Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
vogliadivintage

Birchbox March 2013

Recommended Posts

The teen vogue box was my first box & my fav to date- I actually just did my nails tonight with the Essie a cut above that I got from thàt box- awesome pink sparkles :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by Shauna999 View Post

 

The teen vogue box was my first box & my fav to date- I actually just did my nails tonight with the Essie a cut above that I got from thàt box- awesome pink sparkles :-)

I really want Essie nail polish in box sooner or later. I can't seem to be able to justify going out and buying it because it is so expensive and OPI is just as good and a little less expensive, but I really do want at least one bottle of Essie nail polish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be super bummed if Essie was in any of the sub boxes. I think they are poor quality and idk not worth my money to be in a box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by Scooby384 View Post

 

I believe Opi ($9) is more expensive retail than Essie ($8) but that's neither here nor there.

yep, though Ulta pretty consistently has them 3 for 2, so that brings them down a little. I only get OPI's when my mom is paying ;) 

I just wait for 2-3 China Glaze collections to come out, then I order $2.99 bottles from e-tailers. It has to be a super unique polish for me to want to spend anything over $5 retail. Espescially now that I got 9 Deborah Lippmann and 8 Butter Londons for like $5 a piece. My savings bar has been set pretty high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will sound super nerdy but one of my friends taught me how to coupon at Walgreens so I save up all my register rewards/points from my real purchases to use toward Essie polish! It makes me feel better. My mom is a school teacher but she is a licensed nail technician so for the past 20 years she does nails in the summer. ANYWAY she is super loyal to OPI. About 7? years ago Essie sent her like 20 bottles of polish for her to "consider" for her salon. She (and i was too) was just like WTF never heard of this brand/this is not OPI... No clue what happened to them now and I'm kicking myself for not snagging them from her office anyway!

I really want Essie nail polish in box sooner or later. I can't seem to be able to justify going out and buying it because it is so expensive and OPI is just as good and a little less expensive, but I really do want at least one bottle of Essie nail polish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by emily9763 View Post

 

LOOOOOVE St.Tropez too! It is so natural looking. I am always shocked when i hear people, especially pale pasty people, complain about getting tanning products in their birchbox and say it doesn't fit their profile.... DUH its because you are pasty pale! Who do you think they are going to send it to, tan or dark skinned women?!  I think that most people who dislike self tanning products have used a bad one and turned orange and then it became a turnoff. If they tried a good one like St.Tropez they may think differently. Thats just my opinion...and for those of you who still disagree i completely understand, because no matter what anyone says I will NEVER be happy to get any sort fragrance/perfume in my birchbox, even if you tell me I am stinky & need it :-)

I have to admit, I find this a bit offensive. Not everyone wants to be tanned, myself included. I am not "pasty pale" as you called it and I do not dislike tanning products because I have used a bad one. In fact, I've never once used any sort of tanning product and don't plan to. I know that you probably didn't mean any harm but your choice of words do come across wrong. You have to realize that BB subscribers DO have a right to complain about receiving tanning products in their subscription since tanning is something that people may or may not engage in. Since BB is predominately a makeup subscription, by including items like tanners, it will become a "throw away" or essentially useless item for MANY, MANY people. I know that same logic could apply to other things like mascara, perfume etc. but at least things like that are expected and therefore more "acceptable" to receive. It would be like BB throwing in a pair of swimming trunks, not everyone swims nor would they be in everyones size. BB should just stick to more universal items. 

 

With that being said, I definitely wouldn't be offended if I ever received a tanning product but, it's without a doubt something I don't want to get because it would be absolutely useless. Besides possibly receiving a self-tanner, I'm really looking forward to March! I would absolutely LOVE receiving eyeshadow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by msdollfaced View Post

 

I have to admit, I find this a bit offensive. Not everyone wants to be tanned, myself included. I am not "pasty pale" as you called it and I do not dislike tanning products because I have used a bad one. In fact, I've never once used any sort of tanning product and don't plan to. I know that you probably didn't mean any harm but your choice of words do come across wrong. You have to realize that BB subscribers DO have a right to complain about receiving tanning products in their subscription since tanning is something that people may or may not engage in. Since BB is predominately a makeup subscription, by including items like tanners, it will become a "throw away" or essentially useless item for MANY, MANY people. I know that same logic could apply to other things like mascara, perfume etc. but at least things like that are expected and therefore more "acceptable" to receive. It would be like BB throwing in a pair of swimming trunks, not everyone swims nor would they be in everyones size. BB should just stick to more universal items. 

