from maybelline today, but that was all lol :)

I dont think I will need anything else this month... or i hope i dont

I am putting myself on this no buy until match 1 st I need help haha please please I really hope urban decay does not switch up the sale items any time soon because that would be my biggest jump :) I am really hoping I can save some money and use some products up in the mean time,

PinkSoFoxy on Youtube has started "Make Out 2013".  She's committing to buying only 10 makeup items this year including replacements, and some other youtubers are joining in.  Don't know if I could do that...  But I'm watching the declutter videos she's done over the past few months, and it kinda makes me wanna try!

Originally Posted by mellee View Post

PinkSoFoxy on Youtube has started "Make Out 2013".  She's committing to buying only 10 makeup items this year including replacements, and some other youtubers are joining in.  Don't know if I could do that...  But I'm watching the declutter videos she's done over the past few months, and it kinda makes me wanna try!

ok, this is just the most incredibly awesome tip ever.  I have no idea who PinkSoFoxy is but I watched the video and started on her "declutter" series and it was exactly what i needed to help me through the no/low-buy!  She seems really sweet and so honest with her philosophy on why the need to declutter and reduce, it's very inspiring.  Also watching the videos as she cleans out her drawers and sorts everything into "keep" or "get rid of" categories is really soothing somehow....

Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by nishino View Post

ok, this is just the most incredibly awesome tip ever.  I have no idea who PinkSoFoxy is but I watched the video and started on her "declutter" series and it was exactly what i needed to help me through the no/low-buy!  She seems really sweet and so honest with her philosophy on why the need to declutter and reduce, it's very inspiring.  Also watching the videos as she cleans out her drawers and sorts everything into "keep" or "get rid of" categories is really soothing somehow....

Thanks for the tip!

Yeah, I've been subscribed to Thekatieab for years, and in a video yesterday she said she was starting the "Make out 2013".  I couldn't even hear who she was crediting with the idea, but I searched and found PinkSoFoxy.  =)  I like her, too!  She definitely makes me wanna jump on the band-waggon and try a declutter and only-10-new-purchase year!  I hope she does lots of posts on how she's holding up.  She makes me feel like if she can do it, I can do it along with her.

Thank you for posting about her videos. I watched her decluttering ones and got so inspired. Just finished taking out four trash bags of junk. It feels so great. I don't know if I could only buy ten makeup products all year, but I think actively keeping track of my purchases would be helpful. I think I am going to make a list of everything makeup I buy this year. I think it will be good to have to reflect on it not only from month to month, but at the end of the year too. :D 

Four bags!  Good job!

I've now pretty much decided I'm gonna try to do a 10-makeup-item year.  However makeup never became a problem to me until recently.  I tend to hoard one type of item, and when I try to stop I move to hoarding a different type of item.  If it's not makeup, it's music or books or clothes or garden seeds or whatever.  I'd already realized that spending and hoarding in general is a problem I want to curb this year.  Hearing her talk through trying to change her thought processes to change her behavior is helpful to me.

I almost feel like I shouldn't convince myself into a low/no buy because that sets me up to buy everything ever. U G H. Next month: swear I'm not going to buy nail polish. At this point it's not even spending money -- I just have too much STUFF to deal with right now

:C Maybe all the money I will need to shell out for furniture this month will convince me to be more prudent next month.

I did good I just skipped on the bhcosmetic party girl posted haha I didnt want it to be one of my 10 items! That got me to say no thank you real quick:)

Dior - have you decided to do "Make Out 2013"?!  Have you already decided what you will/won't put in to it?

If there are several people who want to give it a try, maybe we could start a thread and support each other.  Also could help keep us accountable, if we're keeping our count here.  I'm game, if anyone else is!

Originally Posted by mellee View Post

Dior - have you decided to do "Make Out 2013"?!  Have you already decided what you will/won't put in to it?

If there are several people who want to give it a try, maybe we could start a thread and support each other.  Also could help keep us accountable, if we're keeping our count here.  I'm game, if anyone else is!

Looks like a thread was already started (http://www.makeuptalk.com/t/132192/makeout-2013)   They thanked you for pointing them to the PinkSoFoxy video.  Looks like this will be quite a phenomenon this year!  I'm still contemplating joining but not sure whether I have the willpower...is 10 items really enough to tide you over for an entire year?

btw for people purging their collections and getting rid of stuff....where do you get rid of it??  I'm tempted to just take everything I have on my trade list and donate to goodwill or something.  But not sure whether goodwill takes that sort of stuff.  I guess I could just call them.

