March 2013 No buy/low buy thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone up for it this month? ^__^ How'd everyone do last month?

I ended up picking up a Clarisonic Mia for $77 -- I don't feel bad because I was going buy one anyway, and I was just looking for the right deal. Plus, skincare isn't the same for me as makeup because my skin is so depressing I can justify it Y_Y

Thank god you opened this thread!  I was doing late night online makeup browsing and realized it wasn't Feb anymore!  
icon_cheesygrin.gif
  I _almost_ made a $50 online purchase at Sephora but somehow closed my laptop and walked away without clicking buy.  I got suckered in twice in Feb by discounts/sales and didn't want to start off March the same way because it made me feel bad.

What an awesome deal you got on the Clarisonic!  I just got the Mia in January and thought 20% was pretty good...  I think skincare is essential, and if the Clarisonic helps with your skin then it's well worth the purchase.  Very different indeed from, say, buying 5 more blushes when you already have 20....

I did great in Feb, only bought a foundation for 8 bucks since I had coupons :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I wont be on a low buy this month, I finally have a job (yay me) so I will finish decorating my room.. but once april comes I will be back on low buys

I did really well in Feb, and I'm on board for March. I'm going to disney world (on business, lol) tomorrow so I'm sure I'll be spending tons of money but not on make up. A no buy in March will make up for this splurge, too. 

I think I did quite well with my low buy last month. I think I have finally had a breakthrough. Normally, if a new product or line came out, I would just immediately want it all. Now, especially with all the new drugstore products, I pick up a few things here and there and don't get overly obsessed. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I also like making lists after research so I don't go into a store and make an impulse purchase. Good luck everyone. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Did good on a low-buy last month, gonna go for it again this month. I just kinda realized how much I have been spending (and how much of it I don't use) AND I'm staring graduation and student loans in the face...

January's low buy was great and I plan to continue through March. My stash should be down to a more manageable size by then but if not, I'll add another month :) I just don't like the clutter.

Originally Posted by page5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
January's low buy was great and I plan to continue through March. My stash should be down to a more manageable size by then but if not, I'll add another month :)

I just don't like the clutter.
I wish three months would cure my problem. Lol, I was excited about hittting pan on 2 shadows in one of my palettes. I have all of my palettes lined up like books on a shelf and its...a sizeable shelf lol.

Goals for this month: low buy, and go through my collection and get rid of all of the things that are really unflattering or I just dislike. No point in having them hang around getting in the way. Also, I want to hit pan on something. Anything, I don't care what.

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Goals for this month: low buy, and go through my collection and get rid of all of the things that are really unflattering or I just dislike. No point in having them hang around getting in the way. Also, I want to hit pan on something. Anything, I don't care what.
These are similar to my goals. First thing I did this morning was try a new mascara (an estee lauder one from glossy box), next thing I did was drop it in the trash lol. I couldn't even tell I had mascara on. This is a great way to get rid of things, and in the past few months I've become very detached/realistic about what will be used from collection.

I'd also like to hit a few more pans...I'm almost there on one more shade in my naked palette, which I'm really concentrating on right now, and I have to hit the bottom of my theBalm hot mama blush SAMPLE at some point, I use it every day lol.

I have to do a low buy/no buy this month. Spring Break is coming up and most of my money will probably end up being spent there. Also, I opened my gas bill yesterday and that's going to hurt my wallet.

Good luck to everyone :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hi everyone.  I'm going to try to do a low-buy this month.  This is my first time really trying this but I spent way to much in February and am going to try to use up some of the things I already have.

Originally Posted by hindsighting /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Did good on a low-buy last month, gonna go for it again this month. I just kinda realized how much I have been spending (and how much of it I don't use) AND I'm staring graduation and student loans in the face...
I agree, I graduate in May and don't even want to think about student loans 
yuck.gif

I did okay in january and feburary for my low buy, so i'm going to keep up my no buy on makeup and keep my other expenses on a low buy.

I'm on low-buy for one more week since I started the week after New Year's.  I've been strong these two months and I realized that I have tons of stuff in my stash to use up before I run out of them.  There are some things that I want to get at Sephora and MAC that I don't have but I don't want to list them in this thread just in case I "accidentally" enable someone, lol.

Now that I've been going through my stash, I've found that all the things I bought that don't work for me or I don't like fall into three different categories:

Drugstore: I think I justified buying a ton of drugstore stuff because I could get 6 Maybelline blushes for the same price as that one Lancome one, or something like that. Plus, because it was drugstore, I tended to be a little more impulsive with these purchases.

Hautelook: More impulsive purchases, ugh.

MAC Collections: I used to go totally crazy nutso, and that left me with some colors that I just absolutely have no idea why I bought, since they're so unflattering and far from what I usually wear. Oh, I know why--my brain goes nuts when I see the words 'limited edition'.

Originally Posted by hindsighting /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Originally Posted by chelsealynn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi everyone.  I'm going to try to do a low-buy this month.  This is my first time really trying this but I spent way to much in February and am going to try to use up some of the things I already have.

I agree, I graduate in May and don't even want to think about student loans 
yuck.gif
Early congrats grads! 
15d.gif
I have another year of grad school before I start to pay back loans but it feels just around the corner 
sick.gif
 so I know where you're coming from. On the bright side, a few years from now we will have money to splurge on clothing and beauty products (at least that's what I tell myself to get through low-buys).

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Now that I've been going through my stash, I've found that all the things I bought that don't work for me or I don't like fall into three different categories:

Drugstore: I think I justified buying a ton of drugstore stuff because I could get 6 Maybelline blushes for the same price as that one Lancome one, or something like that. Plus, because it was drugstore, I tended to be a little more impulsive with these purchases.

Hautelook: More impulsive purchases, ugh.

MAC Collections: I used to go totally crazy nutso, and that left me with some colors that I just absolutely have no idea why I bought, since they're so unflattering and far from what I usually wear. Oh, I know why--my brain goes nuts when I see the words 'limited edition'.
I know how you feel. I swear the second I see the words limited edition it's like an alarm goes off in my head. I have so many limited edition things that I bought and have since asked myself why the heck I ever thought I needed it. 

I did really well in Feb, not really on purpose though. Haha. I have been having the urge to buy, but I seriously do NOT need anymore makeup. I cancelled 2 subs and I'm really trying to get rid of stuff. One thing I've recently become obsessed with that is helping to replace my urge to buy, is scoping the Internet for free samples. It's like a treasure hunt, lol. I found a girl on YouTube that does monthly hauls of all her freebies, and now I'm hooked.

Originally Posted by tameloy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did really well in Feb, not really on purpose though. Haha. I have been having the urge to buy, but I seriously do NOT need anymore makeup. I cancelled 2 subs and I'm really trying to get rid of stuff.

One thing I've recently become obsessed with that is helping to replace my urge to buy, is scoping the Internet for free samples. It's like a treasure hunt, lol. I found a girl on YouTube that does monthly hauls of all her freebies, and now I'm hooked.
oooo what's her channel? i need to learn to do this, then I won't feel the need to buy things!

I have to say, the trading forum here has been a godsend for me ... I get to unload stuff that I won't be able to use up any time soon, in exchange for trying stuff that I've been curious about but not wanting to pay full price for.  It definitely helps me to not buy things if I can trade for them instead.

Latest posts

Back