Makeup Starter Kit

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm brand new to makeup, and I've been wanting to start purchasing makeup and begin trying different looks. I've been watching youtube vids and getting tons of awesome tips from you ladies on here. I was just wondering if you could give  me a suggestion. I want to start building my makeup collection but I'm not sure where to begin! So if you were putting together a "makeup starter kit" what would you include in it? you can be as vauge or specific as you like, it will all be much appreciated! Also if you'd like to suggest any specifc brands that would be great also!

*in case you need to know*

skin color: chocolatey brown. 

skin type: dry

hair color: black

eye color:dark brown

Thank you in advance!!

When I started out, I had some cheap drug store stuff, but none of it really worked other than the foundation. So I went to Sephora for my birthday with some things in mind.

I knew I wanted to play with dramatic eyes. This probably is not for everyone, but I am a self portraitist so most of the make-up I do is for my pictures. What I wear out is different and when I first started I did not really wear anything out. So I knew I wanted eye shadow products mainly. And I had heard a lot about eyelid primers so I knew I wanted that. I also really wanted some purple eye shadow and having done some research I knew I should probably swatch things and look for pigmented shadows. So when I went in I asked the salesperson about the eyelid primers first and got that right away. Then I started looking at eyeshadows in purple. In my case Kat von D had a nice palette with purples and greys/silvers/blacks that looked perfect for me. I liked the idea of a palette because it gave me more options to play with and was less expensive than buying a lot of individual shadows. I also ended up buying a smokey-eye brush (which has not been the best thing, honestly), and a matte eyeshadow palette that is more "wearing out during the day" friendly.

So I would suggest you figure out what you want to try first. Are you more into lips or eyes? Those tend to have the most variation. In either case I would then look for sets or palettes of that product. And do not be afraid to talk to the salespeople if you go some place like Sephora or Ulta. The ladies in Sephora are always really helpful. I also recommend reading reviews and posts in places like here on Make Up Talk, so you can avoid any products that are generally not that great. Also, mini sizes, samples, and gift sets are a great way to go to try things before you invest in the larger sizes.

As far as basics go, I think a good kit would have:

- a foundation and powder

- brushes

- a shade or two of blush if you wear it

- a couple lipsticks (maybe one more neutral and one more vibrant or rich), or more if you like lipstick

- a few lip glosses if you wear them, I like them to give me color that sort of blends with my own tones and for day to day wear

- a nice neutral eyeshadow palette or set of colors (mine has a peach, different shades of brown, and a black)

- a mascara

- make-up remover

Thank you so much! This really helps a lot. I always get soo intimidated when I go in places like Sephora because I feel like everyone in there already knows what they're looking for and I'm just aimlessly wandering around! But I will deff ask for help from the sales people the next time I go. I think I want to try different colors more with eyes, and just stick with a more neutral lip for now.

My biggest tip for starting out is to buy makeup sets or palettes. Especially if you're purchasing higher-end things, value sets are usually a great value and let you try out multiple things and you're not stuck with a full size of something you don't like. Benefit in particular is one of my favorite brands and always has sets with multiple minis, sometimes as low as $10. Palettes are awesome for this too - I pretty much never buy single eyeshadows. UD makes my favorite eyeshadows, but at $18 a pop, I'd much rather buy a palette for $50 that has 12 of them.

At sephora They have starter kits for all colored eyes for around 20 bucks

Originally Posted by missnaya /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thank you so much! This really helps a lot. I always get soo intimidated when I go in places like Sephora because I feel like everyone in there already knows what they're looking for and I'm just aimlessly wandering around! 
Hi Missnaya, aimlessly wandering around Sephora was exactly how I got started when I first wanted to explore makeup!  That's one of the best things about Sephora, they let you wander around and sample stuff to your heart's content so you can really take your time and decide what you want (or just look around to see what's available) without being pressured by salespeople to buy something right away.

That said, I agree with the idea of getting starter kits.  My makeup education really kicked off after I purchased two starter kits from Bare Minerals -- one for face (foundation, finishing powder, brushes) and one for eyes (shadows, liner, and more brushes).  Plenty of brands have nice kits like that containing multiple items so I'm sure you can find one that fits your needs!

I would definitely start with a palette for good range for eye color. I also found that when i was just starting out that the Bare Minerals starter kits (brushes + color) to be very very helpful. I also didn't want to clear out my bank account at once so I went for drug store mascaras & lip colors and liners and ecotools for other brushes.

I also was interested in Clinique so I wanted until there was a gift with purchase to have more stuff to play with!

My experience with Sephora has always been good. If you let them know that you are new and that you have a budget they tend to work with you. I would recommend going when they might not be so busy if you can so they have time to talk with you. It is probably a good idea to have a basic idea of what you want, but they can definitely help you find things.

