Makeout 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So this is inspired by YouTuber PinkSoFoxy...

Mellee was kind enough to share this on the Jan 2013 no-buy thread:

Quote: Originally Posted by mellee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

PinkSoFoxy on Youtube has started "Make Out 2013".  She's committing to buying only 10 makeup items this year including replacements, and some other youtubers are joining in.  Don't know if I could do that...  But I'm watching the declutter videos she's done over the past few months, and it kinda makes me wanna try!
And I got inspired!  So this thread will be for everyone to declare and update how they're doing on their Makeout 2013.

I'll get the ball rolling with the rules I will follow for myself, for the year. I looked (and cleaned out) my stash, and this is what I think I can do:

• Five new, beauty (make-up, skincare, haircare, soap, tools/appliances, toothpaste, accessories, everything) items until Black Friday, November 2013 (now, those sales are too good to miss).

The exceptions to the Five new beauty items are:

• My two remaining beauty box subscriptions: BirchBox and Sample Society....I already let MyGlam/Ipsy expire this past December
  • Whatever I obtain through MUT trades, the L'Oreal, Influenster, Bzz, or other such testing panels....ie, no money spent.
  • Additional items to the Original Five via FIFO (first-in-first-out) only. For every six full-sized items or every 15 sample-size items I use up, I can add one more new beauty item to my original Five allowances.

And that's it....oh, except, I still have those Zoya polishes on order....good thing I'm starting this Makeout 2013 now, and not a couple weeks ago!

LOL, and of course, my birthday month is coming up, so one of my five will be used up at Sephora in Feb!

Wish me luck, and I'll keep you all posted!   
asskicking.gif
  PS - why have I not seen this emoticon before?!

As of today, January 15, 2013 till January 15, 2014, I am participating in Makeout 2013.  I seriously know that I will be ok without buying anymore makeup for this year, and I am excited about undergoing this journey. 

I have taken a quick inventory of my collection and have set up my rules for this year:

I will allow myself a total of 10 makeup purchases during this period. These items are items that are staples in my daily routine and I can't live without them.  Items included in this category are: all color cosmetics, foundations, concealers,face primers, eye primers, body lotions, body sprays, body washes. 

However, for the first 4 months I am not going to allow myself to purchase the following items:

Eyeshadows, lipsticks, lipglosses, and blushes.  If there is something that appeals to me, look for a dupe in my collection!!!

If I run out of a product that I have nothing else of in that category, I can purchase that item without it counting toward my item count. 

I know that this will help me not only start enjoying the products that I have invested in, but also take a look at myself and find out what I enjoy about myself as well as makeup.  I look foward to taking this journey.

I am in for makeout 2013! This year I need to declutter my house because I am making a huge move to another state and need to declutter now! Starting today Jan 15, 2013 I will only follow this plan for myself. I will be keeping the following box subs starlooks ipsy squarehue. I do have referrals on Julep and popsugar once they are completw I will no longer sub. Unless popsugar stepup I may try 3 more months but doubt it. I will now have set products that must be used this month example one perfume to use :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> not all hundred that I have every other day. My plan is to use my producrs and get rid of bottles to make moving easier next year. I will follow the 10 items for the year until nov and then nov and december I will allow for 5 makeup kits for the holidays that are to good to pass up. I will continue to do influenster bzzagent smiley360 ! Other then that im on a use up get out declutter mission:)

Originally Posted by DiorAdora /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Other then that im on a use up get out declutter mission:)
Yeah, the clutter's been a bit outta control on my end, and cleaning up/organizing the 'backups,' samples, and bulk purchase stuff is just insane. What's full and needs to be used up? 

1. One bathroom sink cabinet...full of shampoos, soaps, facial cleansers
  2. Three medicine cabinet panels, of 'daily' makeup
  3. One refrigerator drawer of lotions, facial creams, backup foundations...stuff w/oils.

And then there are all the samples. Two large shoe box full. LOL, and I just got my Birchbox today! 

I'm in. I don't know how formal I'm going to make I've canceled all my subs and will not be ordering anything else. I realize I only ever use Urban decay eye shadows so why do I bother having any other kind? I'm so mad and disgusted with myself, I might have to book mark this thread/no buy threads and not go anywhere else on MuT. 

