Need Help Regarding Makeup/Cosmetology Education

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Alright, so I'm in need of serious help. As I've mentioned in a previous post a few months back, I am trying to start a career as a freelance makeup artist -in which I would work my way up from Bridal & Event makeup to Runway & Editorial someday-. Within the past few months, I've managed to acquire a full-time job as a receptionist at a local fitness center -hurray!- and have been researching online makeup academies to attend. So far, HEX makeup academy seems to be the one I'd like to go with since it's BBB accredited, not too horribly expensive, and has had great feedback.

Now, while that seems fine & dandy, I've recently run into a problem regarding getting licensed. According to the Wyoming Board of Cosmetology, in order to legally accept payment for making over a client, I need to be licensed in cosmetology or at the very least esthetics. According to the woman whom I spoke with on the phone, certification from any school -high end, low end,  on campus, on line, etc- won't, quote "get you squat diddly" in Wyoming. I know, great.

After speaking with the board representative, I called the local Cheeks Academy cosmetology school and was told that the only esthetics course they offer comes along with a full cosmetology course and is not completely focused on. To add to the extra good news, there's understandably no way for them to offer that online either. So right now I'm caught between a rock & a hard place. While the school is close & local, I do not get off work until 4:00 -and from what I understand, they don't do night courses, though I may be wrong- and have to rely on a ride to & from due to my current lack of transportation -and the finances to pay for one-.

The thing is, makeup artistry has been a dream & goal of mine for quite a long time now, but everything seems to be getting in the way of me achieving it currently. I'm really at a loss as far as what I should do. Does anyone have any ideas, online courses -accredited preferably-, or even just advice to offer? I understand that since I'm 19, I still have plenty of have plenty of time to get into makeup artistry, but regardless, I'd like to get a somewhat early start towards my career.

That's frustrating!  I have no experience but to me it sounds like you have no choice if you want to practice in Wyoming, but you could still take classes at HEX for additional skills.  You are planning on working in Wyoming?  Would the make-up artistry be a full time job or just side work?  You interested in other cosmetology fields too?  Seems like around here if you want your make-up done you get your hair stylist to do it.  Is that normal?

Most state laws do not apply to makeup artistry unless working in a salon. I'm not familiar with Wyoming laws and unfortunately like my state there isn't a MUA Union. I DO think that cosmetology is a good place to start for SOME people because it gives you a license to do more than just makeup but if makeup is your passion than cosmetology school may not be for you. It's hard to get into the industry when you live in a state that doesn't have makeup education or MUA unions.

Yeah, just to follow up on what Jennasaurus said, is there a demand for MUA's in Wyoming? Is there a film / tv industry there? How about commercials? Weddings? Corporate photoshoots? I would seriously consider these questions first before you invest any time and money in this venture in that State. If you were say in New York or California, these questions would be moot and you would be asking about availabilities at agencies instead. Good luck in your research BB.

Hi everyone, Alright, so I'm in need of serious help. As I've mentioned in a previous post a few months back, I am trying to start a career as a freelance makeup artist -in which I would work my way up from Bridal & Event makeup to Runway & Editorial someday-. Within the past few months, I've managed to acquire a full-time job as a receptionist at a local fitness center -hurray!- and have been researching online makeup academies to attend. So far, HEX makeup academy seems to be the one I'd like to go with since it's BBB accredited, not too horribly expensive, and has had great feedback. Now, while that seems fine & dandy, I've recently run into a problem regarding getting licensed. According to the Wyoming Board of Cosmetology, in order to legally accept payment for making over a client, I need to be licensed in cosmetology or at the very least esthetics. According to the woman whom I spoke with on the phone, certification from any school -high end, low end,  on campus, on line, etc- won't, quote "get you squat diddly" in Wyoming. I know, great. After speaking with the board representative, I called the local Cheeks Academy cosmetology school and was told that the only esthetics course they offer comes along with a full cosmetology course and is not completely focused on. To add to the extra good news, there's understandably no way for them to offer that online either. So right now I'm caught between a rock & a hard place. While the school is close & local, I do not get off work until 4:00 -and from what I understand, they don't do night courses, though I may be wrong- and have to rely on a ride to & from due to my current lack of transportation -and the finances to pay for one-. The thing is, makeup artistry has been a dream & goal of mine for quite a long time now, but everything seems to be getting in the way of me achieving it currently. I'm really at a loss as far as what I should do. Does anyone have any ideas, online courses -accredited preferably-, or even just advice to offer? I understand that since I'm 19, I still have plenty of have plenty of time to get into makeup artistry, but regardless, I'd like to get a somewhat early start towards my career.
Just to add... We all know how expensive make-up is, and make-up schools are quite expensive for a 6 month curriculum. I don't mean to dissuade you from your dream of becoming a MUA in my previous post, I was just pointing out hopefully those resources I mentioned are available to you so that you can start to recoup your investment right away. Even working retail at a make-up counter is a good start or even try and assist an established MUA. Good luck. 😉

