Mineral make-up application

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Prior to the application of mineral make-up foundation, is it better to put on liquid foundation? P.s. I am a user of liquid foundation, and have always applied pressed powder after putting on the liquid foundation

Well I don't think it is something wrong if some people combined them, foundation is generally used in summer as makeup base.

You can do whatever works better for you. You will get much heavier coverage that way. An alternative is to use mineral foundation alone on damp skin, which gives somewhat more opaque coverage & keeps foundation from looking caked on. Using a powder foundation over a liquid foundation can often result in a caked on look, although misting thoroughly after application can really help. Mist once lightly, let it dry, then mist again, let dry. Just don't soak your face all at once or it can ruin your foundation's finish. A couple of light mistings is better than one heavy misting. You can use plain water, water mixed with a little glycerine or a finishing spray like Skindinavia that's made specifically for this use. I've tried all of these types of mists & haven't really noticed a big difference between a bottle of water and a $30 product, although I do mix together my own ingredients for this purpose that I've been happier with the results overall.

When using a mineral foundation over a liquid foundation, you're setting the liquid with the mineral powder, and creating a very heavy coverage. I always say that unless you really need the coverage, less is more. If your skin is relatively even and clear, then I would recommend using the mineral foundation on its own. If you need more coverage, continue with the liquid foundation. If, for some reason, you still need more coverage then feel free to mix the two - it all depends on what kind of look you're trying to achieve.

-Jay'd

There are also mineral makeups that give a heavier coverage, if that's what you're after.  Meow Cosmetics has three levels of coverage - their full coverage formula is called Flawless Feline, which is a much heavier coverage than other brands I've seen.

Hi, no please don't put on a liquid foundation before a mineral foundation it isn't meant to be used like that. I've used mineral foundation for years and definately will never go back to slimy liquids. If you need a heavy coverage, mineral foundation is easy to build up using a kabuki brush.

Originally Posted by aholic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi, no please don't put on a liquid foundation before a mineral foundation it isn't meant to be used like that. I've used mineral foundation for years and definately will never go back to slimy liquids. If you need a heavy coverage, mineral foundation is easy to build up using a kabuki brush.
This is true, and also if you do want an easier time doing a heavier mineral foundation coverage, try a flat topped Kabuki brush - they really give great coverage.

I love using my MUFE hd foundation and then using a little of bareminerals matte foundation over it to give it that extra kick. It makes you look flawless and the powder foundation being powder, sets the liquid foundation.

Monave's mineral foundations also come in heavier & lighter coverage formulas. The heavier coverage product is referred to as 'foundation-concealer' because it also doubles as a concealer. This is the formula I use & I can attest to the fact that it covers very well, but it can also be applied more lightly. No other brand I've tried compares to this one in regards to quality or finish on the skin.

I often use the liquid underneath and apply the mineral over the top, I find this way it holds on the liquid coverage better than the other way round :) 

The best way to get coverage with loose mineral powder is to moisturize HEAVILY right before. Mineral makeup works naturally with your skin oils and it will do the same with a good moisturizer. Those who complain that loose mineral powder is too drying are probably not doing this step well enough beforehand. Moisturize over damp skin, let it absorb, then do it again if you are having a problem with dryness.

Skip the liquid foundation, minerals are the way to dump that stuff forever.

Mineral makeup is very safe for the skin. It protect skin for damaging. I appriciate and encourage those who used mineral makeup.

Mineral makeup is safe for the skin, it does not damage skin and help to make it ever green.

Back