 

With that being said, I definitely wouldn't be offended if I ever received a tanning product but, it's without a doubt something I don't want to get because it would be absolutely useless. Besides possibly receiving a self-tanner, I'm really looking forward to March! I would absolutely LOVE receiving eyeshadow. 

 

dito.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by msdollfaced View Post

 

I have to admit, I find this a bit offensive. Not everyone wants to be tanned, myself included. I am not "pasty pale" as you called it and I do not dislike tanning products because I have used a bad one. In fact, I've never once used any sort of tanning product and don't plan to. I know that you probably didn't mean any harm but your choice of words do come across wrong. You have to realize that BB subscribers DO have a right to complain about receiving tanning products in their subscription since tanning is something that people may or may not engage in. Since BB is predominately a makeup subscription, by including items like tanners, it will become a "throw away" or essentially useless item for MANY, MANY people. I know that same logic could apply to other things like mascara, perfume etc. but at least things like that are expected and therefore more "acceptable" to receive. It would be like BB throwing in a pair of swimming trunks, not everyone swims nor would they be in everyones size. BB should just stick to more universal items. 

 

With that being said, I definitely wouldn't be offended if I ever received a tanning product but, it's without a doubt something I don't want to get because it would be absolutely useless. Besides possibly receiving a self-tanner, I'm really looking forward to March! I would absolutely LOVE receiving eyeshadow. 

 

Personally, I only tan by accident, and when I do, I'm always bummed about it. Not everyone looks good with a tan. I just believe that most people look better in their natural skin tone. I also read an article recently, about how self tanners make skin more susceptible to sun damage. I wouldn't be happy to get self tanning products in my bb, but it wouldn't offend me unless I got multiple self tanners over the summer, to the point where I might feel like it was being pushed on me. I just think the attitude that pale skin is unattractive or unacceptable is offensive. But I'm not saying that anyone was saying that. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by Moonittude View Post

 

 

Personally, I only tan by accident, and when I do, I'm always bummed about it. Not everyone looks good with a tan. I just believe that most people look better in their natural skin tone. I also read an article recently, about how self tanners make skin more susceptible to sun damage. I wouldn't be happy to get self tanning products in my bb, but it wouldn't offend me unless I got multiple self tanners over the summer, to the point where I might feel like it was being pushed on me. I just think the attitude that pale skin is unattractive or unacceptable is offensive. But I'm not saying that anyone was saying that. lol

This is me! I've never wanted a tan and I'm one of the people who don't look good with one either. I'm naturally extremely yellow. On the few occasions that I've gotten a tan (by accident) it just looked extremely odd on me, I much prefer my natural skintone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a china-doll complexion, with dark hair, dark eyes, pale skin, and pink-without-blush cheekbones. A tan looks absurd on my face, and no sample of self-tanner is gonna cover both my arms and legs. I much prefer just not getting skin cancer to tanning, as I have a horrible family history of it (skin cancer, not tanning).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by msdollfaced View Post

 

I have to admit, I find this a bit offensive. Not everyone wants to be tanned, myself included. I am not "pasty pale" as you called it and I do not dislike tanning products because I have used a bad one. In fact, I've never once used any sort of tanning product and don't plan to. I know that you probably didn't mean any harm but your choice of words do come across wrong. You have to realize that BB subscribers DO have a right to complain about receiving tanning products in their subscription since tanning is something that people may or may not engage in. Since BB is predominately a makeup subscription, by including items like tanners, it will become a "throw away" or essentially useless item for MANY, MANY people. I know that same logic could apply to other things like mascara, perfume etc. but at least things like that are expected and therefore more "acceptable" to receive. It would be like BB throwing in a pair of swimming trunks, not everyone swims nor would they be in everyones size. BB should just stick to more universal items. 

 

With that being said, I definitely wouldn't be offended if I ever received a tanning product but, it's without a doubt something I don't want to get because it would be absolutely useless. Besides possibly receiving a self-tanner, I'm really looking forward to March! I would absolutely LOVE receiving eyeshadow. 