Starter kits are a great way to test out different products, but look for quality over quantity. If you want to buy your own stuff individually, I'd recommend:

Shadows: Wet n Wild makes decent ones for the price (ditto on their lipsticks). A great neutral palette is a solid investment (e.g. the Lorac Pro Palette, Naked I/II, etc). You should have:

-a brow highlighter: usually a cream-colored matte.

-a light, shimmery highlighter: for the inner corners of your eyes. Could also double as an all-around highlighter.

-a lid color, a slightly darker color, and a dark outer-v/smokey eyeshadow (usually in the same color family).

Tools: Good makeup application requires good tools. I'd recommend:

-The Ecotools 6-piece eye set. I think they're the best bang-for-your-buck brushes :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

-ELF studio brushes--the fan brush is great for highlighters, if you use them. 

-An eyelash curler; I hear Revlon makes decent ones, though I use a Shu Uemura.

-Eyeshadow primer: you don't need it, but it does make a difference.

Face: If dryness is your only issue, you might as well go for a tinted moisturizer instead of a heavy foundation. You don't really need tools to apply tinted moisturizers. Avoid powder foundations.

Cheeks: The key with blushes is to be subtle--you don't want cockatiel cheeks. If you're going to use a shimmery blush, skip the highlighter. I think ELF studio blushes are great, but my favorites are from Tarte. My favorite highlighter is The Balm's "Mary Lou Manizer", but you could really use any shimmery highlighting eyeshadow. Bronzers are tricky to master, so I'd skip them for now.

Eyeliner: In order of complexity, I'd go with pencil liner > felt-tip liner > gel liner > brush-tip liquid liner, with pencils being the easiest to master. In addition to a black liner, you can also get a highlighter pencil (e.g. NYX "cottage cheese")--adds a nice subtle pop to your inner corners/lower lashline.

Lips: If you want to wear lipstick, invest in a lip liner (darker/vivid lipsticks aren't very forgiving with smudges). If you have an ULTA nearby, raid the NYX section.

Brows: Don't forget them! They help frame your face. Look up videos on YT for how to groom your brows and such.

Storage: If you're looking for a cheap way to store your makeup, I'd get a multi-tiered tackle box or hobby box--they're like train cases except much cheaper and very sturdy:

(the one I have is clear, so it's not that fugly lol)

I store my brushes in a small vase filled with beans; you could use rice, but it's heavier and would make a terrible mess if spilled.

Hi there....

I must say 'Americanclassic' nailed it. (kudos to your suggestions)

My two cents:

1) start with a good skin care routine. I use Olay complete or Total Effects 7 in 1. I have sensitive skin so the complete really works for me but when I want a slight scrub I use the Total Effects Citrus cleanser. I wasn't a huge fan of the total effects moisturizer so I stayed with the complete moisturizer. I must admit I tried to Wal-Mart brand that was similar to Olay, well it didn't compare. I would highly recommend Olay (and only Olay) products because they are awesome. Don't cut corners like I tried. lol. My face did break out.

* a really good DIY scrub i found useful for breakouts was 1 tbs Raw Honey, 1 tsp of Lemon (it was cheaper to buy a whole lemon and have my fiance squeeze it for me), and 1 tbs of Raw Sugar ( i used what i had in the kitchen mixed with in the Raw Sugar). After a few batches you can learn what consistency you like and begin to tweak it a bit. I read this in an article and tried it and haven't had breakouts ((kudos to essence for the article)). If you have an Ulta near you, they run regular sales on Olay or their fliers are always $3.50 off $10. I use this all the time. DON'T FORGET TO MOISTURIZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is by far the most important step, of course after cleanse. :)

2) When I began my collection I went straight for the best, MAC Cosmetics, one because their artists suggested great products and two the products lasted a really long time. I started out with my favorite colors (or what looked good on me, eyeshadow wise). However that shot me in the foot because I started out with good products so now anything I use its not similar to MAC. I have noticed while I'm branching out to other brands that Sephora, Tarte, and Urban Decay are among other brands that are really nice. Tarte has really good concealers and blushes, UD has the naked palette's that are amazing! *I suggest to start there, but its a bit costly $50/palette), and Sephora brand seems to do well too. Its kind of a hit or miss with some of their things.

- foundation/base : definitely start with mineral makeup and branch out from there. Mac has mineral foundation that is very sheer but build-able.

- concealer : if you need one than I suggest the Tarte maracuja crease-less concealer. I use tan only because sometimes I don't have to use foundation with it, but I do need to set it with a powder. I hear great things about Cover-Girl's trueblend, its just not my cup of tea.

