My First Film Gig - Advice?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few weeks ago The day before I flew out to Quebec, I was part of a team of makeup artists working on a short film called "Three Men and a Laptop."  I was lucky enough to do makeup for the leading lady, one of the male leads, and some extras.  It was too crazy and hectic for me to take pictures of myself at work or the cast members I did makeup on.  I did snap a few pics of the scenes of the lounge, the makeup station, and myself with some of the MUAs on set.

My view from the makeup station.

You can see those bright bright movie lights.

The dinky makeup table shared between 4 MUAs.

2 of the MUAs (and former classmates!) and me

Overall, it was definitely an eye opening experience.  Doing makeup for film is much more different than any other gigs I've done before.  There is a constant need for retouching makeup as it tends to melt under the harsh lights.  I rarely do makeup for guys and I definitely lacked the supplies for it.  It was also rather difficult to work in such a tight space with such dim lighting.  I understand that as a freelance artists I may be called to work in less than ideal settings, but for a film...that's pushing it a bit since the camera tends to pick up all imperfections.  All in all I have learned a lot and I aim to be much better prepared next time.

In addition to more makeup, I intend on bringing my own table and some of my own lighting next time.  Anybody have tips or tricks to share?

If you're looking for better lighting and table may I suggest Cases for Visual Arts. Their cases were used on various sets including American Horror Story Asylum, at the IMATS Student Competition and I want to say at the Hunger Games set. These are expensive but a good investment but if you can get one at IMATS you're saving about 50%. At the very least it can give you an idea on the type of lighting you need.

Most film productions, (union and independent film productions) provide stations, directors chairs, and lighting / power. I've worked on a couple of student film productions and they also provided H/MU stations. Which is rare, as I had requested that equipment before hand during my interview with them. (Most student productions don't know this, so they don't do it, so you have to request it.) Shorts are hit and miss sometimes, I've done about 10 shorts. And I think one didn't provide a H/MU station. Most of my Pro MUA colleagues have similar stories to this. I've done several reality tv shows and the productions always provide a H/MU station at every location. It's the film production's job and responsibility to provide you with all the necessary equipment in order for you to do your job. As is the responsibility of the H/MUA to bring all of their tools and supplies to the job. Remember, you're the Beauty Department, not Locations.

I actually just started a thread on makeup for men, and I'm about to post a tutorial for men's makeup for film. Men's makeup and makeup for film are completely different beasts from fashion, runway and editorial makeup. Check out the thread and my video, and stay tuned! 

Quick question for everyone on this thread... How much gear do you have and how do you transport it to set? Now add a portable table, chair, mirror, and lighting system on top of that... Oh, and hook ups to house-power, and equipment to make it safe, (to prevent a tripping hazard). Then there is insurance on top of that since its your equipment you are providing that is a potential injury situation... Also, that Home Depot light is great for a photo shoot. But is not electrically compliant to US And Canadian by-laws for film production sets. It's great and exciting that it's your first film experience. However, I've learned one thing when I first started out... No matter what people tell or suggest to you, (to make your job or task easier) you will always do it your way until you figure it out for yourself what will work best for you.

Latest posts

Back