Thoughts on Girl Scout Cookies?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
'Tis that season again. 

And I'm not looking to stir up trouble or anything, but I'm curious to hear what everyone's thoughts are on Girl Scouts cookies. I remember really liking the Somoas and thin mints as a kid...but the last time I bought them last year, they tasted....well...bad. I looked at the ingredients, and was very disappointed at the processed ingredients. The chocolate tasted waxy. There was very little coconut. The cookie didn't taste buttery. I would have been disappointed by the smaller portion size of the box, but I didn't eat most of the box anyways since it tasted so far off from what I remembered. 

What have your experiences with the cookies been like? 

PS - I was never a girl scout....

I don't think they are anything special.  I usually end up buying them because I'm a sucker for kids selling anything. 

And you get a lot less than you used to. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The only flavor I really dug were the thin mints. Back home in TX, HEB grocery stores used to have a delicious thin mint dupe that only costed $1 a package. They were amaaaazing. 

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And you get a lot less than you used to. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The only flavor I really dug were the thin mints. Back home in TX, HEB grocery stores used to have a delicious thin mint dupe that only costed $1 a package. They were amaaaazing. 
Oooo - actually, do you know of any good dupes these days for either the thin mints or the samoas? The Keebler version of the samoa also tastes too waxy for me :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I don't think you're going to offend anyone for having an opinion but then again... you just never know.

I don't like Girl Scout Cookies. Overpriced, not very tasty and you get so few cookies; I rather buy cookies at the grocery store or make cookies.

I buy the cookies, but do so to support these kids. There's a little business woman trapped in a 7 year old's body and I get conned every year lol. My brothers eat them, we mix them with ice cream and you can always buy them and have the scouts donate them. Our local girls take the donated ones to nursing homes, shelters, and vets homes.

I used to be a Girl Scout, and I still don't like the cookies. They are too expensive for what you get, and to be honest, I'm not a huge fan on most of the flavors. I did buy the Lip Smackers Girl Scout Cookies chapsticks, though:) Those are nice.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I buy the cookies, but do so to support these kids. There's a little business woman trapped in a 7 year old's body and I get conned every year lol. 
How does the selling work to benefit the kiddies? Do they set up their own sales/marketing plan? I hope they get something educational/life lesson-like out of the experience. 

Around here the girls aren't the ones selling - it's their mother's pressuring friends and family into buying. I have never once seen a Girl Scout selling cookies door-to-door or in front of a store or bank but I always would see the moms at a PTO meeting talking about selling Girl Scout cookies and taking orders.

3/5 of my nieces are girl scouts... So I bought a box from each of them. My parents bought 6 from each. I like them, but I like this time of year for the thin mint and Samoa ice cream by I think dreyers.

How does the selling work to benefit the kiddies? Do they set up their own sales/marketing plan? I hope they get something educational/life lesson-like out of the experience. 
I think a lot of the money raised obviously goes to headquarters or whatever,some comes back to the troop. The little girl I buy from sets personal sales goals. Lol.. they do trips and activities from the money raised. This year, a camping trip and some other things are planned, depending on how much is raised. Her troop also stopped by my old hospice job throughout the year and would make cards for the patients and bring extra goodies. So, I happily support that group of girls.

Originally Posted by amberlamps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3/5 of my nieces are girl scouts... So I bought a box from each of them. My parents bought 6 from each. I like them, but I like this time of year for the thin mint and Samoa ice cream by I think dreyers.
I think I'm more of a fan of the ice cream, than of the actual cookies. This time of year comes around and there's always some thin mints(for my mom), some samoas(for my dad) and some thin mint ice cream around here.

Originally Posted by tgooberbutt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oooo - actually, do you know of any good dupes these days for either the thin mints or the samoas? The Keebler version of the samoa also tastes too waxy for me :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I wish! Those cheapo generic ones tasted EXACTLY like them, too. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

i was a girl scout from daisy's through juniors (kindergarten-fifth grade) and i remember selling cookies for $2.50 a box door to door and in front of a local bank (with my dad) which is one of my favorite memories. unfortunately, girl scouts has become sooo commercialized and sells many other licensed products along with altering the cookie recipe, decreasing box size, and doubling price. though the price per box does vary by region and i of course live in a region that sells the cookies for something like $4.50-$5 per box. thin mints were always the favorite in my house and we would always keep them in the freezer! I did also like the samoas, tagalongs, and do-si-do's as well. i still have one of my brownie uniforms (just the brown jumper) which i probably worse in first grade or so judging by size. I wish i still had my sash with all my badges though it may be in my moms belongings as she was also a girls scout and still had her sash. i haven't had a thin mint in probably 8+ years!

i think the keebler grasshoper cookies are pretty close to thin mints and w hen on sale are significantly cheaper!

There are quite a few thin mint dupes. Most are yummy. I love Samoas though. I don't buy them because I will eat them all. They are way overpriced though.

Originally Posted by tgooberbutt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think they get a lot out of it - even if it's just learning to do something uncomfortable.  I used to sell candy outside of stores for my youth group and disliked it because I was a shy kid.  I think it helped me a lot just learning how to approach people and talk to them.  But I think the kids who want to sell more cookies (for prizes, prestige, whatever...) probably have to talk their moms or group into setting up more selling locations.  So they are goal setting and learning how to meet their goals.  When I buy anything from a kid I always ask them a lot of questions, make them feel like I'm not going to buy unless they really sell me on it.  I'm probably just some annoying mom to them but I feel like I'm helping out with their debate skills.  Lots of ways the kids are learning from selling, in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Jennasaurus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When I buy anything from a kid I always ask them a lot of questions, make them feel like I'm not going to buy unless they really sell me on it.  I'm probably just some annoying mom to them but I feel like I'm helping out with their debate skills.  Lots of ways the kids are learning from selling, in my opinion.
That's actually not a bad suggestion. I might have to try that when I get approached by kids with other fundraisers. I remember having to sell rolls of giftwrap paper for some elementary school fundraiser...miserable. I won't do it to the girl scouts because I don't want to have to buy icky tasting cookies :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back