- eye-shadows: **here's the fun part** because its so many options its like a playground. Remember one thing, makeup is like art. if you don't like it, wash it off and start over. but if you love it, it will be your most prized asset/masterpiece. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I would advise to stay away from Ulta brand eye-shadows. they don't show up! Try to begin with a palette that way you can learn what fits you best. I hear great things about BH Cosmetics. Try others too: UD, MAC, TARTE, STELLA, SEPHORA... just to name a few. The only way to know if it works for you is to try it. So dig in! **you'll have fun too**

- eyebrows: DON'T NEGLECT THEM. Gossmakeupartist on youtube has great tutorials. I used a eye pencil by MAC (spiked), but realized I was buying them every month so I switched to a liner (mac Dipdown) and an angle brush. I'm still learning how to perfect them but I also watch YOUTUBE tutorials for help. I also like NYX brow duo to set them or to fill them in. I watched itsjudytime on youtube and decided to give it a try.

- lips: gloss or stick. just make sure you moisturize them too. I'm a 'liplube'aholic so any chapstick out there I've tried. I really like the Euros lip balls in the summer but in the winter I try to use a lip scrub (the DIY scrub works wonders on this) but to moisturize I like the Josie Maran Argan lip treatment. I get samples from Sephora, lol a little goes a long way. Eventually I will buy the full size but at the moment I have two samples that have lasted me over a month.

- misc: you can use a bronzer just be careful on something too shiny. I haven't found a good one worth mentioning, I've had the Mac mineral bronzer but I got bored with it. So I've been trying different things. A great setting powder is Makeup Forever I got it for $10 at sephora and its a small size but that too goes a long way because you don't need much.

- brushes: my first kit came from walmart after holiday sale. I've had these brushes for several years (< 8 yrs). They were synthetic but cheap. I take good care of them with a shampoo or bath and body works foam soap. Brushes are brushes and they will all do the job. I prefer synthetic ones because they last longer and don't hold makeup inside the brush. Don't be afraid to buy cheap one (Target sells Elf brushes for $1 or $3). Its good to a powder brush, a blush brush, a few medium eyeshadow brushes, an angle brush to begin with. You'll begin to know what brushes you will need after a few practices. Start basic with brushes and work your way up. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

hope this helps you (and any others that read this). Happy makeup hunting. You're in for a real treat. Don't get overwhelmed when making a choice. Ask for help if you don't understand anything. Just be careful with some counters because they try to sell you anything. You will know what looks best on your skin and if you like what you see. Only purchase what you like not what they think looks good on you. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Wet N Wild has great 8 pan shadow palettes with amazing pigmentation. Second their lipsticks, too. I am in love with my Urban Decay Naked2 palette, as well as the BH Party Girl palette. Pencil eye liner will probably be easier to start with, as already mentioned. If you want to go liquid, I love Eyeko skinny liners. The tips are felt like pens and easy to work with. I'd also recommend Tarte gel liners, although I hear Essence makes a good and much cheaper gel liner. Brushes are a must have and I've really enjoyed the ELF studio line. I also have several Mary Kay and Sephora brands..I'm still accumulating my brush stash, so next on my list to buy is Sonia Kashuk, Real Techniques, and Eco Tools. I keep hearing good things about those brands. If you don't need foundation and have great skin, I'd also just use a tinted moisturizer or a BB cream. I'm currently loving Dr. Jart BB cream and Revlon Color Stay is my HG foundation. Powder blushes are easiest to start using, but as mentioned, you'll want a nice and natural flush, not a crazy streak of color. For bronzers, matte bronzers are more flattering for light to medium skin tones. Or just use a highlighter..either product will emphasize and define areas of your face, giving you some contouring. Current faves for blushes are ELF studio blush in Twinkle Pink, theBalm Hot Mama, a new Wet N Wild blush(can't remember the name, sorry)and a Laura Gellar blush/bronzer combo. Highlighter...I'm using theBalm Mary LouManizer, but any champagne/pearl/pinky/light gold eye shadow would probably suffice. Eye brows..yep, definitely take care of those and keep them groomed. I'd caution to not make them super skinny..they'll never grow back right. Fuller brows are becoming popular again and look better, IMO. Mascara, mascara, mascara! I love it! I will often layer two types, especially for nights out. I like L'Oreal Voluminous, Benefit's They're Real, Maybelline Falsies, Tarte's Lights, Camera, Action mascara and DiorLash Extase. Don't forget to curl your lashes before application, it definitely makes a difference! Brands I love and are in my stash: Urban Decay, Wet N Wild, Smashbox, Tarte, Sephora+Pantone, L'Oreal, Maybelline, Ben Nye, Nars, Hard Candy, Revlon, there's so many lol. I'd do some research before buying and definitely look for quality over quantity. Also, drugstore brands have made great improvements with products and qualities. Just because the brand has a prestige name, doesn't mean the quality is there. Do your research online and look for swatches, reviews, etc. Also look for dupes; dunno where your budget is, but why spend say..$50 on a product when another performs as well, looks the same or close to and is X times cheaper? Good luck and when you start accumulating products, I'd love to know what you got!

