"Mac is definitely a phase some people go through...I think they're stuck in time"

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was e-mailing a beauty obsessive friend of mine last week about my visit to the MAC counter and was surprised to hear that she hadn't been for a while - I remember her raving about their products and admiring her Barbie e/s when I visited her flat. I asked her whether she'd gone off them, and she said:

"[SIZE=medium]MAC is definitely a phase people go through. I went through it and came out the other side. It's like a rite of passage. I think they're stuck in time because they never seem to really innovate in terms of the products they offer. It's always basically the same formula lipsticks, lipglasses and powder eyeshadows with every collection. Also the colour payoff and quality really do vary."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I don't own too many MAC products - I was more into Urban Decay and have enough shadow now to last me a very long time - but I do remember, when I was just earning enough and interested enough to make the leap from buying drugstore products in 2005 or so, there seemed to be two categories in my mind - the department store counters that seemed way too 'grown-up lady in pearls', and the MAC that everyone raved about. So I wondered how common a view this was. Is there another brand that has taken their place as the ubermensch, so to speak? I get the impression that Illamasqua are doing something similar to what they used to do, but in the UK at least they are very much a niche brand and I know nobody outside of blogs who uses their stuff.[/SIZE]

I own MAC products and when I first started getting all crazy with make up and addicted well the first thing I would think about when going to get make up was anything MAC. I know many make up artist who only or almost only use MAC and a lot of people swear by it. Now I do love MAC there is some things I always go back to them searching for but I think they are a bit over rated. And a lot of people do get stuck in the "phase of mac" I guess you could say. Before it was the best for me but now I own many brands with a lot more options than mac gave me for some products. So I kinda do agree with your friend. Kinda.

I agree sort of. When I made the jump from drugstore to higher end it was straight to MAC. I think MAC holds that special place for everyone because if you're a true makeup fan you own at least one of their items. No matter how far I go into the makeup world I will still get MAC lipsticks, those are my HG item.

Even before I was a makeup hoarder, I've always wanted to buy MAC products. They have this awesome charisma that almost everyone is raving about.

I used to live in the Philippines and MAC is really expensive (when you consider buying makeup there. Even drugstore products are expensive too.)

Finally, when I got here, I did not know that there are a lot of cheaper makeup but same quality of MAC. (Yeah, primitive girl on the loose. LOL)

As I had been observing, I do agree as well that all this time, it's the same formulation etc. They just change the name whenever they release LE items.

Well, up until now, I am convincing myself to buy one, but cannot find the perfect reason why.

I agree sort of. When I made the jump from drugstore to higher end it was straight to MAC. I think MAC holds that special place for everyone because if you're a true makeup fan you own at least one of their items. No matter how far I go into the makeup world I will still get MAC lipsticks, those are my HG item.
Completely disagree. I am definitely a makeup fan and own zero of their items. I have tried them and was not impressed. I don't understand the hype around the brand. It's so gimmicky with the constant collections. Even people who are fans of the brand cannot deny how inconsistent the quality is. Like I said I don't get the appeal, I think it's somewhat conspicuous consumerism, or buying something to impress other people. I think that's the reason people have huge collections, costing thousands of dollars, consisting of exclusively Mac products. Don't get me wrong I've spent thousands on makeup too, but many different brands and no Mac.

I find MAC make up disgusting and just overall low quality. I got over them after tenth grade. I think their foundations are horrible and cause breakouts. The fluid lines barely show up, the mascaras are clumpy, the lipsticks are drying and the lipglosses are sticky and messy. I am definitely a make up snob and pretty much only wear high end make up brands like Tom Ford, YSL, NARS, LORAC, Laura Mercier, Estée Lauder, Cle De Peau Beaute and Le Métier De Beaute. Generally speaking, I think the only reason people go crazy over MAC is Because their make up is cheap and a lot of people comsider it to be somewhat highend.

