Products not worth the hype

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are some products that you heard really great things about but were disappointed in when you tried them yourself?

My two big ones are Benefit's The Porefessional and Revlon Colorstay Whipped. I feel like the only person who gets bad results from The Porefessional! I love the texture and how it makes my skin look, but it makes my skin ridiculously oily and shiny after only about 2 hours. Super disappointed in this one since it's supposed to be mattifying. The Colorstay Whipped was a hand-me-down from my mom, who didn't like it. Same as The Porefessional, it seems to make my oily skin way worse and wears off super fast.

I was also disappointed with the Colorstay Whipped. The shades are off from the Colorstay liquid, and I feel like the coverage isn't as good either.

The Glamglow mud mask. I was dying to try it after all the hype. It did absolutely nothing for me. I get better results from a homemade aspirin and honey mask.

Not a huge fan of Benefit's High Beam--the shimmer was kind of sparse and chunky, and the color doesn't really look that natural as it's more white than anything else. I'm sure it looks gorgeous on others, but I prefer powder highlighters.

Urban Decay eye shadows - so much fallout! Disappointing as I like the brand and really wanted to love the Naked palettes but it just wasn't going to happen. Revlon lip butters - okay but nothing special. I prefer L'Oreal Rouge Caresse for a balm type lipstick.

Originally Posted by VicC /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Urban Decay eye shadows - so much fallout! Disappointing as I like the brand and really wanted to love the Naked palettes but it just wasn't going to happen.

Revlon lip butters - okay but nothing special. I prefer L'Oreal Rouge Caresse for a balm type lipstick.
Both of those are two of my favorite products, haha

Urban Decay? I have great results with their shadows, but do find the glittery ones have some fall out. I usually apply extra translucent powder under my eyes and sweep it all off after I'm done with my eye shadow application.

I couldn't find a good color match for the Whipped foundation which is disappointing because I love the Colorstay foundation.

For me the biggest disappointments have been the Naked palettes. I've owned 1 & 2 and resold both. Just not the best investment for the fair skinned and cool toned. There were one or two shadows in each that I liked but I just kept passing over for my Inglot palettes.

Originally Posted by VicC /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Urban Decay eye shadows - so much fallout! Disappointing as I like the brand and really wanted to love the Naked palettes but it just wasn't going to happen.

Revlon lip butters - okay but nothing special. I prefer L'Oreal Rouge Caresse for a balm type lipstick.
I agree with the Urban Decay shadows having too much fallout. I returned the only palette I bought of theirs. I applied primer but still had more fallout than with any of my other shadows (Stila, theBalm, Estee Lauder, etc). The glitter ones were the worse.

My biggest disappointment has been Dior's Diorshow mascara. I had noticed many people mention it as a holy grail product in blogs and reviews, so I went ahead and bought it hoping to find that it was also my holy grail. I found it to be overwhelmingly clumpy and didn't lengthen much at all. I tried combing my lashes, wiggling the wand up during application, and blinking into the wand during application, but with the same results. To top it all off, it had a horrible medicinal smell that made putting it on sickening. After finishing the tube, I couldn't believe so many people held it in such high regard. Still baffles me whenever someone says they like it, especially at a price point of $25. On a positive note, I now have found my holy grail mascara to be Loreal's Voluminous mascara :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

NYC Sunny bronzer. I know a lot of people who love it but for me, I do not like it at all!

Probably Benefit Porefessional (even though I love Benefit) - I didn't really notice much of a difference, to be honest...though somehow I keep ending up with more sample sizes! Benefit keeps sending them to me when I make a purchase, even through Sephora. I guess they really want me to like it, haha.

Revlon lip butters, I just don't find that they apply very evenly on me, and the product won't always swivel back down. Annoying!

Agree with people who had issue with the Revlon Colorstay Whipped foundation. It made my skin look like stucco no matter how I applied it -- what was everyone raving about? I used sponges, brushes, my fingers, etc. Nothing could give me an even coverage and a good texture.

Originally Posted by monicainmylife /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm really disappointed with the mac soft and gentle highlighter. It's such a chunky glitter.
I loved Soft and Gentle, but I used to have a big issue with application. I used a kabuki brush and I didn't realize how much it made my skin look like a grease slick until I saw photos. Then I used a big fluffy powder brush that just lightly dusted my whole face with glitter, which looked a bit silly.

...Not sure why I liked it, then. Nevermind.

I really haven't experienced that yet. I would have the cheaper things I've bought, of course they don't always

work because they are cheaper. The only thing I'd have to say is Urban Decay's concealor stick was nice, but it definatly wasn't

a lot of product for the amount it cost! I love Urban Decay a lot too, I basically wear everything of theirs everyday

Revlon Lip Butters... I hated these. When I heard "lip butter", I expected a tinted lip balm. I tried Berry Smoothie, and I looked ridiculous. It was like a lipstick! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Urban Decay Primer Potion. This doesn't work very well for me. My eyeshadows fade or they just wear off.

Maybelline Dream Fresh BB cream. This was oil in a bottle. It gave OK coverage, but I looked like someone with oily skin sitting outside in the 110 degree weather.

Back