First Runway Job-Please Advise!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all!

I recently booked my first backstage gig for a runway show. On the one hand, I am over the moon and I'm really looking forward to this. However, I am a little anxious, as I don't quite know what to expect. For the ladies that have worked runway before, I ask the following question: in what ways should I prepare myself in terms of equipment, tools and keeping my sanity?

Thanks!

Just bring your kit. (don't bring any hair tools or product). Make sure your kit has a large range of bright shadows. I find bright mattes are great for runway work as the lighting will wash out any facial details, and the bright mattes will hold up very well in this medium. Loose matte pigments are great but will be very messy and spills will definitely happen and will cross contaminate your make-up table/area. Just be mindful of this when you do a pale foundation look on model #5... Shimmers and metallics will take longer to build up the intensity and the Make-up Designer won't tolerate a lot of time spent on this part. Bring lots of lashes... Full strips in medium to large (full) sizes. Your blushes should be in the intense range of whatever colour the face chart / Designer says it is. Foundations tend to be on the dewy side. Bring a few duplicate black liners, just in case. And bring lots of disposable mascara spoolies. Be prepared to work at the same time the hairstylist is working on the model. Also you have to take into account the models will be moving and talking quite a bit. That is NORMAL, you need to work with them on this. You can't be flustered on this especially when doing lips, because they will be moving... You gotta work with it. (On photoshoots, it is the opposite,) but this is a show with media, photogs, Dressers, hair people, make-up people, models, agents, editors, bookers, etc backstage talking and bumping into you and your model(s). To keep your sanity... Each artist will tap into themselves to find what will keep them focused and energized. A breathing exercise is a good start and having a bottle of water for yourself is also good to keep yourself hydrated and your throat wet. Other than that. It's a cake walk. Good luck and have fun!

Back