Alright - I'll play.  But I reserve the right to allow myself a cheat on Black Friday or Cyber Monday if I've made it all the way through.  I'll write the definition of that "cheat" when we I get there!

I'm gonna stay pretty close to how PinkSoFoxy is doing it.  I've already decided that as I run out of skincare items, I'm going to focus on DIY natural.  I've bought some oils and such, but natural ingredients will be excluded from my 10 items, UNLESS I find I'm abusing it and just transferring my hoarding issues to this new area.  If I find I start that, I'll go to 10 new items or refills only or something on these, too.

My limit of 10 items will be on all color cosmetics: mineral foundation, powder, all primers, lipstick, lip gloss, lip balm, blush, highlighters, bronzer, eye shadow, mascara, nail polish, lip liner, eye liner (other than listed below), perfume, body lotion, body wash. 

HG Items I can replace without counting if I run out: Cure exfoliator, Stila Smudge Stick or Revlon Colorstay eye liner in black or brown, Skin79 BB Cream, Painterly Paint Pot or the MAD Minerals equivalent, Revlon Just Bitten stain in Lust.

I'll type it up, make my 10 blanks to fill in, and sign. 

*Sigh*  It's come to this, eh?  ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  It actually seems like a bit of a fun challenge!

Oh!  The only sub box I still have is Birchbox.  If I save enough points that a purchase is free, it doesn't count.  If I pay for any of it, it's one of my 10.  (Also, I didn't mention foundation because I don't use a liquid one - just Skin79 bb cream and the mineral powder.  But you can consider it on the count list, if I suddenly feel I need a foundation.)

Aww I like a challenge and really I have so much stuff I never even enjoyed it! I really hope this year I can learn to love the products that I have first. Unless something is limited edition I don't need to jump when it comes out! I have so much to go thru being one person will take me a long time. I like the idea of having the sheet with 10 spots and fill it in with the purchase. The Black Friday spots and kits are a no duh situation those prices are to good to say no but of course having a limitation is good! I just buy to buy but I can't wait to see my money saved in the next few months. Each month I will also put 20$ away for my nov dec joy kits:) that way ill already have the funds ready! Mellee I see your in Pa so am I maybe we can goto shopping addicts 101 haha I'm near Philly area are yo to far?

You guys are so brave!

DiorAdora, yeah I loved how PinkSoFoxy had her sheet all ready to go with the 10 slots and was ready to put it up where she'd see it everyday, and even signed it on camera!  I got the feeling she did all that to really make it sink in and to help her stick to her resolution.

Each month I will also put 20$ away for my nov dec joy kits:) that way ill already have the funds ready!
I like that idea! I just might start to keep track of how much I 'save' by not randomly buying everything...then bank that amount as Black Friday/Cyber Monday splurge money.

Realistically, I have more than enough everything (even HGs) to get me comfortably through until then.

Aww I like a challenge and really I have so much stuff I never even enjoyed it! I really hope this year I can learn to love the products that I have first. Unless something is limited edition I don't need to jump when it comes out! I have so much to go thru being one person will take me a long time. I like the idea of having the sheet with 10 spots and fill it in with the purchase. The Black Friday spots and kits are a no duh situation those prices are to good to say no but of course having a limitation is good! I just buy to buy but I can't wait to see my money saved in the next few months. Each month I will also put 20$ away for my nov dec joy kits:) that way ill already have the funds ready!

Mellee I see your in Pa so am I maybe we can goto shopping addicts 101 haha I'm near Philly area are yo to far?
=)  Pittsburgh.  Maybe there's a 101 meeting in the middle, like around Harrisburg, where we could meet? 
eclipsee.gif

Wow so today I have taken the first step to de clutter my life and use and toss my products. I am really just so surprised. Each week I will be making my videos on youtube as well but I didn't even know I had all of this stuff. Today I went thru and threw away so many expired products just sitting on the back of my shelves. You will be surprised how much stuff you tuck away! I didn't even know I had 7 bottles of hair gel 8 bottles of unopened foundation oh beepers its ugly:)

Wow so today I have taken the first step to de clutter my life and use and toss my products. I am really just so surprised. Each week I will be making my videos on youtube as well but I didn't even know I had all of this stuff. Today I went thru and threw away so many expired products just sitting on the back of my shelves. You will be surprised how much stuff you tuck away! I didn't even know I had 7 bottles of hair gel 8 bottles of unopened foundation oh beepers its ugly:)
I'd love to check out ur YT videos on the progress! I did the same thing with some of the foundations I have...and a Neutrogena bottle I opened felt grainy? 

