Is there anybody out there- Am I the only one??

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Alright, I know this is a bridal thread, but I was wondering if anyone else is like me.  I really have no intention of getting married, possibly not ever, but I am in love, love, love with bridal fashion.  My pinterest is filled with wedding dresses.  But I don't like them because they're wedding dresses, I love them because they are gorgeous.  Trust me this isn't some deep seated "I really want to get married, but I'm not going to so I'll live vicariously through the dress" issue or something.  The thought of a wedding quite frankly makes me a little nauseous.  But I love wedding dresses!  I really wish there was some way I could wear a wedding dress for every day wear.  

Does anybody else watch say yes to the dress for the dress???

This will sound silly but I am married and I love bridal stuff. I didn't have a big wedding so I always daydream about a gorgeous wedding on the beach somewhere. So no, you aren't alone hehe

I doubt you're the only one....I've been married twice, although I was 100% against getting married before my second marriage and not really keen on the first time I made the mistake of doing it. I've never wanted a big wedding with all the usual rubbish that goes along with it - including the god-forsaken fru-fru dress. But there are a lot of absolutely stunning bridal fashions out there. I got lucky & was able to wear traditional Indonesian wedding attire, including a gorgeous kebaya made out of lace I designed myself & a stunning, heavily beaded, to-the-floor skirt with somewhat of a train & a traditional Javanese batik print on it. Honestly, I'd LOVE to wear that gorgeous skirt again, and I still do wear the kebaya for really special occasions. Why not just get a bridal dress you love & wear it on any given day? What's stopping you? I say go for it. To hell with what other people think. If it makes you happy and isn't hurting anyone, there's no reason you shouldn't. Although I'm pretty sure it'd go over like a lead balloon at work LOL

Originally Posted by satojoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif Honestly, I'd LOVE to wear that gorgeous skirt again, and I still do wear the kebaya for really special occasions.
That's the part that always kills me about wedding dresses- how can people buy these gorgeous dresses and never wear them again?  (Your dress sounds gorgeous by the way!)

Also I might consider the whole wedding thing a lot more if it were on a beach especially one in the Maldives (my current mental winter vacation spot).

And thank you guys for your support, I've been feeling kind of silly watching Say Yes to the Dress and drooling over these dresses.  It makes me laugh thought, because the families on the show are always insulting the dresses by saying "that's too much of an evening dress" and I keep thinking, and that's a bad thing how???

A wedding dress is probably a bit much for normal everyday work wear, but when I become a famous fashion photographer/ makeup artist/ fashion designer, I'm going to wear one everyday!!!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I do want to get married, but don't think that will happen anytime soon. Either way, I LOVE watching Say Yes to the Dress cuz I drool over all the dresses too :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Can't say I blame you. I tend to see myself looking at wedding dresses and just wowed at how some look. You have very detailed ones that looked like they stepped out of a fairytale, to dresses that can be worn as a modern day dress. I think it would be wrong to say that if you like white dresses in any way, that you can't have some sort of love or interest for bridal fashion.

Personally, though I don't see too many of them anymore, I enjoy window shopping online at the "princess-y" like wedding dresses. Floor length gowns, the puffy sleeves, and the detail on the bodice. Sadly, as of late, all I see are shoulderless or thin-strapped gowns that look plain and ride what they are made on. While still pretty, I do kind of miss seeing the ones that DO make you look more princess-y over you know..... white version of a highschool prom. s:...

Won't lie, there have been times I have wanted to buy one just for the hell of having one. Some are drop-dead gorgeous. Same with Quinceanera dresses, but the background on those dresses kind of fill an awkward vibe, since it's surrounding a tradition I am not part of.

The short version, you aren't the only one., :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quinceanera dresses are gorgeous as well.  And they come in bright colors, so not just white!

I'm only 19 but have been with my hunny for 4 years, so am starting to await that question :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I try not to look at too much wedding stuff; I want to save it for when I'm actually looking for it lol. But I love the dressed and the themes.... as far as wearing it only 1x goes, there's some people who after their wedding 'destroy' their dress/tux and make a pic shoot out of that too (like on a beach they'll just wade right in the water in their wedding attire) despite how sentimental it is, I would *love* to do that!

You're not the only one doll, I'm sure most women drool over the fashion! There's so many dresses to choose from. So many themes. So many arrangements. So many hairstyles!

I've been married for 5 years, and cared a lot less about bridal dresses then than i do now, haha. I had a lovely dress, but I want an excuse to wear one again! I think we're going to renew our vows for our 10 year. Not just as an excuse for a pretty dress, but it's certainly a plus!