If I were you I'd go for a cosmetology license instead of a license in esthetics, especially since you want to do makeup. Where I live at least, and at the school I'm going to (Vogue) esthetics is more expensive than cosmetology. It also doesn't cover much as far as makeup goes. It's more for skin care, aromatherapy, and stress relief (massage and reflexology). 

Originally Posted by Jennasaurus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's frustrating!  I have no experience but to me it sounds like you have no choice if you want to practice in Wyoming, but you could still take classes at HEX for additional skills.  You are planning on working in Wyoming?  Would the make-up artistry be a full time job or just side work?  You interested in other cosmetology fields too?  Seems like around here if you want your make-up done you get your hair stylist to do it.  Is that normal?

Well, I planned on starting in Wyoming with a simple side business for event makeup such as Bridal, prom and the like. What I'm hoping is to gain enough experience, hone, & learn new skills, build up a client base, and put together a portfolio so that I can begin to make makeup a full-time career and hopefully enter the competitive big leagues such as runway & editorial makeup. I'm really interested in doing makeup, alone seeing as how I really don't have too much interest in other fields of cosmetology -aside from hair, maybe-. Here, from what I understand, it's the same. The couple beauty & hair salons we have here offer makeup application but charge through the roof. I wouldn't mind working there at all if I can't make it into the freelance world just yet.

Originally Posted by vogueboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, just to follow up on what Jennasaurus said, is there a demand for MUA's in Wyoming? Is there a film / tv industry there? How about commercials? Weddings? Corporate photoshoots? I would seriously consider these questions first before you invest any time and money in this venture in that State.

If you were say in New York or California, these questions would be moot and you would be asking about availabilities at agencies instead.

Good luck in your research BB.
Originally Posted by vogueboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just to add... We all know how expensive make-up is, and make-up schools are quite expensive for a 6 month curriculum.

I don't mean to dissuade you from your dream of becoming a MUA in my previous post, I was just pointing out hopefully those resources I mentioned are available to you so that you can start to recoup your investment right away. Even working retail at a make-up counter is a good start or even try and assist an established MUA.

Good luck. 😉
From what I understand, aside from Bridal & even makeup, there's not an incredibly high demand for makeup artists or other beauty-related skills. I live in South-Eastern Wyoming who's main economy revolves around the railroad and our annual cowboy/rodeo fair. While there are salons & small shops that specialize in makeup, it's really not a necessity here, unfortunately. We're a pretty small rural area -as is most Wyoming- that doesn't do quite a lot as far as media and the like go.

I really do agree about not wasting my time and money on a school that really doesn't give me what I need, especially when the job isn't quite in high demand. With that said, I'd still like to give Hex a go in the near future since it'll only help me improve the skills I've learned and really help push me towards my goal. Afterwards, with the help of my current job, I'll hopefully be able to move somewhere where MUA's are in much higher demand -like you pointed out, New York, California, etc-, get licensed, and let my career take off. It's expensive, yes, but I honestly believe that if you're passionate enough about something and have the perseverance work through the obstacles and achieve it, it's worth the investment in the long run. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Most state laws do not apply to makeup artistry unless working in a salon. I'm not familiar with Wyoming laws and unfortunately like my state there isn't a MUA Union. I DO think that cosmetology is a good place to start for SOME people because it gives you a license to do more than just makeup but if makeup is your passion than cosmetology school may not be for you. It's hard to get into the industry when you live in a state that doesn't have makeup education or MUA unions.
I'm really interested in looking up MUA Unions and seeing if there would be a way to possibly bring something like that to Wyoming -in accordance with state laws, of course-. I surely can't be the only person in the state interested in having makeup as a profession, after all. As I said in a previous reply, I'm really not interested in full cosmetology and am really only focused on makeup -though I'll admit, hair would be a great thing to tack on to my resume & portfolio-. If all else fails, I can at least get the education I need from HEX and then find another place where the skills I learn are more in demand.

