IMATS NYC April 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just finished watching a few haul videos from people on YouTube from IMATS LA that just happened this past weekend. It has thoroughly excited me because I am going to attend IMATS for the first time in NYC this April. Has anyone out there attended before? How should I prepare and what is a realistic budget to have to get a decent amount of products? I need the info! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by ultajunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just finished watching a few haul videos from people on YouTube from IMATS LA that just happened this past weekend. It has thoroughly excited me because I am going to attend IMATS for the first time in NYC this April. Has anyone out there attended before? How should I prepare and what is a realistic budget to have to get a decent amount of products? I need the info! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
how much are you paying for your hotel! I want to go but cannot find any place decently priced. =(

Originally Posted by Baberanza /img/forum/go_quote.gif

how much are you paying for your hotel! I want to go but cannot find any place decently priced. =(
I actually am not planning on staying at one. I live in Pennsylvania and I am close enough to just go for the day and head on home. However, I would suggest looking for a hotel in New Jersey near a train stop and just travel into the city. The hotel will be much less expensive than staying in the city proper and that will give you more money for spending! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I actually am not planning on staying at one. I live in Pennsylvania and I am close enough to just go for the day and head on home. However, I would suggest looking for a hotel in New Jersey near a train stop and just travel into the city. The hotel will be much less expensive than staying in the city proper and that will give you more money for spending! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I also live in PA but wanted to attend both days! From where I am, it takes about 2 hours to get into the city. 4 hrs is a lot of driving for having such a makeup-packed day lol 

I would say bring a few hundred ($300-$500); depends on how much of a junkie you are. Do your research as well on the vendors because not all the vendors come out to the NY show. Hopefully it will get better. Last year they added Nyx but yet to get others like Sugar Pill. Much bigger area than the first IMATS NY so bring comfortable shoes.

Originally Posted by FoxxiLadii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say bring a few hundred ($300-$500); depends on how much of a junkie you are. Do your research as well on the vendors because not all the vendors come out to the NY show. Hopefully it will get better. Last year they added Nyx but yet to get others like Sugar Pill. Much bigger area than the first IMATS NY so bring comfortable shoes.
Do you know if the vendor list on their website is complete as of now or should I look closer to show time? At this minute there are not that many vendors that have me tickled which would be a bit depressing to travel all that way and have no haul to show for it. LOL

Quote: Originally Posted by FoxxiLadii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know if the vendor list on their website is complete as of now or should I look closer to show time? At this minute there are not that many vendors that have me tickled which would be a bit depressing to travel all that way and have no haul to show for it. LOL

As D mentioned above I've started the Guide to NYC's IMATS which will be updated over the next few months. They're still accepting vendors so the list is incomplete at this time. As for Sugarpill at NYC IMATS, I can't speak for them but only hypothesize that it's cost restrictive for them to travel cross country but maybe one day they will.

In regards to money. Make a list of what you want to buy from the vendors and use their full price as a guide to how much to take. Yes the vast majority will have discounts between 20% up to 50% but if you do a budget based on full price you should be fine if you find something else you want. I overspent on some items and underspent on others but overall I spent $100 more than I intended and STILL didn't pick everything up that I wanted (I didn't pick up the Bodyography lip gloss set - $30 for 5 - that I wanted [ran out of time, literally], I didn't get several tools that I wanted and actually needed).

I am between episodes when this show is on, so I am considering flying in, but I don't know of any cheap hotels. I've looked at package deals via the airlines but they use your typical highend downtown hotels. I'd rather spend that extra money on product.

Any cheaper hotels / motels just outside the city? like Travelodge, or Super 8 or equivilant that someone can reccommend?

Just checking options now in terms of possible doing a car rental or just do the subway in as I am unfamiliar with New York (last time I was there was in '04 and did the cab thing, and no I didn't stay in a hotel... long story.) Any help in these types of details would be helpful or pointing me in the right direction would be awesome thanks.

I'm going to put together a list of hotels near the event but I can look into less expensive ones. A few of my own readers on my own FB have asked so I've said I'd do it for them.

Hotels are so expensive so I look forward to Zadi's research. I live about 2 hours out of the city, so I think I'll just drive up for one day. 

I'm going to put together a list of hotels near the event but I can look into less expensive ones. A few of my own readers on my own FB have asked so I've said I'd do it for them.
Thanks Zadi.

Hey ladies!! I've been keeping an eye out on the hotels in NYC and they are not moving in price. A friend and myself are driving up from VA saturday morning and are staying right in the city (its her first visit). When I checked all of the Hiltons in the area were sold out. I'm hoping maybe they have maybe made a contract with some hotel to give good rates to the attendees.

I'm using Hotels.com, Priceline.com and Orbitz.com to check for prices but the info is based from hotels near 711 12th Avenue New York NY 10019. Pier 94 - 711 12th Avenue New York NY 10019. The least expensive hotel I'm finding near Pier 94 is called Hudson and the nightly rates as of right now are $197 per night. The Holiday Inn which is closer to Pier 94 is $228 per night. Hotel Carter is a little over 1 1/2 miles but it's $106 a night. There is another one called New York Inn and that's $155 per night.

I will be going for the first time. I am so excited. I wish I had someone to split the room costs with. I can't wait to meet everyone.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm using Hotels.com, Priceline.com and Orbitz.com to check for prices but the info is based from hotels near 711 12th Avenue New York NY 10019. Pier 94 - 711 12th Avenue New York NY 10019. The least expensive hotel I'm finding near Pier 94 is called Hudson and the nightly rates as of right now are $197 per night. The Holiday Inn which is closer to Pier 94 is $228 per night. Hotel Carter is a little over 1 1/2 miles but it's $106 a night. There is another one called New York Inn and that's $155 per night.
Thanks Zadi.

Our Social Media Manager will be there to cover it for MUT, if you see her (yellow badge) say hi! I've asked MakeUp Artist Magazine if they knew when the partner hotel list will be up, still waiting to hear back from that.

I'll be going to IMATS Vancouver since it's closest to me. I just need my Enhanced License.

Back