I'm in the same boat as Baberanza, I've been with my boyfriend for 3 years and even he has been talking a lot lately about when we get married (hopefully after i finish school). My thing lately has been, sadly, looking at different rings since I know he wants to propose soon. But I've been plotting "the perfect dress" since I first started dating him hahahahah :x

Originally Posted by kawaiimeows /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm in the same boat as Baberanza, I've been with my boyfriend for 3 years and even he has been talking a lot lately about when we get married (hopefully after i finish school). My thing lately has been, sadly, looking at different rings since I know he wants to propose soon. But I've been plotting "the perfect dress" since I first started dating him hahahahah :x
bwahaha us women 
patches.gif

Originally Posted by Baberanza /img/forum/go_quote.gif

bwahaha us women 
patches.gif
It's a curse I tell ya! I swear I go through a cycle like every six months where I plan my wedding based on what I'm interested in at that moment. I can't even explain why hahaha.

I got engaged to my now fiance at the end of last october after dating for just over 4 years (though we've been friends for over 13 years). Before we were engaged, I had a folder of wedding dresses, wedding invites, bouquet ideas, themes etc. on my laptop.  Now, that we're engaged though, I just stopped being interested in looking at that stuff....is that weird? I think it's that I'm perfectly content with being engaged. So is my life - when I'm single, I'm looking at wedding dresses and potential venues, when I'm actually engaged and supposed to be planning, I'm totally and utterly uninterested.

I used to be suuuper into looking at dresses/stylemepretty/rocknrollbride/weddings on pinterest and all that jazz like a year and a half ago. Since my [long term, live-in] boyfriend has been dropping hints about proposals, making statements like already knowing what ring he will buy me/telling me stories about telling his friends about rings and us in general, all the hypothetical wedding pinning and wedding blog stalking has decreased DRAMATICALLY! I'm not sure if its just because I'm busier or if its because I don't want to ruin the magic of planning?

That being said, my favorite part was looking at the dresses simply as dresses and not as a representation of a fru-fru-frilly fairy tale! I think bridal fashion is interesting and I like to imagine what certain dresses would look like/how they would function if I didn't initially see them in white and in a wedding blog. Some are just gorgeous no matter what!

Originally Posted by tinkerbll695 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got engaged to my now fiance at the end of last october after dating for just over 4 years (though we've been friends for over 13 years). Before we were engaged, I had a folder of wedding dresses, wedding invites, bouquet ideas, themes etc. on my laptop.  Now, that we're engaged though, I just stopped being interested in looking at that stuff....is that weird? I think it's that I'm perfectly content with being engaged. So is my life - when I'm single, I'm looking at wedding dresses and potential venues, when I'm actually engaged and supposed to be planning, I'm totally and utterly uninterested.
I think that sounds perfect and that is exactly where I want to be in a couple of years, because for me this just shows how much you think your life is perfect so it won't need another "cherry on the cake". For me this is a sign of real and honest trust in your relationship and contentment with life. Otherwise I know that if I had the feeling to be forced to getting married, it would just mean that I'd use marriage as a means and tight rope to bound my partner closer to me - although by staying engaged, I'd know he'll stay voluntarily :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

And for the dresses - I've known someone who dyed her dress after her wedding, so that she could use it as some kind of gown. I think she coloured it red back then and it looked perfect afterwards
wub.gif

Believe it or not, I'm a guy and I'm totally into bridal fashion!  Wedding dresses and everything that goes along with them are really so gorgeous and detailed. I've heard so many women rave about how incredible it feels to wear wedding dresses thats its made me want to try one myself, just to see what the experience would be like.

You are not alone.  I've been married nearly 4 years and love looking at wedding dresses and gowns in general.  I'm not in to any of the wedding planning or decorations or cakes or anything, just exclusively dresses.  About a year ago my friend and I went in to David's Bridal just for a look and to get a catalog.  Then we took that catalog to Starbucks and started drooling over the dresses!  I was already married and she was single, but we were looking just for fun.

Before marriage every girl will think not to get marriage.After that he will not leave his husband I am sure.For that dress sake you will like marriage 
icon_biggrin.gif

Getting married is not for everyone, if you don't want to do it that's fine it doesn't make your relationship any less valuable. 

I understand loving the dresses because they are so beautiful! It is sad that you only get to wear it once. I got a beautiful dress, paid a lot of money for it and before the wedding I use to try it on and prance around the house with my sister feeling like a princess lol I wish I could wear it somewhere without people thinking I was a freak because it is beautiful lol.

I had always wanted a huge wedding and I went all out. We got married at a golf and country club, we had the white glove service the 5 course meal the huge cake ect ect. I have to admit after all of that work and stress (because while planning it I was in my last years of university) I think that being a guest at a wedding is a lot more fun than being the bride. People raved about my wedding, the venue, the huge cocktail area and bar, the fireplaces, the rustic chandeliers and I was so stressed out I could barley eat. I just wanted everything to go perfectly and I should have taken more time to relax and enjoy it. And you have to stop and take photos with the 300 guests and do whatever the photographer and the videographer commands...After a while I just wanted to leave, go on my honeymoon and relax. I felt like I had 300 people pulling me in different directions, people constantly referring to me about things and then my cathedral train came down because the bustle broke....try carrying that thing around...

Even though it was beautiful and my guests had a blast if I had to do it over I would have taken 50 of my closest friends and family and did a destination wedding. 

Latest posts

Back