January 2013 No-Buy/Low-Buy Thread!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay ladies, a new month (and a new year!) are here, so let's do this thing. What are your no-buy/low-buy plans for January?

Hi ladies, I'm actually new to the makeuptalk forums but I seriously need help with my no-buy resolution!  I'm so glad you have this support group thing going.

I was telling my sister that years ago when I first started, I purchased maybe one item a year at Sephora.  Then it became three items every six months, then five every two months, then....oh I'm embarrassed to go on.  Think logarithmic scale.  Anyways I was increasingly dismayed at how much I was spending and started raiding drugstores for makeup instead of Sephora, which is totally irrational because I don't actually NEED any more stuff but helps my guilty conscience that it costs so much less.  My sister doesn't use makeup at all and was totally mystified at my pain.  

So i'm soooooo glad you guys are here!  Finally, someone who understands!

Anyways, in January I absolutely must NOT buy anymore eyeshadow!  (Why are those gorgeous new palettes so damn tempting, boohoo)

Also no more cosmetics or skin-care products since I am fully stocked (and then some) on most stuff!

The only exception would be something that is not currently in my routine, like a good concealer for dry under eye skin (see? I'm already building in loopholes....)

ok, I must confess, I did buy a $9 NYX contouring kit at Nordstrom Rack today..... :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  But I didn't have one before!

I'm on board !!! I have such a ridiculous amout of products samples etc I am on a strict no buy . I really don't need anything ! I am staying subscribed to bb, ss and might keep the natural beauty box but no other purchases!!! Might be a contender for hoarders lol!

I say all the time that I'm not buying anything, so I'm hoping that if I go on the record, it might work. I'm still on vacation until the weekend, and when I get back home I'm buying some Lush shampoo and conditioner. And then no products at all until the end of the month. Nothing but food! And "beverages" of course. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm on a low buy this month, with a goal of only buying something from beauty.com in order to use up my "bonus" money before it expires at the end of January.  Since free shipping starts at $25, I'm hoping to not exceed that range.

I'm on a necessity only buy. It's hard and I am struggling. Stupid nail polish I want
icon_mad.gif

I was planning to do a strict no buy unless absolutely neccessary (which means no make up at all and very little skincare) but I don't think I'll make it and would just be setting myself up for failure. I'm going to try to restrain, but I don't think I can declare a no buy yet. I wanted to do a year long one but seeing as I've struggled to make it through a month long no buy I don't think that is in the works for me.

And I just realized I bought make up yesterday at the grocery store so I already broke my year long no buy on day 1. lol welp.

Hopefully going on a strict no buy for a few months. At least until the end of February so that I can get a big ticket item on my wishlist (non beauty). Plus I might be going to IMATS in April so in preparation, I should probably not buy anything new. Good luck everyone. The new year is a time for new beginnings. If you didn't do your best last year, this is the time to change. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> We can do it. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm on a NO-BUY for January. I got wayyyyy too much makeup for my birthday and Christmas. I'm always tempted to make an online purchase since there are always great deals but, do I need anymore makeup? NOPE! Do I want to make an impulse purchase just because I want (don't need) makeup!? Psssh ALL THE TIME! ;p This month I'm staying clear from buying any cosmetics! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I'm SO on board.  If I run out of something very important - like the only exfoliant I found that doesn't send my skin into rosaceahell - I'll replace it.  Otherwise, no beauty stuff for at least three months.

Good luck to us! 
goldcup.gif

Edit ~ Erhm...  maybe I should just focus on ONE month to begin with, huh?

LOL!  yes, one month ahead is all I can handle at this point!

Jackiee21 love the attitude!  That's exactly what I have to say to myself when temptation strikes....Do I need it? NOPE!!!

Today I already resisted the temptation to :

1. order Laura Mercier Flawless Face Kit online (everything was 20% off today!)

2. make myself feel better for not ordering the LM Kit by purchasing a bunch of Maybelline Eye Studio Color Tattoo cream shadows

3. order a bunch of random stuff off Sephora just to get their free deluxe samples

this is exhausting....it's only Jan 2....

