The confessional/oops I slipped up thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
To keep from being an enabler in the actual no buy thread, but feeling the need to confess (and subsequently justify) I am starting this thread. 

I just made a purchase from sephora.com. However, I bought make up remover (I'm all out), face wash (I HATE the biore one I'm using now, so as soon as my origins gets delivered it'll be tossed), and body wash (I'm also all out and have been using bar soap which I also hate). 

And all the samples I chose were for men and will be used by my boyfriend within a week. 

So while its not terrible, I still spent 70 dollars on stuff I could've just gone to the drugstore and spent 25 or so on. 

Got a cover stick thinking it was a nude lipstick. :/....

Plus side, I found it is light enough to use as a highlighter stand-in pretty well.

I was doing finals once on a show, and in the rush, I grabbed the wrong actor bag for my lead actor (who was black) and I began using an anti-shine gel, when I was done and looked at the monitor to verify, my actor was slowly getting white chalky streaks all over his face like salt stains. I then suddenly realized that I had been using the wrong anti-shine gel, so I ran back in to remove it. But it wouldn't come off, I then attempted to cover it up with make-up, but it went 2-3 times darker than his skin tone. Then a crew member made a comment about my lead actor having an allergic reaction, he said he felt fine, the crew member pushed the issue, my actor demanded a mirror... He was like wtf... Then the 1st AD comes over, asking why is there a delay, he saw the lead's face. I asked him for me and my actor to be excused to the make-up trailer. It was granted, while the 1st AD was asking me how come I didn't know my job. 10 min later we came back on set with my lead 100% and me 100% embarrassed and fearing for my job. Luckily for me, everything blew over, and no one remembered anything 5 minutes in.

Hmmmm....between December & February I spent approximately $1500+ on mid to higher end cosmetics & a few skin care items. And I'm not a makeup artist :) That's an obscene amount of cash on makeup, considering it's just for me.....but dammit I do love the stuff.....but it's also why I'm starting to flog off some of my purchases that are just sitting around. That being said, I do save a lot of money on a lot of products I buy. Kinda. This means I often wind up buying more LMAO That screw up on set sounds hilarious when you tell it now LOL but I'm sure you were filling your diaper as you watched his face turn different shades hahaha Sorry, can't help but laugh at it :) I have thought about getting into pro makeup but don't think I'd enjoy it so much with that kind of pressure hanging over my head. For me, makeup time is almost like meditation. It's the one extended time period in the day that I don't even speak to my husband, pet my dog, or think about anything or anyone else. This is rare for me because I tend to worry & rehash things in my mind quite a lot. If makeup application takes me an hour, so be it. If it takes me 30 minutes, that's fine too. I do IT work over the internet. My office is overseas where I used to live. So I can set my own schedule as the owner & president of the company are not in their offices until my early evening. It's very rare that I have to slap on my makeup to rush out the door to anywhere. The rare time I do, I hate it. It really stresses me out, and that's when I start making stupid mistakes like forgetting to turn the mascara wand away from my face before reaching for another product, then smearing my face up into agod awful mess. Which is why I think I'd very likely make a crap MUA :)

I bought some stuff yesterday:

A Dior eyeshadow palette. I've never tried anything but their mascara, and I fell in love with the ballerina pallete (lots of soft, pale colors.

Diorshow extase: Honestly, I don't know why I bother with any other mascaras. I finished two drugstore ones, and they were nowhere as glorious as this.

Soap & Glory face wash: I'm almost done with the stuff I have now.

Now, I'm done being bad (I think). On the bright side, I did finish up a few deluxe sized samples this morning and I'm almost done with a few full sized bath products, so yay?

Also, I'm really glad that there's a thread for this now, so people have a place to come and talk about their slip-ups without tempting or enabling anyone else.