Originally Posted by MKHeatherM /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If I were you I'd go for a cosmetology license instead of a license in esthetics, especially since you want to do makeup. Where I live at least, and at the school I'm going to (Vogue) esthetics is more expensive than cosmetology. It also doesn't cover much as far as makeup goes. It's more for skin care, aromatherapy, and stress relief (massage and reflexology). 
Yeah I agree. In all honesty, the lady on the phone didn't seem to know as much as she claimed to when she brought up esthetics. While it's important to learn about skin care and to be able to assess what would work with your client, esthetics goes into more than I need, as you pointed out. I think I may just save my money and wait till I'm able to go somewhere else where they'd teach what I need. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Sounds like you have a pretty clear idea of what you want to do.  That's great.

So I was trying to look up make-up artists and some of them will travel to whatever state you need them in.  Any idea on how that works - are they licensed in every state or are they staying out of site from the Board of Cosmetology?  Obviously I don't want you breaking the law, but maybe there is a way around it. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

From what I understand, aside from Bridal & even makeup, there's not an incredibly high demand for makeup artists or other beauty-related skills. I live in South-Eastern Wyoming who's main economy revolves around the railroad and our annual cowboy/rodeo fair. While there are salons & small shops that specialize in makeup, it's really not a necessity here, unfortunately. We're a pretty small rural area -as is most Wyoming- that doesn't do quite a lot as far as media and the like go. I really do agree about not wasting my time and money on a school that really doesn't give me what I need, especially when the job isn't quite in high demand. With that said, I'd still like to give Hex a go in the near future since it'll only help me improve the skills I've learned and really help push me towards my goal. Afterwards, with the help of my current job, I'll hopefully be able to move somewhere where MUA's are in much higher demand -like you pointed out, New York, California, etc-, get licensed, and let my career take off. It's expensive, yes, but I honestly believe that if you're passionate enough about something and have the perseverance work through the obstacles and achieve it, it's worth the investment in the long run. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I know what you mean. I lived in Calgary for 10 yrs. and it's like Montana, Wyoming, Texas in terms of the social and cultural aspects of it. Which means the make-up industry is very limited where you are like you said. I got around that by moving to another city in another province (Vancouver, BC) that had a bigger and wider make-up industry. Back then, I was just like you in fulfilling your dreams, I approached it with an "it's an all or nothing" attitude. I sold everything and left "friends" behind that didn't share my dream... So I pretty much did it alone, it was tough. I never thought of it as a sacrifice, but as an opportunity to gain_____. I didn't know what, so I filled in the blank with a new word every week, then every month. Along your journey, you will definitely find like minded people who will share and support your dream. And in my experience, hair is a very good skill to have to compliment your make-up portfolio. Sounds like you've done your research and you know what you want to take and which school to attend. I'd say you're on a very strong start.

I just moved to Calgary and it is pretty dead here when it comes to the arts(Moved from Vegas) also looking to do a makeup course online and work part-time also in print(I model occasionally also). Nice to see I am not alone in my journey:)

Here's what I will tell you:

You don't need a makeup education to be a makeup artist. Find a brand that you really love and get a part-time job at a counter. Work your way up to full time at the counter. You will grow your client base ten-fold and the on-the-job training and practice will amount to more than you will ever get at a school. After your client base is built up enough, go ahead and focus on freelancing full-time. 

Good luck!

-Jay'd

Here's what I will tell you: You don't need a makeup education to be a makeup artist. Find a brand that you really love and get a part-time job at a counter. Work your way up to full time at the counter. You will grow your client base ten-fold and the on-the-job training and practice will amount to more than you will ever get at a school. After your client base is built up enough, go ahead and focus on freelancing full-time.  Good luck! -Jay'd
Yes and no... For retail, I agree, you don't necessarily need formal make-up training. For film (union / non union) they want to see your piece of paper. Because all of the departments are trades. For photoshoots and commercials some training is good, but not necessary. For weddings if you don't want Bridezillas, meh, it's a good idea to get some kind of training...

I just moved to Calgary and it is pretty dead here when it comes to the arts(Moved from Vegas) also looking to do a makeup course online and work part-time also in print(I model occasionally also). Nice to see I am not alone in my journey:)
I've sent you a PM...

Latest posts

Back