Buying out of season/discontinued.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I always do this whether it comes to clothes or makeup. I feel that if I like a color, I'll wear it anyway. 

I work in a chain drugstore and we always clearance out of season makeup. People ask why cause they're hesitant to buy, thinking its old and expired. Do you guys think and feel the same way?

And here's a tip: black radiance and black opal rarely change their eyeliners so the stock could be old, even when properly rotated. Cover girl eyeshadow and blush containers are changing so try to purchase the ones in the new packaging cause god knows how long some stores have kept the old ones in stock. 

I'm so out of the know that I don't know which colors/styles are considered out of season.  So I don't think I'd have a problem at all buying it - especially if it's on sale!  I always figured that if makeup (or anything) is for sale it's good.  That's for the info!  I guess I should have know better because it seems like I find expired stuff at the grocery store all the time and makeup isn't watched as closely.

Originally Posted by Carmela DeJesus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I always do this whether it comes to clothes or makeup. I feel that if I like a color, I'll wear it anyway. 

I work in a chain drugstore and we always clearance out of season makeup. People ask why cause they're hesitant to buy, thinking its old and expired. Do you guys think and feel the same way?

And here's a tip: black radiance and black opal rarely change their eyeliners so the stock could be old, even when properly rotated. Cover girl eyeshadow and blush containers are changing so try to purchase the ones in the new packaging cause god knows how long some stores have kept the old ones in stock. 
I tend to only buy makeup that is on clearance (drugstore-wise), since I have such a large makeup collection. But, I don't mind if it is discontinued or whatever, since I am "collecting" it. As far as old products go, as long as it doesn't smell or isn't changing colors, I'll use it:)

Depends what it is, powder products like eyeshadow or blush last for years while cream products like foundation/concealer/blush have a shorter life. I wouldn't use an old mascara. Makeup is so gimmicky tho, always coming out with new packaging every season some things are perfectly fine, just on sale bc they're in old packaging.

Originally Posted by SnowLeopard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends what it is, powder products like eyeshadow or blush last for years while cream products like foundation/concealer/blush have a shorter life. I wouldn't use an old mascara. Makeup is so gimmicky tho, always coming out with new packaging every season some things are perfectly fine, just on sale bc they're in old packaging.
My thoughts exactly, any powder product or nail polish is OK. But I wouldn't get liquids or creams.

Oh I forgot about nail polish, I don't think I've ever had a bottle go bad. I buy a lot of clothes at end of season, you can usually get a few wears before its out of season and then have something nearly new for next year.

I'm only ever hesitant about buying old "new" products if its a liquid formula, and the ingredients very clearly fell out of suspension. Granted this can happen with new makeup too, but in certain cases like with foundations and such, it just won't work as well. Otherwise, if it's new and very clearly unopened and unused then I don't have a problem buying it. Because most of the time, products go bad through use (how often you open and use the item) as opposed to how long it's sat there on the shelf. 

Most makeup with SPF has a much shorter shelf life than ones without. I've been pulling the neutrogena powders every year. I tend to only buy eyeshadows and nail polish when they're on clearance. Sometimes powders when I know I personally rotated them in my store. I try to remember when a line has been newly released so that I could determine if I should buy it when it goes clearance.

I'm doing resets in stores now so alot of cosmetics & nail polish in Ulta, Kroger, Walmart, CVS, Publix  & Walgreens are being put on clearance & discontinued. I think RiteAid has had nail polish on clearance since late last year.  I know Target, Walmart & CVS have been adding new Spring product lines (CoverGirl Queen collection, the Selena NOPI polish line & Drew Barrymore "Flower" line).

There are alot of really great deals out there!

You can usually tell by the smell of the product if it is bad or not..  Even lipstick can go bad.. I had some old old lipstick and when I smelled it, it was so gross!!  Liquid foundation also smells bad when it is old and needs to be thrown away.. Mascara usually dries up so that is a no brainer sometimes. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back