This sounds just like my older sister's experience. My grandma let hmy sis buy whatever they used to do like a mini makeover on her 16th birthday. After foundation, color, powder, etc it was a lot of money but she was obsessed...then she got horrible breakouts and the products went bad quickly.because of that I've never purchased a MAC product!

I find MAC make up disgusting and just overall low quality. I got over them after tenth grade. I think their foundations are horrible and cause breakouts. The fluid lines barely show up, the mascaras are clumpy, the lipsticks are drying and the lipglosses are sticky and messy. I am definitely a make up snob and pretty much only wear high end make up brands like Tom Ford, YSL, NARS, LORAC, Laura Mercier, Estée Lauder, Cle De Peau Beaute and Le Métier De Beaute. Generally speaking, I think the only reason people go crazy over MAC is Because their make up is cheap and a lot of people comsider it to be somewhat highend.

I get this.. when I was younger I went to Nordstrom with my mom and I really liked Mac because their makeup artists did my makeup for free and gave me a little makeover. As time went on I went through a phase where I never wore makeup (2 years) and then one day my boyfriend at the time (husband now) took me to the drug store and bought me a little bit of stuff because I had been feeling down about myself (I had an illness) ... I wore that stuff for a while and then one day I was reading a 30 days to bridal beauty book and it suggested going to MakeUpByTiffanyD's youtube channel to get some lessons on applying your own bridal makeup. From there I started watching makeup tutorials and I bought a little bit of makeup from there. At that time I was also living very close to an Ulta so I would walk there and get my hair cuts there. Ulta didn't sell Mac so I didn't really buy very much, at this point I bought nail polish, conditioners (while I use up quickly), and 2 faced pallets, UD stuff. 

Then I found out that my role-model wore/wears bobbi brown so I started using her products. I quickly got over this phase when I realized that her makeup just doesn't look good on my skin tone. My best friend got a job at Macy's working at the origins counter so she would buy me things with her discount, I got a beautiful chanel palette and a Mac lip set (stick, gloss, pencil, bag for Christmas). As time went on she ended up quitting and here I am ... At this point I would say I'm over Mac & Bobbi Brown. Mac has beautiful things for sure, things that I will probably always repurchase, studio finish concealer & well-dressed blush, but I don't only buy or love Mac products. 

I have heard from my makeup artist that she is even switching over/buying less Mac for her makeup collection/kit because she feels like the brides and girls she does makeup for can easily access Mac. She said she is trying to get more into studio makeup (I'm not really sure what this is) and that she also really likes Inglot. Although, she tells me that Inglot's customer service sucks. I've tried a few Inglot products and I wore some of their makeup for my wedding and I thought it was beautiful. I will definitely try a few more of their things, I've tried their black kohl eye liner, false eyes mascara, 2 lip sticks, a gel liner, 1 (3) color eyeshadow.. and an amazingly beautiful ice purple pigment. 

I guess the whole point here.. is that yes, I am over Mac... I'm at the point where I'm gonna use my own collection/kit and look to drugstore or anything that catches my eye from now on. 

MAC is not considered a "high-end" brand in the industry. In the early to mid 90's, MAC transitioned into a street make-up line, hence the quality is not up to standard to such brands as Ben Nye, Kryolan, Joe Blasco, NARS, Shu Uemura, Burberry, Chanel, Guerlain, and even Illamasqua. However, I still use MAC because it works and it offers a pro discount in Canada where the other brands do not. (MUFE and MAC are the only two brands that offer a pro discount in Canada) there are only one or two other brands that offer a pro discount in Canada, but only online. However, this thread is not about that. I still see MAC Whores (as we call them), but us pros don't take them seriously at all, as it limits the artist's repertoire. But each to his/her own I say. For me. I use their brushes, shadows and their matte loose pigments, paints and some liners. I never use any of their foundations or powders (any more), lip liners and most of their lip gloss franchise. So for me there is a balance with the use of MAC products in my kit, as with all other brands I use in my kit.

