U.S.P.S. to implement no letter delivery on Saturdays.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There's been news reports that the USPS is implementing some changes this year(August is when these changes will take effect, if I recall correctly) to help curb spending. The hot topic is that there will be no letter deliveries on Saturday, only packages. These changes being proposed is estimated to curb $2 billion annually. What have you heard and what're your thoughts regarding this?

My main concern are for those who received Social Security checks in the mail. Those ALWAYS arrive on the 1st except if it falls on a holiday or Sunday then it arrives the day before. How will this affect those getting SS checks on the first? Is Social Security going to mail it a day or two earlier now?

I don't see how it's going to save money. In my state we have two hubs open now - Seattle (I think it's Federal way actually) and Spokane. With the mail now set to only being delivered Monday through Friday I think it's going to cause MORE work for the postal workers who are left at those two hubs. It's going to add one between one to three extra days for First Class mail to be sent and delivered and I don't see how that's saving money. If the USPS really wants to save money then get rid of the executive bonuses and perks and FIRE upper management not the actual postal workers.

My mailman doesn't deliver on Saturdays anyway. I've emailed to complain half a dozen times and then I'll get mail for like 2 saturdays in a row and it stops again. I'm convinced he's somewhere napping in the mail truck :/

Wow, that's actually going to happen? They've been talking about this forever. I like it because my dad's a mail carrier and he's getting old. He doesn't like it because that's less money for him, haha.

I know this is bad, but I don't really check my mail unless I'm expecting something, so I don't think this would really affect me.

I honestly do not think this will really impact me. I pretty much expect the mail I receive.

I'm totally okay with it.  I love getting mail but none of it's really important.  Whatever it takes to keep the post office in business I'm good with.

It makes me really sad:( I'm sure they have their reasons for doing it, and it's great, but I love my mail + at least on Sundays I have a time period for the coupons. No mail + no coupons = sad shandimessmer. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My main concern are for those who received Social Security checks in the mail. Those ALWAYS arrive on the 1st except if it falls on a holiday or Sunday then it arrives the day before. How will this affect those getting SS checks on the first? Is Social Security going to mail it a day or two earlier now?

I don't see how it's going to save money. In my state we have two hubs open now - Seattle (I think it's Federal way actually) and Spokane. With the mail now set to only being delivered Monday through Friday I think it's going to cause MORE work for the postal workers who are left at those two hubs. It's going to add one between one to three extra days for First Class mail to be sent and delivered and I don't see how that's saving money. If the USPS really wants to save money then get rid of the executive bonuses and perks and FIRE upper management not the actual postal workers.

I remember hearing a few months ago that ALL Social Security recipients MUST use direct deposit beginning this year so that would eliminate the issue with arrival on the weekends.

I am also sad that this will be such a huge change/shift in our mail system and am also concerned about a delay in receiving non-package post in a prompt manner.

Originally Posted by jaclynsmusings /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I remember hearing a few months ago that ALL Social Security recipients MUST use direct deposit beginning this year so that would eliminate the issue with arrival on the weekends.

I am also sad that this will be such a huge change/shift in our mail system and am also concerned about a delay in receiving non-package post in a prompt manner.

I don't receive SS but I have received checks from the government for my work-study program.. and I just got a letter the other day that stated that ALL recipients of government checks must set up direct deposit by sometime in March of this year.

Originally Posted by amberlamps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by jaclynsmusings /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't receive SS but I have received checks from the government for my work-study program.. and I just got a letter the other day that stated that ALL recipients of government checks must set up direct deposit by sometime in March of this year.

So essentially the USPS lost a huge contract with the government then since between Social Security and any other government check won't be mailed out. To me that signifies that millions of pieces of mail no longer shipped and millions of dollars in shipping cost saved this way.

Click here for an interesting article explaining why the USPS' budget problems actually aren't of their own making. It's due to the government fooling around with accounting, and they've been doing it for a long time.

I am already dealing with no mail on Saturdays already. I don't know the reasoning behind this but on the military posts overseas they don't do any type of mail delivery at all on Saturday. Since our mail boxes (think PO boxes) are the smallest ones the post office offers we can't even get packages in them, we just get a notification say hey you have a package go pick it up. But since they consider those little notices mail we don't get them on Saturdays, even if we do have a notice the post office is closed on Saturdays so we can't pick up our packages anyways. The only time we had mail delivery on Saturday was during December so everyone could get their Christmas presents from the states in time. I personally like checking my mail on Saturday and getting my sub boxes on a weekend means I have more time to photograph the contents for my blog.

Here's something else to consider on why this is a bad idea. Holidays. If there is a Federal holiday on a Monday there is no mail on a Monday so people won't be getting their mail for an extra four days - Saturday, Sunday, Monday and finally get the mail on Tuesday.

AND what about mail carriers who don't want to deliver packages? In the Popsugar Feb 2013 thread one member wrote how HER mail carrier didn't want to carry two of her packages on the same day so delivered one the first day but refused to deliver the second package until the next day!

I spoke with the mailman at work about this the other day - he said that a vote by Congress will still have to take place before anything goes into effect. As it stands, "no Saturday mail delivery" has been written into a proposed budget / bill. He said the Postmaster General has been wanting these changes to take place for years, and (for some reason I didn't quite understand) it will be easier for Congress to do nothing and okay no Saturday mail delivery than to vote against it. I guess the vote and subsequent verdict won't be taking place until closer to August. I also asked what constituted a package vs a letter and he said that hasn't been specified yet.

It doesn't effect me too much. I don't get a lot of snail mail except boxes. I can see how it would bother others though.

Back