Originally Posted by nishino View Post

Looks like a thread was already started (http://www.makeuptalk.com/t/132192/makeout-2013)   They thanked you for pointing them to the PinkSoFoxy video.  Looks like this will be quite a phenomenon this year!  I'm still contemplating joining but not sure whether I have the willpower...is 10 items really enough to tide you over for an entire year?

Oh!  Well... Goodie!  =)  Thanks!  Huh.  Well, since I'm the one who opened up this whole can 'o worms, I guess I should do it, eh?  wink.gif 

I'd guess whether 10 items is enough depends on what you have and what you decide to count.  I mean, if you change mascaras every other month and don't have any backups, you may wanna omit them from your 10, like PinkSoFoxy did with false eyelashes.  I think the idea is to really think about what's enough when you're not caught up in the midst of an impulse, make a decision of what's right for you, and write it down so it's an actual concrete limit you want to impose, rather than the nebulous idea of "I've got too much and I should quit buying!  Right after this purchase..."

None of our shelters around here take makeup unless it's new and still wrapped, from what I see googling it.  Best I can suggest is googling "donate used makeup" and your city name.

So how's everyone doing?  We finally passed the mid-month mark, I have to say it's been hard to constrain my itchy trigger finger when it comes to online shopping.  I go to one site, put together a nice shopping cart "just for fun", do the same thing at the next site, etc.  

On the other hand I have managed to successfully browse around in-store at Sephora several times without purchasing anything (once because the item I wanted, a lash comb, was sold out).

So far I _have_ caved a few times:

1. benefit cream shadow -- free shipping code and it was on clearance!  $11

2. maybelline color tattoo in too cool from my RiteAid $5.50

these are going to be my eye primers, i rarely use eye primers but feel like i really need something to brighten up my eye area so the colors can show up.  <--- look at me rationalizing LOL

Wow, mid month already? I'm doing great. Not a single makeup purchase. My goal is nothing until at least March 1st. I set up a nice cart on Dior and if I succeed I'll click buy on the 1st. They are a few limited edition things so who knows if they will even be available by then, just proud I'm able to resist it for now. :D Feeling really good about this month so far. Almost finished up a foundation and tackling some samples. Come to think of it, my moisturizer is almost out too! Hooray. We've made it this far, we can certainly go all the way ladies. Good luck. :D

I tanked in the first 6 days. Plus I realized I get three beauty sub boxes. All three are new to me and I totally forgot about them on my no buy. I am going to cancel one plus I am not going to buy anything else in store. Baby steps right.

My mineral foundation is too dark, so I ordered a few ounces of base ingredient to lighten it - that'll set me for foundation for a long time, and immediately after placing the order I began my Make Out 2013.  Other than that, beauty-wise I've bought one pkg cotton rounds and a bottle of castile soap (I ran out of morning cleanser). 

Not bad for a low-buy!  =)

Im trying to make-and-do with the products i already own, for instance, I run outta gel liner? I get some of that black eyeshadow and mix in face mosturizer and a few drops and distilled water and im good to go for another month! :)

I'm on a no/low beauty buy for january and february...although i did cheat and buy the Balm Jovie palette when it was on sale at birchbox with my points. besides that, i only paid for my bb subscription this month (but that doesn't count)

so far i've been pretty good. i have a lot of samples to run through and i'm happy with all the make up items i already own. this has been pretty hard since i got my 3 month bb anniversary coupon and there's a new vib gift thingy from sephora. i just have to keep reminding myself that

1) i don't *need* anything

2) i gotta save up for extra fun funds during grad school

3) there's no point in buying stuff i don't absolutely need if i'm just trying to chase a "free" gift/sample set

keep on keeping on!

I did well for most of December and January. Today, I went to Nordstrom Rack and picked up a five set of mini Urban Decay liners since I wanted them when I first saw them there in November or December. I think I'm going on a budget rather than a no-buy for 2013.

I'm doing really good. I did buy some headphones which I didn't need but wanted to use for walking on the treadmill. Trades are helping immensely. I've also started pressing pigments & loose eyeshadows. I actually put money in our savings! Usually, I spend whatevers left over on makeup.