Mac brushes - The essentials?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm getting more and more into make-up (for myself). And really want to use the best brushes to apply everything. I now use some cheap Powder/blush and eyeshadow brushes.

I really want to start collecting the right Mac brushes for my needs. But I need your help.

What do I want/seek:

* Brush for applying foundation (I use Mac Matchmaker foundation)

* Brush for applying concealer (I use Mac Select Moisturecover, might use other one in future)

* Brush for applying bronzing powder

* Brush for blush

* Eyeshadow brushes? I use 3 colors.

I also want to try and get a black line on my eyelid but I suck at it, so maybe I should do this with eyeshadow and brush? 

Thanks for the help.

Oh also want to ask about primers. Which primers would you recommand? I'm 25 and have a pale normal skin (freckles). When I apply my foundation I have a little bit of flakes on my T-zone.

I prefer the new Revolution set endorsed by Keven James Bennett. The brush heads are made of synthetic fibers but are designed for both wet and try applications. The acrylic handle has a soft grip but does not warp during cleaning, like most wooden handles do. The bristles are fused together at the base for no shedding. Make sure you get the flat-head buffing brush- that's my go to for buffing foundation in for a flawless skin appearance! 

Foundation - 187 it's a stippling brush so you can get a flawless look with it, though I tend to go over with my Beauty Blender sponge afterwards. Blusher - 116 for powder, or short handled 187 for cream blush Eyes - 213 for all over the lid For other areas I use different brand brushes, Bare Minerals brushes are worth a look and they have one for all techniques! As for primers there are loads of different ones. Does your makeup stay put during the day or does it slip off? For the dry patches make sure you use a good moisturiser - I found that using Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream on dry patches (small amount on face) works well if you have time. It can take a while to sink in if you want to put foundation on top! Otherwise Clarins Hydraquench serum is amazing as using on dry areas and sinks in quickly too.

Originally Posted by VicC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Foundation - 187 it's a stippling brush so you can get a flawless look with it, though I tend to go over with my Beauty Blender sponge afterwards.

Blusher - 116 for powder, or short handled 187 for cream blush

Eyes - 213 for all over the lid

For other areas I use different brand brushes, Bare Minerals brushes are worth a look and they have one for all techniques!

As for primers there are loads of different ones. Does your makeup stay put during the day or does it slip off? For the dry patches make sure you use a good moisturiser - I found that using Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream on dry patches (small amount on face) works well if you have time. It can take a while to sink in if you want to put foundation on top! Otherwise Clarins Hydraquench serum is amazing as using on dry areas and sinks in quickly too.

Thanks! 

I also found the 190 for foundation.

Yep I have a new moisturizer and it's better but I still get a bit of dry patches. Maybe I need to use a bit more. My products are from Jafra.

My make-up doesn't last a whole workday. I see that in the afternoon it starts to fade away. Might also be because I touch my face alot.

I just purchase a 239 for my lid and for the crease and blending I love the 217....I love this brush so much I bought another. I do use the 190 for my foundation but I do have to admit to liking the UD foundation brush better. I also use a Beauty Blender for my concealers as well. I have recently purchased some eye brushes from Sigma and have some faces brushes on order but I haven't had the chance to use them enough to decide if I truly like them. Hope this helps and good luck.

Honestly I would say skip MAC and go with Sigma, Sedona Lace or ELF Cosmetics especially if it's for personal everyday use. 

I'm kinda lovin' Mac :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Don't know if those other brands are even available here for purchase here in Belgium. 

I'm close to deciding my first brush purchase :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Foundation: 190

Concealer: 195

Eyes: Still not sure, I would get one for application and one for blending? 239 and?

Powder and blush brush I'll get next time. 

Thanks for the help.

Does it necessarily have to be MAC? I have found the exact same quality in the brushes from www.crownbrush.com for a fraction of the price and a much larger selection of brush types, texture, material and versatility. I've noticed they also don't break down nearly as quickly as other brushes do (including MAC). - B

I really like a lot of the EcoTools brushes, and a lot of the brushes sold on Aromaleigh's website.  I do have some MAC brushes, and honestly, there are cheaper brushes that do a better job.

Don't spend your money on mac brushes, if it had been 15 years ago I would say do it but today there are brushes with much better quality for less money.

Eco tools are great for not a lot and if you want high end Trish McEvoy blue.

Don't spend your money on mac brushes, if it had been 15 years ago I would say do it but today there are brushes with much better quality for less money. Eco tools are great for not a lot and if you want high end Trish McEvoy blue.
I totally agree with your MAC assessment.

This thread inspired me to replace a few of my rattier brushes.  So I just ordered a couple of the Coastal Scents synthetic brushes, and the Sonia Kashuk synthetic flat topped kabuki from Target.  First time I'm trying both, but I've heard good things.  I'll tell you, they were all so inexpensive, I didn't feel that guilty about spending the money!

Back