Ladies, I am NOT on a low buy/no buy this month!  I will support you all, and probably read this board from time to time, but this is my birthday month, and I am giving myself permission to buy something if I want it.  Back to no buy next month. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Although I am going to continue to try and use up samples and full size products this month.  Ideally, I'll go through 7 samples and 2 full size.

As far as buying beauty stuff goes, I actually didn't do too badly in December. I'll go ahead and fess up about what I did buy, though!

I had a gift card to Dillard's, so after Christmas I purchased the Enchanted Wonderstruck and Wonderstruck gift sets. They were both 50% off, so I ended up only paying about $40 total for both of them. I also ordered two bottles of Snow Angel from Philosophy, so I am pretty well stocked on body wash for awhile.

There's absolutely nothing that I need at this point, but after reflecting on my purchasing this past year, I've realized its inevitable that I'll end up buying something, so I've resolved to be smart about it. I'm going to go for very low, minimal spending on beauty products this next year, and checking out the less expensive drugstore items first. I also really need to take time to think about something and whether or not I'll use it as much as I'd like before I buy it. This past year, I bought several items that have just kind of sat around because they're really not my style at all (hello, MAC lipstick in Morange!). The goal is to get rid of that impulsive spending that leads to me buying stuff like that. 

But for January...I'm gonna need to do a strict no-buy for this month. We spent a lot of money on gifts, travel, doing fun stuff, and eating out during November and December, so our finances took a hard hit. The only item that is a definite must for a repurchase this month is my special Aveeno eczema lotion for my hands. Other than that, I think I have multiples that can replace items. Oh, and this month, I want to keep track of my empties. I think it kinda helps you feel like you're making big progress, ya know?

ladygrey, i take great pleasure in collecting my empties (and also just lazy so they tend to hang around for a while before going in the trash).  nothing wrong with gloating over the accomplishment of finishing some product or other!

maybe this year I should make it a point to only get travel- or sample-size stuff...

I officially declare myself on a no buy until April or May. (I can hear some of you laughing right now.) I went to Sephora yesterday to buy a couple of things and to use my VIB 10% of coupon and to cash in 500 points. I have been waiting to cash my points because the stores near me haven't had any good points perks sets lately. But yesterday I got the Buxom shimmer shine and smoke set with my points. Now that I have used my coupon and points I am hoping this takes away any urges to buy for a while. But I have Birchbox and ipsy so hoping these will curb my craving.

Originally Posted by nishino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ladygrey, i take great pleasure in collecting my empties (and also just lazy so they tend to hang around for a while before going in the trash).  nothing wrong with gloating over the accomplishment of finishing some product or other!

maybe this year I should make it a point to only get travel- or sample-size stuff...
It's so satisfying! My husband thinks it's really odd. The last time I did it, he was like, "Uhhhh...what's up with this bag of garbage in the bathroom cabinet??"

I'm on a year-long no buy. I kept contemplating doing one since last October and plan to go through with it. I've let my best gals know about this too, since our shopping sessions are never complete without a stop at some sort of makeup counter 
icon_rolleyes.gif
. I'm going to need all the support I can get, so here's to a happy and healthy 2013!

I was on a strict no buy for the month of December. Christmas and all ya know....But I couldn't help myself- I had to use the Urban Decay code that came in the December Ipsy bag...I put it off for a week until UD announced the three Deluxe samples while they were on a shipping vacation...plus they had the mystery grab bag for $16??? I did some searching and found out it came with a full size naked gloss and three deluxe samples...and free shipping at $35??? How was I possibly supposed to say no to all this????? So I got a $36 shadow box on sale for $19 and the mystery sample bag for $16...$35 on the nose. With the samples they threw in and the ipsy code that totals TEN DELUXE SAMPLES, A shadow box, and a naked lip gloss all for only $35!!!! Tell me no one else is drooling!!!! In other news, I'm back to no buy until taxes come in...unless I really fall in love with something that comes in my birchbox I can get free shipping and use my points on or I run out of porefessional...I have a couple sephora-made samples of it and like three minis so I think I make use them up so I think I'll make it...January is "foil pack use up month!"

I think I'm going to be on a low buy although I was already planning to buy some more nail polish but i am convincing myself I dont need it.

You ladies that are going to do a no buy for over a month are brave! I hope you get through it and you guys will be an inspiration for me to be on a no buy soon :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back