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and have their own definition of beauty. I am truly sorry if you find my wording of "pasty pale" offensive. I don't find the "oompa loompa" or "orangy" comments or whatever else those say about people who tan offensive. 

On another note....I dont consider bbox a makeup subscription, like you say. I consider it a beauty subscription. I mostly receive skincare, body, nail & hair products. I think I have received 3 makeup items in 8 months, a mascara, blush and a lipgloss. People complain about everything and your reasoning that they have "a right to complain" because tanning is something that people "may or not engage in" just doesn't make sense. And YES Anyone could say that about any product they receive because it is absolutely true. I throw away perfumes every month because I don't wear them and my work is a "scent free enrvironment" because perfume is so offensive to other people, not just to the person wearing it. To me perfume is just as bad as cigarette smoke, even if you are against it yourself you still have to deal with it from other people. That cannot be said for tanning products or many other beauty products.

I wish we knew if that bottle in the picture really is! This thread seems to be taken over by tanning talk! Please get other spoilers out bbox so we can change the topic! To each their own!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by emily9763 View Post

 

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and have their own definition of beauty. I am truly sorry if you find my wording of "pasty pale" offensive. I don't find the "oompa loompa" or "orangy" comments or whatever else those say about people who tan offensive. 

On another note....I dont consider bbox a makeup subscription, like you say. I consider it a beauty subscription. I mostly receive skincare, body, nail & hair products. I think I have received 3 makeup items in 8 months, a mascara, blush and a lipgloss. People complain about everything and your reasoning that they have "a right to complain" because tanning is something that people "may or not engage in" just doesn't make sense. And YES Anyone could say that about any product they receive because it is absolutely true. I throw away perfumes every month because I don't wear them and my work is a "scent free enrvironment" because perfume is so offensive to other people, not just to the person wearing it. To me perfume is just as bad as cigarette smoke, even if you are against it yourself you still have to deal with it from other people. That cannot be said for tanning products or many other beauty products.

I wish we knew if that bottle in the picture really is! This thread seems to be taken over by tanning talk! Please get other spoilers out bbox so we can change the topic! To each their own!

I'm not going to argue with you because it's going to go nowhere...fast. But yes, calling people PASTY pale is very offensive because it's used in a derogatory fashion, leaving it at pale would has sufficed and would have gotten your point across just the same. Yes, BB does sample a lot of different things which is why I said "predominately" makeup. Even still, whether it is considered a beauty or makeup subscription, tanning products are just one of those things that it's better to NOT mail out, along with sized items and allergen foods like peanuts because with things like that there will always be a very large number of people who can't/don't use it and so will be getting cheated out of an item. The best thing for Birchbox to do in situation like these would be to send some sort of coupon instead of the actual item, then people can choose to use it or not.

 

Also, yes some people do complain about everything but when someone is "complaining" about a genuine concern then yes, they have the right to. It is perfectly fine for someone to express their dislike when a company blatantly sends something out that was very obviously only going to work for a limited number of people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by msdollfaced View Post

 

I'm not going to argue with you because it's going to go nowhere...fast. But yes, calling people PASTY pale is very offensive because it's used in a derogatory fashion, leaving it at pale would has sufficed and would have gotten your point across just the same. Yes, BB does sample a lot of different things which is why I said "predominately" makeup. Even still, whether it is considered a beauty or makeup subscription, tanning products are just one of those things that it's better to NOT mail out, along with sized items and allergen foods like peanuts because with things like that there will always be a very large number of people who can't/don't use it and so will be getting cheated out of an item. The best thing for Birchbox to do in situation like these would be to send some sort of coupon instead of the actual item, then people can choose to use it or not.

I actually pulled that from a few posts on page 2 from the pale ladies who referred to themselves as pasty. I guess this is one of those double standards where its okay if you say it about yourself but not if someone else says it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by emily9763 View Post

 

I actually pulled that from a few posts on page 2 from the pale ladies who referred to themselves as pasty. I guess this is one of those double standards where its okay if you say it about yourself but not if someone else says it. 

