[RANT] Why do companies use other peoples images without permission?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It seems to a lot of that lately. A few weeks ago I recall several nail bloggers images being used without their permission from a different company (off hand can't recall which bloggers and what company used their images without permission) then most recently RoseShock's images were being used by a company in Arizona to promote their products.

Tonight Shany Cosmetics posted on their Facebook wall a picture of Ana Roza and posted how to achieve the look using one of their 120 palettes. I was some what shocked to see Ana's photo there, a few weeks before Wet 'n' Wild used another of her images on their own wall. Just because she's a Brazilian blogger doesn't mean she doesn't have US followers or that her images should be used to promote another company's products. I posted on Shany Cosmetics wall in reply that the image was Ana's and posted the link to the blog entry but within hours my reply was deleted and I was banned from their wall! I've since emailed the CEO of the company about it but wanted to rant about it here as well because I think any company that uses another bloggers image to promote their own products is being deceptive.

Here is the link to Ana's blog entry: http://www.anaroza.com/2011/04/look-colorido.html

Ana used a 120 palette from a company in Brazil that looks to have gone out of business.

What do you think?

Edit: I emailed the CEO who is out of the country until the 5th but I also messaged their Facebook manager and received an apology and was unbanned. I was told that my post was mistaken as spam and next time to message them. I was also told the image came from Pinterest and was asked if I knew if Ana used Shany's palette. Ana hasn't updated her blog in ages however the palette she used was from a now defunct Brazilian company. The look, as I had originally mentioned on my own wall, can be duplicated but not with the palette they were promoting in that wall entry.

OMG... I'm shocked! All bloggers should start incorporating a watermark on their photos, but the downfall is obviously anything can be photoshopped. So many companies these days have ZERO integrity... Shame on them

I was really shocked to hear about that Arizona company using Rose Shock's images, she has such a distinctive look I'm surprised no one found out about it sooner!

Wow, its one thing to use their photo without permission or giving credit but it's not even their palette! We should report the photo or something.

I've talked to the Shany Cosmetics FB wall manager and found out that the image came from Pinterest and she even provided me the link. I snooped and found out that someone else originally stole Ana's work in 2011.

The Pinterest link went to http://www.luuux.com/health-beauty/mermaid-eyeshadow-look which that person gave credit to http://www.polyvore.com/mermaid_look/set?id=38534123&lid=784008 and it's at Polyvore that someone using the screen name mimiiemouse claims to have made the look.

To be perfectly honest I have seen her photographs and many, many other bloggers on not only Pinterest but Tumblr, Flickr and many other image sharing sites. It is unfortunate that the people who dedicate all of this time and effort in beauty and blogging don't get credit most of the time. While a lot of people post these innocently out of admiration on place like Pinterest, in the business world they know better. It is the business' job to create their own looks and promotional images.

Companies really need to give credit. It happens so much more with the internet but it even happens in print. One of my husband's pictures was published in a magazine. The picture was 1/2 a page and he was not credited. When he contacted the magazine they told him they would never publish him again. He wasn't rude, just asked if they could do something to credit him. I can't remember what magazine it was but it could have been a big opportunity since the distribution went beyond just San Diego, I believe it also covered Scottsdale and another city.

In your husband's case did her pursue the matter for some type of compensation after they decided to be jerks?

That is absolutely horrible! It also reminds me of this picture

I've seen sugar pill and this particular company use it many times. I'm not sure if it's photostock for by a true artist. 

Edit: Removed link, added photo

He did not pursue it at the time. He has mainly done photography for fun. It was bugging me so much I could not remember what magazine. It was 944 and I found the pic on facebook.

I see stuff like this alll the time--thanks to Pinterest/Weheartit/Tumblr/etc, images often go uncredited. I've seen her eyes all over Pinterest, but never knew who the original artist was because the pics usually weren't linked to her blog. I guess the mentality is--ehh, it's on the web, might as well use it. This happens to photographs in general--you always hear of lawsuits from random photographers because their copyrighted images were used as stock for some random company. There's more of a grey area when it comes to news publications, but they're usually guilty of that too now (e.g., CNN laid off a bunch of their photojournalists).

As much as I like Gossmakeupartist, he's really guilty of using random images as thumbnails :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. I've only seen him credit like, one image out of the hundreds he's used.

I know I'm guilty of using other people's photos and not crediting them, I can't say I NEVER have because that would be a lie. I just wonder what in the world the employees of these companies are thinking. I really wish I could remember the nail company that most recently used a bunch of nail bloggers images and edited out the watermarks from their images to use in their ads. I know a couple of the nail bloggers in question whose work was used without permission. Then there is the case of China Glaze using - albeit it was the artist they hired that stole the work - of another person. (I'm pretty sure there's a thread in the nail section about that.)

Originally Posted by americanclassic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I see stuff like this alll the time--thanks to Pinterest/Weheartit/Tumblr/etc, images often go uncredited.
As someone who uses the photo sharing sites I try to find the source when I can but that isn't always possible because sometimes people save and upload them without a link. There is a big difference between someone unknowingly posting a picture on Pinterest than a company using it for a promotional image. The difference is the money that company is making and the average Pinterest user isn't. I do agree that image theft is rampant but it is the ethical responsibility of these companies to get permission, give credit and/or pay the artist. It is up to us to hold these companies accountable by notifying the artists when we see their work stolen.

Its really a shame that this is happening. The core of it is that companies, especially small, are all for free advertisement. They are trying to increase sales, so integrity is thrown out the door. Why spent money paying models, makeup artists, and photographers, when they can be scum and steal from another. Problem with that is they can possibly be sued and lose their company. Unfortunately, we live in a world of shortcuts, liars, and people unwilling to work hard to gain wealth.  

This happened to me twice, with two different looks, by two different companies, both in early 2011.  I think it's important for makeup artists and makeup bloggers to google image search their own most popular images to see where they're popping up and what's being done with them. It sucks that we have to police everyone like that, but we do. I've been called a "shameless self promoter" for putting my makeup facebook URL on all of my images and including my URL wherever I post, but I'm too scared NOT too. I want people to know where my stuff actually links back to so it doesn't get taken anymore. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Airi Magdalene /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This happened to me twice, with two different looks, by two different companies, both in early 2011.  I think it's important for makeup artists and makeup bloggers to google image search their own most popular images to see where they're popping up and what's being done with them. It sucks that we have to police everyone like that, but we do. I've been called a "shameless self promoter" for putting my makeup facebook URL on all of my images and including my URL wherever I post, but I'm too scared NOT too. I want people to know where my stuff actually links back to so it doesn't get taken anymore. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Better to be a "shameless self promoter" than a ripped off artist.

I don't think my images will ever be stolen cuz I don't make anything that looks "too cool" to be taken...but either way this is making me kinda want to put a watermark on my pics

I do add watermarks and I don't. I should be more consistent. I'm the same way Gabi, I think no one will take or use my pics but a nail blogger friend of mine sent me two urls to blog entries of people using one of my pics (I did give them consent after I found out). So it's a good idea to add a watermark even if it's just your blog's url just in case.

Latest posts

Back