Thanks for starting this Jenna! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hmmmm....between December & February I spent approximately $1500+ on mid to higher end cosmetics & a few skin care items. And I'm not a makeup artist :) That's an obscene amount of cash on makeup, considering it's just for me.....but dammit I do love the stuff.....but it's also why I'm starting to flog off some of my purchases that are just sitting around. That being said, I do save a lot of money on a lot of products I buy. Kinda. This means I often wind up buying more LMAO That screw up on set sounds hilarious when you tell it now LOL but I'm sure you were filling your diaper as you watched his face turn different shades hahaha Sorry, can't help but laugh at it :) I have thought about getting into pro makeup but don't think I'd enjoy it so much with that kind of pressure hanging over my head. For me, makeup time is almost like meditation. It's the one extended time period in the day that I don't even speak to my husband, pet my dog, or think about anything or anyone else. This is rare for me because I tend to worry & rehash things in my mind quite a lot. If makeup application takes me an hour, so be it. If it takes me 30 minutes, that's fine too. I do IT work over the internet. My office is overseas where I used to live. So I can set my own schedule as the owner & president of the company are not in their offices until my early evening. It's very rare that I have to slap on my makeup to rush out the door to anywhere. The rare time I do, I hate it. It really stresses me out, and that's when I start making stupid mistakes like forgetting to turn the mascara wand away from my face before reaching for another product, then smearing my face up into agod awful mess. Which is why I think I'd very likely make a crap MUA :)
Yeah, I look back now and chuckle myself. I too find when doing a make-up app or when I curl hair (my fav thing to do), that it is quite relaxing for me as well. I also hear you on the rush make-up jobbies, (not on myself), but on time crunches on set when I have to turn a dirty S F/X make-up into a clean face and back again. That's when I tend to drop brushes, spatulas, puffs, and small bottles... At least you get to zen out for an hour. Very envious...

I went shoe shopping with my brother at the mall today while he was browsing I caught wind of a NYX display it was mostly glitter stuff which was perfect for me since I got it in my head that I NEEDED a glitter liquid liner. I grabbed two and a cobalt blue liner. In the parking lot the blue shattered from dropping in a hole in the bag. It was karma for breaking my no buy month plan.

Yep, the lure of that Pink blush from Alima was just too much to resist - last night, I ordered that, plus their flat-topped foundation brush, which I heard is amazing.  Now, that's a pretty small "haul" for me, and I swear to God, there is literally nothing else on the horizon that I can think of that I want, which is a first for me.  I know this is a pretty dumb excuse, but it's probably just as well that I got those two small things out of the way so I can get through the rest of March, hopefully, with a full-on No Buy.  Actually, to keep it more honest, I guess I should refer to this month technically being a "Low Buy" because of that slip up, though.

Oh, and I also think Playedinloops should get a well-deserved "thumbs up" for this thread!  It's a great way to confess without going into the current "no buy" thread and unintentionally enabling.  Anyone sticking to a no buy just shouldn't click here, LOL!  It's like a spoiler thread - "don't go if you don't wanna know!"
icon_razz.gif

Last monday i have bought a foundation which was super expensive but i got 25% off. I got the YSl teint resist foundation while i don't need any foundations. I keep buying foundations. I have like 8 high end bottles opened at home and i hate myself for that!!! I have also bought the clinique fresh bloom allover colour in Peoni Blend for 25% that monday. These 2 products were 59 euros. And i planned to do a no buy this month, i totally failed. But hey i still got 25 days left to save my money !

I made another purchase, but again don't feel like I broke my low buy. I spent 90 dollars, but birchbox sent me a 25% off coupon for my 1 year anniversary.I used it with some points to get refills of my Miss jessie's hair products that I go through like crazy, origins exfoliator which I'm on the last quarter of a bottle of the scrub I'm using now, amika hair oil, which I also use up fast and am on the last half of a bottle, and dr. jart bb cream. I am out of bb cream, and this is my favorite one. With the coupon, I felt it was justifiable. I use it and my UD naked skin foundation about equal amounts of the time, so I don't see anything wrong with having both around.

So I spent some money, but all on things I need. Again I could go drug store, but I always through drug store stuff away because I don't like it.

I'm about to purchase a few things from the Bobbi Brown lilac rose collection. They're the kind of nice, soft gorgeous colors I dig, and I know that I'll use because I turn to them all the time. It'll be a little expensive, but I've been doing research on them for awhile. Plus, I had a crappy week, so I definitely need a pick me up.

I totally agree about the drugstore stuff. Not all of my drugstore purchases have been bad (some I adore, like the lip butters), but I noticed that when I sorted through my stash, almost all of the items I got rid of were impulse drugstore purchases. 