LOL - and hair gel's not the problem for me ... 8 bottles of nailpolish remover! LOL! I better get cracking on the nail polish then too! 

Haha so funny I am down to two bottles of remover I just combined them together since they were same brand! It is just crazy how you don't notice you have it all:(

I am definitely partaking in this challenge. I haven't bought anything this month except for two birchboxes and one myglam. I'll keep my subs, but don't plan on accumulating anymore items unless they are free. I saw the pinksofoxy video when she first put it up and was inspired even more since I was already trying to do a no-buy. I just need to get around to printing the paper to sign and hang in my bathroom.

Hooray! successfully resisted the Sephora Fan Friday! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> And I emptied one (I know, but it's a start) sample. Believe me, my skin will be kept so moisturized this year. 

Ok - just bought the first of my 10 products for the year.  I currently have a brown smudge stick that came with my In The Light palette and a black Colorstay that are my everyday liners, and I'd said I'd allow myself to get either Stila Smudge Sticks or Revlon Colorstay liners in black and brown when I ran out of these without counting against my 10.  A few minutes ago I peeked at Birchbox and saw they have a set of 5 full-size Smudge Sticks for $32, when a single is usually $20.  The set includes black, brown, deep purple, olive, and champagne, and they all have shimmer.  I only had $10 in BB points, but since this was a special holiday set I was afraid they'd run out if I waited a few months to order.  I didn't need anything else to put me over the $50 to give free shipping, so I paid $5 and used my $10 off and the set came to $27.  I've been thinking I could justify it as a freebie from my 10, but I'm going to count the set as one.

And then there were nine...

Anyone else start chipping away at their allowance already?

And then there were nine... Anyone else start chipping away at their allowance already?
Yup! I went to the skincare promotion that sephora ran, and got a set of face masks....which should last me well into june...lol...I should really avoid that place....but if these masks are good, it's worth one of my allowances for the year. Since I'm starting with 5 allowances..... for me it's. ....and there were four... :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I really like this idea. My stash is fairly organized, but I definitely get overwhelmed when I really see how much I have. It's kind of a secret shame, because while my collection might be appreciated by fellow makeup addicts, I definitely get funny looks from others when I confess how much I have. Beauty related stuff has always been a vice of mine ever since I was young, but I've been realizing lately that it's all just too much. As much as I love it, I don't want to be a beauty hoarder and I don't want to collect anything either. The fleeting thrills of having something new are leading to a bad state of mind and an unhealthy way to cope with other personal issues. My goal is to have a reasonably sized stash of tried and trues. If I can pare down to that, then I'll actually have room to get something that's really special once in a blue moon. The biggest blow is usually realizing that I've only used something a handful of times and then knowing how much it cost. Ouch. Even the drugstore stuff adds up after a while. But the way I'm looking at it is that the money is already gone, and it's really hard to recoup costs in makeup the instant something gets used. So I have to use the loss as fuel to motivate myself towards the bigger picture. And for me, that's to save money and have less clutter. Another thing I've learned is that I'm never fully content with my organizational system with my cosmetics, and I'm always looking for better solutions, when the real solution is to have less! Short of getting a house, which isn't going to happen anytime soon, I just don't want to sacrifice anymore space for my makeup. I've come to a point where I'd rather see empty floor space than a potential spot for yet another storage vessel.

It'll be a fun personal challenge to see if I can actually stick to 10 products. The only thing exempt from the 10 for me would be shampoo and conditioner, which are the only 2 things that I go through quickly and for some reason don't have a stash of.  I also go through body wash pretty fast, but I have some already that I need to go through before I buy more. The ones I have are all lined up, waiting to be drafted, heh.

I think I've stayed away from this support forum because I was kind of in denial about how excessive (for me) my makeup collection has gotten, but I'm here now! Boy, this post became lengthier than I thought it would be! I look forward to reading about everyone else's stories and progress with this. Thank you, tgooberbutt, for bringing this here! I don't watch as many beauty videos on youtube anymore, so I don't think I ever would've stumbled upon it.

Latest posts

Back