It's not a double standard. What someone says about themselves doesn't make it okay for others to do as well. For instance, I'm plus sized and whereas I often call myself fat, it doesn't make it suddenly not offensive if an outside person does it. 

 

Now, let's please get back to talking about next months Birchbox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In addition to not wanting to tan, period, I have an added reason to not want to change the color of my skin, whether naturally or by fake tanner: tattoos. I've invested hundreds if not thousands of dollars in ink, and the paler I am, the better it looks. Leave my pastiness alone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by meaganola View Post

 

In addition to not wanting to tan, period, I have an added reason to not want to change the color of my skin, whether naturally or by fake tanner: tattoos. I've invested hundreds if not thousands of dollars in ink, and the paler I am, the better it looks. Leave my pastiness alone!

*wants to see your tattoos* ^^ I love tattoos, but I have none XD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by meaganola View Post

 

In addition to not wanting to tan, period, I have an added reason to not want to change the color of my skin, whether naturally or by fake tanner: tattoos. I've invested hundreds if not thousands of dollars in ink, and the paler I am, the better it looks. Leave my pastiness alone!

Hear! Hear! I'm working on my sleeves as we speak! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by emily9763 View Post

 

I actually pulled that from a few posts on page 2 from the pale ladies who referred to themselves as pasty. I guess this is one of those double standards where its okay if you say it about yourself but not if someone else says it. 

 

Not really, I mean, I'm about as pale as you can get, but I wouldn't really call myself "pasty" pale, it's kinda pointless to be insulting myself lol I'm not trying to contribute to the argument, I mean if you want to tan, go ahead and tan, if you want to stay pale, by all means stay pale. Do what makes ya happy! I think what the fair-skinned ones are trying to say is that, unless we specify in our profile that we're interested in tanning, then we really think it's kinda ridiculous and unnecessary that BB send us tanning products. It just feels a little insulting, especially if we're proud of being fair. People that tan alot might be a little annoyed if BB sent a pamphlet or something on how silly it is to use self-tanner and how we should be proud of our natural skin color, see what I mean? Like I said before, if they sent me one, I'd be irritated because I'd never use it, I never said I was interested in tanning, and just because I say I'm pale, doesn't mean I want to, but I would give it to someone who does, no biggie...I'd just be sad it's a worthless item to me when I could have gotten something I wanted...as a matter of fact, I think they should have an option that says either "interested in tanning" or "fair but tans often"...because if you put "fair" in your profile, well then I'd be led to believe that I obviously am NOT tanned lol! laughno.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say different strokes for different folks. Some like to tan, some don't. I like to in the summer and love my paler winter skin. Regardless, BB is a beauty and lifestyle sub... not everything is going to specifically cater to your wants..yes WANTS ladies. Also, sometimes context is miscontrued or offense taken where none is meant. Oompa loompa, pasty, whatever the jargon is. . Unless you're overly pc.. someone is read y to jump and take offense. Let's keep it moving and stay on topic. .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by CheshireCookie View Post

 

 

Not really, I mean, I'm about as pale as you can get, but I wouldn't really call myself "pasty" pale, it's kinda pointless to be insulting myself lol I'm not trying to contribute to the argument, I mean if you want to tan, go ahead and tan, if you want to stay pale, by all means stay pale. Do what makes ya happy! I think what the fair-skinned ones are trying to say is that, unless we specify in our profile that we're interested in tanning, then we really think it's kinda ridiculous and unnecessary that BB send us tanning products. It just feels a little insulting, especially if we're proud of being fair. People that tan alot might be a little annoyed if BB sent a pamphlet or something on how silly it is to use self-tanner and how we should be proud of our natural skin color, see what I mean? Like I said before, if they sent me one, I'd be irritated because I'd never use it, I never said I was interested in tanning, and just because I say I'm pale, doesn't mean I want to, but I would give it to someone who does, no biggie...I'd just be sad it's a worthless item to me when I could have gotten something I wanted...as a matter of fact, I think they should have an option that says either "interested in tanning" or "fair but tans often"...because if you put "fair" in your profile, well then I'd be led to believe that I obviously am NOT tanned lol! laughno.gif

Very well put! I agree that everyone should do what makes them happy in terms of their beauty routine. Birchbox really does need to do some tweaking to the profiles. I agree with the person who said they need to add a 'Hair length" section, because person with short pixie cuts are getting hair ties that obviously can't be used. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by MissLindaJean View Post

 

I say different strokes for different folks. Some like to tan, some don't. I like to in the summer and love my paler winter skin.

