BATH AND BODY WORKS PRODUCT PSA!!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think it’s important to get the word out about this product. I may be making a video as well.

The product I’m talking about is the Bath&Body works ‘Winter Candy Apple’ body spray.

tumblr_inline_mhcjwchqMt1qz4rgp.jpg

I actually purchased this a while back and have never really used it because I found that the scent gave me horrible headaches. I didn’t really worry too much about this since I can sometimes be a bit sensitive to scents, however when I was re-doing my storage the other day I decided to just give it to my mom since she liked the scent and I would rather have someone else use it then just throw it away and waste an almost-full product. She spritzed it on this morning after getting ready and after only an hour of using it she also had a splitting headache, and was vomiting. She hadn’t eaten anything yet for the day and as soon as she showered and changed shirts she felt better almost instantly. I honestly don’t know what could possibly be in this product to cause such an adverse reaction but I have tried a few of their other body sprays and can honestly say that this is the first time anything like this has happened. I did sent B&BW and email about this and am still waiting to hear back. I’m not posting this to hate on the company but I do think it’s important to tell other people about this issue because whatever caused this CAN’T be healthy.

Thanks for reading, and if any of you have had  the same reaction I’d love it if you could let me know because this is honestly ridiculous. 

I am extremely sensitive to scents and I own this particular scent. I purchased it this December 2012 for my daughter for Christmas. I have tried it and my whole family of 6 has been exposed to it without any problems. Here is what mine looks like:

The most obvious answer is that you could also both have a genetically similar allergy to one or more of the components of the spray. What you are describing is a strong scent sensitivity/allergy. Allergies and sensitivities can cause huge reactions and really fast. As someone who gets headaches from about 80-90% of the scents I come in contact with, I can verify this. I frequently have headaches and nausea from perfumes, colognes and scents...even if someone just walks past me with too much on.

There may be other factors involved that you haven't considered. You said you purchased it awhile back so it may be expired. How long ago did you buy it? I have had body sprays get stinky after only a year and had to toss them. Also if you stored it in hot or cold areas it may have altered it's original chemical properties. I would wait for Bath and Body Works to respond before launching a big PSA about them. This might be something that is out of their control.

I have never had a reaction to this scent either, but I also bought it recently. I agree that it sounds like you and your mom are allergic to something in it, not that there is anything inherently wrong with it.

Yep, sounds like a personal scent allergy.

I dislike Winter Candy Apple because I think it smells like hairspray, but my sister uses it all the time and no one in our family has ever had a problem. 

There are, however, some scents that trigger an instant headache for me, specifically certain florals. It isn't a product failure, just my body doesn't get along with certain scents. I'm assuming it's the same for yourself and your mom! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Well I am glad to know this isn't a common reaction. 

I have considered the possibilities that it could have expired, maybe I got a bad batch, we're simply allergic etc. Llike I said: I'm not trying to start a smear campaign against Bath and Body Works, and I must say that I was incredibly impressed with their customer service (they did email me back and offered a full refund and apology, they even took down the serial number of the product and made note of the issue) HOWEVER since I'm not 100% sure as to what caused this I still feel like it's something I should let people know about just in case others with sensitivities to this type of thing might want to be a bit weary of this particular product.

I'm not usually one to get concerned about stuff like this, normally when I dislike a product I simply get rid of it, however this is something that actually caused physical illness and I honestly wouldn't feel right about not letting others know about the potential reaction

I am glad they responded so quickly. If they took down the serial number then they know when it was made, where it was made, exact ingredients etc. so that is great for documentation.

What made me think it was an allergy was the fact that it was you and your mom responding the same. Allergies and sensitivities are very genetic. You can make a note of the specific ingredients of this product. After reading the ingredients I see it has Amyl Cinnamal, Hexyl Cinnamal, Eugenol, Citronellol and Geraniol, all of which are derivatives taken from plant essential oils like roses, cinnamon, chamomile, etc. They are all commonly used in a large variety of beauty products. So if you have plant allergies or sensitivities you might investigate that.

That's actually very helpful, thanks 
smile.gif
. I have the travel size so the ingredients aren't listed on the bottle and I wasn't really sure where I could go to find them since the product is out of season. I've never had this reaction to any other fragrance so I had no idea what might of caused this but I'll be sure to look into all of those.

Full ingredient list via picture. I was going to type it out but I am certain that would have included a lot of typos haha. Hope this helps.

My husband had adverse reactions to a lot of bath and body works scents when we first started dating. He couldnt go in the store without getting a massive headache. He can now, though. I wonder if they've changed anything in their overall formula in the past few years...

Latest posts

Back