The most important thing in my makeup kit is a cream color by Ben Nye called golden rod [ a little goes a long way ] because all the eye shadow, cheek color and lip product wont matter if the foundation color is off.

The basics are primer, foundation, powder, and brows. Get those covered and then you can go wild experimenting with just about anything! This will give you a great canvas with a nice frame for anything you want to paint. 

starter kit: 

• face primer for dry skin 
  • foundation 
  • concealer palette 
  • blush (2 different tones so you can change it up from time to time) 
  • eye shadow palettes such as: sleek, MUA, Wet N Wild... from pearly, to shimmer and to matte (so about 2 fun palettes and 1 matte palette) 
  • lip palette or 5 different lipstick shades
  • lip gloss 
  • black kohl pencil 
  • mascara 
  • 3 different pairs of fake lashes (everyday, glamourous and dramatic) 
  • lash glue 

I hope I didn't skip anything but this is a makeup starter kit for personal use only. 

I'd say the big thing you want to do, if you're first starting out, is to go with a tinted moisturizer instead of a foundation. Getting the application, coverage and color right on a foundation is hard even if you've been a make-up junkie for a decade, like me. A tinted moisturizer is nicer to your skin, more hydrating and easier to blend into your natural skin color.

Wow, lots of great suggestions here. I'd just be repeating what everyone else has already posted. Great thread.

Foundation (liquid preferably but there are great powder ones too!), setting/finishing powder, a brow pencil, blush, lipstick, eyeshadow palettes, and makeup brushes...maybe a sponge (some people prefer one or the other..I say get them both and experiment!).  Oh!! And primers...face primers and eyeshadow primers.

Foundations: There is no one size fits all, so I'd have to ask what kind of coverage and finish you are going for. I'm a full coverage (sometimes medium) kinda gal and I love Cover FX "Natural FX water based foundation" (also has SPF in it YAY!!). It can be over the top dewy if you ever get a oily nose (I have fairly dry skin except for the nose by mid day), but if you use a mattifying primer like Illamasaqua Matt Primer is good for that! If I use a matt foundation (like MUFE matt velvet) though I tend to go the opposite direction with my primer...in which case I like Benefits "Porefessional" or Too Faced "Primed & Poreless".

Setting powders...a necessity if you like liquid or cream foundations. I used to use Laura Mercier translucent loose powder, but I recentally found more natural options on etsy that work better for me (looks less powdery and keeps my nose under control) if you're curious I get mine from SimplyJustMinerals on Etsy. 

Brow pencils...You're lucky girl! Since you have dark brows you'll find a ton of things that work great. I have pale brows so I basically have to go with the pricey ones to find something in my shade. 

Lipstick: I have a ton....Wet and Wild and NYX have gorgeous matte shades (bright and neutral) as well as some lovely glossy ones. 

Blush: Powder or Cream? I go back and forth with that. If you want to try cream (definitely use a brush) I'd recommend NYX. If you want powder then you've got got loads of options though I'd say the most lovely ones are Tartes "Amazonian Clay Blushes). Either way i'd recommend a peachy one and a pink one so you've got your bases covered. 

Eyeshadow primer: Honestly you can't go wrong with too faced or urban decay...both are great! 

Palettes: I'm an addict, I have a ton ranging form drugstore to urban decay. I would highly recommend Coastal Scents. If you get there" 252 ultimate palette" for $24.95 (sometimes less dependent if theres a sale) you can try all of there shades and it has plenty of bright colors as well as neutrals!! Also if you decide you must have bigger versions the singles (which are the size of MAC shadows with very similar pigmentation) for only $1.99 each!!! 

Lets talk brushes!! Real Techniques and Eco Tools are both affordable and fantastic quality! Eco Tools "Bronzer Brush" is a steal and it's a dupe for Tarte's "Airbrush Finish Foundation Brush" and yes, it's perfect for buffing in foundation! Another one off I'd highly recommend for foundation and blush is Real Techniques "Flawless Foundation Brush". If you want a kit I'd get the Real Techniques Core Collection (the gold ones). Oh...I'm SUPER picky about shadow brushes and my favorite is pricey, but you can get it on ebay for cheap...It's the Bare Minerals "Double Ended Precision Brush" . I like to pack on shadow and sometimes use my shadow for liner and this is great for both!!

I went to Ulta a few days ago and they had the Stila Written in the Stars eyeshadow palette for $12 on sale. It's a nice palette- filled with a mix of 12 matte and satin neutral shadows. I would also suggest a primer, concealer, liquid eyeliner, mascara, and powder foundation. Make sure you get a nice skincare system that removes makeup and will clean your pores.

Can any of you suggest a good brand for a tinted moisturizer? And also if using a tinted moisturizer what else do I need to use with it, and in what order? Sorry if this is an obvious question!

Back