How to take good pictures of loose powder mineral makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have tried everything I can think of to take some quality pictures of some of my loose powder mineral eye shadows.  I have tried to build my own light box and I don't know if I did it right.  I have tried lights as bright as the sun and even using glossy photo paper as a base.  So far nothing is working and I get major glare, fuzzy pictures, or not even close to the actual color.  Just wondering if I am missing the trick so if anyone can lend some suggestions I would very much appreciate it.  I have an 8 megapixel camera and it seems to take decent picures otherwise.  I have tried every setting the camera has and it just doesn't come out right.

No I don't.  I have tried super up close macro mode and also far away using zoom features and I just can't get it.  I get wicked shadow on one side of some of the better pictures.

Put your light source on one side shining down at about a 45 degree angle. On the other, take a piece of white tag board, bend it, and stand it up so that the product is inside the ark of the tag board but the tag board is not in the frame of the picture. If the back shadow is still too dark, cover the paper in aluminum foil and repeat. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by jaydhagberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Put your light source on one side shining down at about a 45 degree angle. On the other, take a piece of white tag board, bend it, and stand it up so that the product is inside the ark of the tag board but the tag board is not in the frame of the picture. If the back shadow is still too dark, cover the paper in aluminum foil and repeat.

Hope this helps.
Love this tip, I've used it in the past but eventually what I bought was a 99 cent car window shield because one side has the "aluminum" to block the sun and it works great to bounce light back. Eventually I gave that up too because my cats always thought it was play time when I pulled it out.

Thanks so much for the idea. I am going to give it a shot tonight and see how things come out.  I thought using glossy photo paper would work to bounce the light around but it just made a wicked glare and when I moved the camera to get rid of the glare I got bad shadow on one side.  I appreciate the ideas.  Thanks much! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back