Make-up for the Theatre

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anybody know about the victorian period makeup, for theater ? Or just theatrical makeup . What are some of the best products for theater and stage other then ben nye ? I am just starting out have built my kit already but i did not think of theater mu and now i need it.  How  do i continue to add to my kit with out spending a lot more ? 

What you need to look for, for this type of period and style of make-up is pigment. So look for brands that have very intense and opaque pigments in ALL of their products, such as Ben Nye (which you are already familiar with), Kryolan, Mehron, Graftofabian, Cinema Secrets, Joe Blasco, and MUFE's Theatrical Division. Adding to your kit will be a career long endeavour... It will never end (unless you leave the industry). The trick is too add to it slowly within your budget. Street brands don't cut it for theatre work. Yes they work for film, but definitely not for the theatre, Including contemporary and modern performance art theatre.

I agree with vogueboy, cause that's some smart and ultra correct stuff right there. I'm just gonna add some odds and ends to what was previously said.

It's not only about the brands, but also about what products you use from those brands. 
Theatre lighting is a unique beast because it's bright, hot, and can wash things out. You've got to really be able to contour and highlight well, and cream products look most natural. Don't use any contour colors that are red in tone. 

You'll also want an anti-perspirant powder because those lights will make people sweat and bad things will happen. I believe Ben Nye makes one. 

Also, avoid using anything too cool toned because it won't translate well, and put very natural looking false lashes on every female. Mascara won't cut it for people watching from a couple rows back. 

*sneaks in* I love lurking in these kind of threads. I always find great nuggets of information. You guys are good for my learning experience!

Latest posts

Back