Originally Posted by hiheather /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No matter how far I go into the makeup world I will still get MAC lipsticks, those are my HG item.
[SIZE=10pt]Same here.  I don't love many other MAC products, but their lipsticks are probably my favorites.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]I do think that there are a decent amount of people who hold MAC to high esteem.  I think some people graduate from drug store makeup to MAC makeup and just stop there thinking MAC is as high as it goes.  I have 2 friends who wear a lot of MAC (as well as a few other products) and they both seem really proud to say they are wearing MAC makeup like they think it is something incredibly special and elite.  We have another friend who wears Dior makeup and the MAC girls seem to think theirs is better and more expensive LOL.[/SIZE]

In my opinion MAC can have some good makeup products, but for me I feel like there are other brands out there that make products that are just as good if not better than MAC.

[SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

I think MAC is generally everyones first stop on the road to getting into high end makeup. I would consider MAC to be more of a mid-end brand, so it does seem kinda luxe, but still affordable at the same time. I have a few things by MAC, but I still use a mixture of low, mid, and high end makeup. I have never been able to get on with MAC foundations or concealers, but there are still products from their permanent line that are outstanding. I never find anything in their endless rotation of collections to be worth my money, it's just over hyped products that are usually poor quality. I dont see anything wrong with people purchasing products from MAC, you just have to do your research and know which ones to get and which ones to avoid. We all have to get into makeup somehow, so maybe MAC is just the gateway drug.

lol I've never bought a single MAC product--probably because the few times I dropped by their shop, I was totally turned off by their reps. one of my friends has nothing but MAC; in her cramped college apt, her entire desk and some nearby drawers stuffed with MAC and nothing else. it's the biggest makeup stash I've seen IRL :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. I guess when a single company produces anything makeup you could ever need, brand loyalty is easy.

MAC is a phase for some, but stuck in time? Eh, not really. If anything they are flash in the pan trendy. I like MAC, though I am not a hard core fan girl. I think people can get burnt out an any brand from time to time.

lol. I have 2 count them two MAC products, theyre eyeshadow. I have Woodwinked(which, I don't really get the hype over, its not that great) and embark(which is a really good matte red brown eyeshadow) but I NEVER reach for them. like ever. its sad. I think I do want to try a lipstick one day. I do think that Mac isn't worth the hype, but its not terrible. I do find that its more inclined to stick to my brush rather than my eye..

I own three Mac products: Fix Plus, Red Russian lipstick, and Coygirl Sheertone blush.  I may spring for Gingerly blush someday, but the only thing I will definitely repurchase is Fix Plus.  I am put off by Mac's constant limited edition collections, the poor/bizarre customer service I have received at the counter, and the dramatic hype surrounding the brand.  I love Sephora and the drugstore too much to shop Mac.

Interesting thread! I was into MAC when I got big into make-up years ago but now, not so much. They are a good stepping stone brand though so I guess I would agree with the gateway drug reference. ;-)

It's funny bc I've never been into MAC. I think they have cute packaging and I like their LE stuff, but the quality of their products...I'd rather buy something else from a higher end line for that price + a few more dollars. I do have one of their blushes which I think is really pigmented, but not my HG blush brand by any means. 

Originally Posted by AtomicBunny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting thread! I was into MAC when I got big into make-up years ago but now, not so much. They are a good stepping stone brand though so I guess I would agree with the gateway drug reference. ;-)
Yeah, MAC was something special and exclusive in the 80's and early 90's, but they've lost their lustre since then, and I too agree with the gateway drug reference... Yet they're a drug I still use, but by no means am I a MAC Junkie.

I am really loving MAC's new collateral promos for their new Mineralized line. In terms of actually trying the product out... Not yet...

I tried Mineralized, and I didn't really love it.  I'm pretty fair, so the makeup artist at their counter put me in Light Plus.  And it was really way too orange for me - it went orange about 10 minutes after I had it on my face.  And even Light - which would pretty much be the only shade I could fall back on - was just off on me.  So, I dunno - the consistency was nice, but they just don't have a good shade range for fair skinned girls like they do in their other foundations.

Latest posts

Back