What is the worst thing you have gotten in a sub box?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What have you gotten in a sub box that you either hated or thought WTF when you got it?

Diptyque Philosykos Eau de Toilette - This perfume gave me an instant recoil effect. It smelled sooooo horrible to me and I had a headache within about 2 minutes of spraying it. I think it is the only item I have ever actually tossed right away.

Self tanning products. I'm have pale skin and I am not out to change it so these are lost on me.

I did not like the diptyque Volutes eau de toilette at all.  The fragrance description is:

"The voyage of your dreams, on board a liner from Marseille to Saigon. A long haul crossing, stopping off at a number of places with magical names, all redolent of adventure and spice. The charm of life on board ship, where time does not exist. The labyrinth of polished passageways and the paneled walls of the lounges, the enigmatic elegant women leaning on the rail on top deck, indulging in the pleasure of Khedive cigarettes. A smell forever imprinted on the memory: Volutes"

To me it smelled like an ashtray!  Figured I was not sophisticated enough to enjoy that one.

Originally Posted by Beautyboxgal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I did not like the diptyque Volutes eau de toilette at all.  The fragrance description is:

"The voyage of your dreams, on board a liner from Marseille to Saigon. A long haul crossing, stopping off at a number of places with magical names, all redolent of adventure and spice. The charm of life on board ship, where time does not exist. The labyrinth of polished passageways and the paneled walls of the lounges, the enigmatic elegant women leaning on the rail on top deck, indulging in the pleasure of Khedive cigarettes. A smell forever imprinted on the memory: Volutes"

To me it smelled like an ashtray!  Figured I was not sophisticated enough to enjoy that one.
I got the Diptyque Vetiver scent...and it smelled like a stinky old man :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

And self tanners. If a sub sends them out, I am guaranteed to get them and they are completely useless to me...rather get a perfume sample or a larabar, honestly...and I hate larabars.

I got the Yu-be moisturizing skin cream from BB.  It smelled horrible!  I gave one sample away (that was unused) and the one I had opened I used on my feet because I could not stand the smell on my hands.  

Another product I did not like receiving was these wipes. I received them from the Good and Lovely box a couple of different times.  I'm sure they are a perfectly fine product, but the packaging embarrassed me, between the name 'SweetSpot', the drawing of a women's body with a heart-shaped ... , and the fact that the wipes came in fragrances like basil grapefruit, geranium lavender, and citrus galbanum.  What's galbanum?  I looked it up, and it is an aromatic gum resin which can be used to give a perfume a 'green' note.  I am shy about these kinds of thing, so I wouldn't want someone to see these in my purse.

7cb6caf5b1afc140_wipes.xlarge.jpg

Are those wipes meant for face, hands or the lady parts regions?  I could see why this would be something to not be very enthused about!

Originally Posted by Beautyboxgal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Another product I did not like receiving was these wipes. I received them from the Good and Lovely box a couple of different times.  I'm sure they are a perfectly fine product, but the packaging embarrassed me, between the name 'SweetSpot', the drawing of a women's body with a heart-shaped ... , and the fact that the wipes came in fragrances like basil grapefruit, geranium lavender, and citrus galbanum.  What's galbanum?  I looked it up, and it is an aromatic gum resin which can be used to give a perfume a 'green' note.  I am shy about these kinds of thing, so I wouldn't want someone to see these in my purse.

7cb6caf5b1afc140_wipes.xlarge.jpg

I'm going old school and saying the february 2012 myglam bag with the dead sea tiny packets. God those were awful .

Easily the "robot bladder" clutch sent in the Pop Sugar luxury box. It is made out of a strange chainmail material and the top of it kind of makes it look like a bizarre kind of flask. Not a fan.

Originally Posted by lovepink /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are those wipes meant for face, hands or the lady parts regions?  I could see why this would be something to not be very enthused about!
There for the lady bits, which is what the Good and Lovely box was about. It was a box that sent, chocolate, teas, aromatheropy, and feminine hygiene products to help with that time of the month. So it might not be super exciting I suppose but getting wipes like this do make sense for a box like Good and Lovely. 

I hate getting perfume samples! hate hate hate them! also, anytime they send me food in my BB. I usually just give them to my husband who thinks its the most amazing thing ever... hahah. As far as actual product that I have gotten that was worthless? That would have to be those hair ties that are just elastic ribbon tied in a knot. I dont know who's hair they work for, but they have never worked for me. AND I KEEP GETTING THEM! So I just let my cats play with them...

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm going old school and saying the february 2012 myglam bag with the dead sea tiny packets. God those were awful .
YES! Those were so bad.

I would also have to add any and all Luna bars that BB sends out!

The soap from Popsugar's Luxury box for her. I can't remember what it's called, but it smells AWFUL! Currently just sitting under my sink. Also didn't like the Epicuren lotion.

From birch box -the colorscience pro bronzer travel puff. Delivered way too much product and very orange on me. Also the eyerocks liner - impossible.

Luna bars from BB, worst thing I ever tasted. I thought everyone exaggerated when they hated seeing these in the boxes, but now I know they werent yuck
sick.gif

Any kind of foil packet.  I despise foil packets and I feel that I'm paying for more than a cheap foil sample that I can get for free elsewhere.  The worst thing that I've received was the silly Eyerock Eyeliner stickers from Birchbox last February or March.  They were terrible!  The expired Befine products from last spring were pretty bad too, as was the Tili bag (the zipper broke on the first use), and the mens cologne.  The Beautyblender cleanser actually made me mad (I have since gotten over it, lol!) as I felt that it should have gone to those that actually got a Beautyblender instead of those who didn't.  Everybody says that you can use it to clean brushes, but I actually didn't even like it as a brush cleaner.

I hated the Paper Coasters from BB way back in Nov. 2011 I believe. The coasters were cute, but they did not last more than a couple of days. I also think the nail jewel strips with hearts on them from MyGlam in May 2012 were pretty awful. 
sadno.gif

Latest posts

Back