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm about to purchase a few things from the Bobbi Brown lilac rose collection. They're the kind of nice, soft gorgeous colors I dig, and I know that I'll use because I turn to them all the time. It'll be a little expensive, but I've been doing research on them for awhile. Plus, I had a crappy week, so I definitely need a pick me up.

I totally agree about the drugstore stuff. Not all of my drugstore purchases have been bad (some I adore, like the lip butters), but I noticed that when I sorted through my stash, almost all of the items I got rid of were impulse drugstore purchases. 
I love lip butters too. As a matter of fact, most lip products I love are drug store brand. But skincare, haircare, eyeshadow, foundation, etc...I rarely use drug store stuff I purchase, and it really does add up. I think to myself oh 5 dollars for a wet and wild palette what a great deal. But that palette just sits and only my UD shadows get used. I'm glad I've figured this out so I can stop wasting money.

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love lip butters too. As a matter of fact, most lip products I love are drug store brand. But skincare, haircare, eyeshadow, foundation, etc...I rarely use drug store stuff I purchase, and it really does add up. I think to myself oh 5 dollars for a wet and wild palette what a great deal. But that palette just sits and only my UD shadows get used. I'm glad I've figured this out so I can stop wasting money.
This. I've brought drugstore eyeshadows because of hype and they always end up in my donation box so I refuse to buy any now. I usually buy everything else from a drugstore (liners, lip balm, mascara - I don't wear foundation).

Speaking of lip products, I told myself that I wouldn't buy Clinique Chubby Stick lip balm because they're $16 and I hate Tarte LipSurgences. But I saw a color that I really wanted so I ordered it from Sephora. As well as perfume and a compact mirror. I had store credit so I only paid $17 total. I was trying so hard to save my store credit for a palette or set, but there was nothing really that I wanted and I wanted to buy something. Sounds pathetic I know.

i told myself i wouldn't buy *much* this month since its my birthday and i'll probably get gifts. plus, I don't need anything. but, I won a makeover at this very shi-shi boutique make up store that almost only sells Laura Mercier. They gave me a free full sized Laura Mercier lipstick and I was a little embarrassed so I felt like I absolutely *had* to since the make over certificate said it was valued at over $200. I ended up getting the undercover pot ($34)

...theeeen I got an email saying I have triple points at Sephora. So I got the LM Flawless Face Kit there in Nude because I wanted all the stuff besides the undercover pot (not my shade) and an Urban Decay liquid liner. I mostly feel guilty about not going back to the little boutique to spend money there though...and I probably would not have bought it anyway if it weren't for the triple points. 
icon_rolleyes.gif

I thought I placed an order for the Coastal Scents 22 brush kit for $22 but I guess I never hit submit! I want it and all my brushes are old/I dont have a good range...but I feel like I've bought so much these past few weeks already!

Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i told myself i wouldn't buy *much* this month since its my birthday and i'll probably get gifts. plus, I don't need anything. but, I won a makeover at this very shi-shi boutique make up store that almost only sells Laura Mercier. They gave me a free full sized Laura Mercier lipstick and I was a little embarrassed so I felt like I absolutely *had* to since the make over certificate said it was valued at over $200. I ended up getting the undercover pot ($34)

...theeeen I got an email saying I have triple points at Sephora. So I got the LM Flawless Face Kit there in Nude because I wanted all the stuff besides the undercover pot (not my shade) and an Urban Decay liquid liner. I mostly feel guilty about not going back to the little boutique to spend money there though...and I probably would not have bought it anyway if it weren't for the triple points. 
icon_rolleyes.gif

I thought I placed an order for the Coastal Scents 22 brush kit for $22 but I guess I never hit submit! I want it and all my brushes are old/I dont have a good range...but I feel like I've bought so much these past few weeks already!
birthday.gif

I wanted the Coastal Scents brush set too, I just hate paying for shipping.

I had just convinced my self that I truly don't need any more makeup at the moment but I can feel myself jonesing for some new skin care stuff.. bleh I hate having bad skin!

Also I am getting super stressed about the end of my last semester and starting research projects/submitting things for conferences and I tend to not pay attention to my spending (and eating) habits when that happens

All it took were the words "E.L.F." and "Free shipping on $25" and I was a gonner.

Latest posts

Back