 

Regardless, BB is a beauty and lifestyle sub... not everything is going to specifically cater to your wants..yes WANTS ladies.

 

Also, sometimes context is miscontrued or offense taken where none is meant. Oompa loompa, pasty, whatever the jargon is. . Unless you're overly pc.. someone is read y to jump and take offense.

 

Let's keep it moving and stay on topic. .

Exactly! love that saying! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by CheshireCookie View Post

 

 

Not really, I mean, I'm about as pale as you can get, but I wouldn't really call myself "pasty" pale, it's kinda pointless to be insulting myself lol I'm not trying to contribute to the argument, I mean if you want to tan, go ahead and tan, if you want to stay pale, by all means stay pale. Do what makes ya happy! I think what the fair-skinned ones are trying to say is that, unless we specify in our profile that we're interested in tanning, then we really think it's kinda ridiculous and unnecessary that BB send us tanning products. It just feels a little insulting, especially if we're proud of being fair. People that tan alot might be a little annoyed if BB sent a pamphlet or something on how silly it is to use self-tanner and how we should be proud of our natural skin color, see what I mean? Like I said before, if they sent me one, I'd be irritated because I'd never use it, I never said I was interested in tanning, and just because I say I'm pale, doesn't mean I want to, but I would give it to someone who does, no biggie...I'd just be sad it's a worthless item to me when I could have gotten something I wanted...as a matter of fact, I think they should have an option that says either "interested in tanning" or "fair but tans often"...because if you put "fair" in your profile, well then I'd be led to believe that I obviously am NOT tanned lol! laughno.gif

Perfectly said! I love your username by the way 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • NARS Cosmetics Shop Cargo Cosmetics Today!


  • Posts

    • HAHA:) It is quite funny and even true sometimes;)))
    • I went to a function in August and I was used mascara. Since then the eyelashes of my eyes have become very thin. I did not benefit from the remedies. Right now my eyes look so bad because of eyelashes. Please suggest me a remedy for growing eyelashes.
    • I started using e.l.f. eyelid primer lock and didn't have any problems.  Just recently when I reordered the product, the container was a different color though the product color is the same.  I read the information from each one and one is made in China (new one) and my old one is made in USA.   I started using the China made one and my eyes are starting to become irritated. I'm not sure if it's the eye lock primer or a new body lotion I just started using (Nivea). I'm eliminating the Nivea to see if perhaps it's the China made eye lock e.l.f product.   Has anyone else had any similar issues with China vs USA made?
    • Yes, poker is quite interesting for me. But I don't play for money..
    • My Netflix subscription is cancelled. I was only allowed the free month. I wanted so badly to watch a new show called Ares that came out Friday. I did not think I would get to see it before my subscription expired, but I did. I was able to watch it on the last day! I was so happy, because I'm not allowed to renew Netflix per my no buy rules. And I can't live with exceptions to my rules. Ares I loved and hated at the same time. I loved the cast, acting, sets, costumes, hair and makeup, exteriors, and story line. Ares is a great story about a poor and stressed college girl joining an Illuminati type of cult, in Amsterdam. But I hated all the gory horror, and they killed off so many interesting characters. The gory horror is hard to watch, and could be triggering to some. I know the gruesome elements are symbolizing something important in the story, but it's disturbing. The first episodes were good at developing the story, but at the end it was exhausting with all the violence. I think it would have been great as just a psychological drama. Still I'm so glad I got to watch it without violating my rules. Back to watching no buy videos on YouTube now. 

About MakeupTalk®

© 2003-2018 MakeupTalk.com®, an active online community and message board geared towards members wanting to discuss everything to do with makeup, cosmetics, product reviews, monthly subscription boxes and general beauty related topics. Our community provides product reviews, makeup and general beauty tips. Our most popular topics are subscription boxes and their monthly spoilers. Join our community for free to take part in the conversations and share your own beauty tips and product reviews with others. We look forward to seeing you online here at Makeuptalk®!

MakeupTalk® Facebook

×