Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
goldenmeans

Birchbox April 2013

Recommended Posts

Question for the dual boxers....

 

I created a second account a week or so ago. Got confirmation last night that my second box had shipped. I set the profile up differently from my original account. I check this morning and low and behold --- what are the freaking odds that I get the exact same box I got on my original sub??

 

I know that sometimes that'll happen -- but really... my first go-round?!

 

Any tips on how to set up your profile to keep from getting twin boxes? Or are we learning (Rapidly) that the profiles don't really mean much? I'm probably better off just leaving it alone and crossing my fingers instead! icon_lol.gif
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by basementsong View Post

 

To anyone who received the Youngblood mattifyer -- have any of you tried it with a tinted moisturizer?

 

The mattifyer was the item I coveted most this month, but I didn't receive it. I saw in someone's earlier posts on it that it's recommended to use the product with foundation, but that she sampled it with her BB cream and the results weren't that great. I used  tinted moisturizer, so I was wondering if anyone else who uses similar makeup has some additional feedback. TIA!

I use a BB cream and honestly noticed absolutely no difference whatsoever - on completely bare skin, recently moisturized skin, under and over various BB creams.  It was a huge disappointment.  If you need a mattifying product, I'd recommend Peter Thomas Roth's Max Anti-Shine Mattifying Gel (available in the Birchbox store) or Clini-Matte (mattifies and moisturizes).  I own both of these and love them.  There's also Urban Decay's De-Slick products & Murad's Oil Control Mattifier, among other products.  I've been using Tarte's Smooth Operator finishing powder, which seems to work pretty well.  I honestly couldn't recommend PTR's Max Anti-Shine Mattifying Gel and Clini-Matte highly enough.  They're my favorite mattifying products.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by nikkimouse View Post

 

so my box on my second account updated this morning there is no picture of the samples but here is what I'm getting

700

 

 

 

I'm so excited!!!! This is the box i ordered on 4/14 it is an April box not a gift subscription .

That looks like a great box, lucky you!!  I have the Cargo bronzer and like it very much...the product and the cute container :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by audiophilekate View Post

 

I use a BB cream and honestly noticed absolutely no difference whatsoever - on completely bare skin, recently moisturized skin, under and over various BB creams.  It was a huge disappointment.  If you need a mattifying product, I'd recommend Peter Thomas Roth's Max Anti-Shine Mattifying Gel (available in the Birchbox store) or Clini-Matte (mattifies and moisturizes).  I own both of these and love them.  There's also Urban Decay's De-Slick products & Murad's Oil Control Mattifier, among other products.  I've been using Tarte's Smooth Operator finishing powder, which seems to work pretty well.  I honestly couldn't recommend PTR's Max Anti-Shine Mattifying Gel and Clini-Matte highly enough.  They're my favorite mattifying products.

I'll check the PTR stuff out! I have the UD setting sprays. I feel like the De-Slick spray doesn't do anything for me. Too bad I got the XL bottle! I feel like it sets everything pretty well, in terms of a setting spray, but for oil control it doesn't make much of a difference. I looooove the Tarte finishing powder. With summer coming around the corner, all I want is for my make up to stay in place and to not look super shiny! Is that too much to ask for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Question for the dual boxers.... I created a second account a week or so ago. Got confirmation last night that my second box had shipped. I set the profile up differently from my original account. I check this morning and low and behold --- what are the freaking odds that I get the exact same box I got on my original sub?? I know that sometimes that'll happen -- but really... my first go-round?! Any tips on how to set up your profile to keep from getting twin boxes? Or are we learning (Rapidly) that the profiles don't really mean much? I'm probably better off just leaving it alone and crossing my fingers instead! :icon_lol:  
I also signed up for a second box & I'm getting the same box in my second account. I hope to get different boxes in may.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by usofjessamerica View Post

 

I'll check the PTR stuff out! I have the UD setting sprays. I feel like the De-Slick spray doesn't do anything for me. Too bad I got the XL bottle! I feel like it sets everything pretty well, in terms of a setting spray, but for oil control it doesn't make much of a difference. I looooove the Tarte finishing powder. With summer coming around the corner, all I want is for my make up to stay in place and to not look super shiny! Is that too much to ask for?

I have the small bottle of UD's De-Slick spray and a full-sized bottle of the All Nighter spray.  I wish I had gotten a full-sized bottle of De-Slick and a small bottle of All Nighter.  I prefer the way De-Slick sprays.  It seems like more comes out - I only need about 2 sprays.  It could just be the nozzle attached to that bottle though.  I don't notice any oil control, but the Tarte finishing powder does such a great job, there really isn't any oil to control.  I'm also kinda paranoid about shiny skin and do everything I can to prevent it.  On Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, I have back-to-back classes from 9am to 3.15pm (4.30pm on Saturdays) and school bathrooms aren't the best place to touch up your makeup - I put my makeup on around 5-6am and just sort of hope for the best.  But, yeah, check out the PTR stuff.  At the end of May last year, I went to Sephora to get some help choosing a mattifying product.  The woman helping me gave me a sample of just about every mattifying skincare product in the store.  I tried each of the samples, but PTR's Clini-Matte is the only sample I actually finished.  The gel works better than the lotion, but I really wouldn't recommend it to someone with dry skin - it makes my skin super dry and flaky if I don't have my bazillion layers of moisturizer on underneath it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by audiophilekate View Post

 

I have the small bottle of UD's De-Slick spray and a full-sized bottle of the All Nighter spray.  I wish I had gotten a full-sized bottle of De-Slick and a small bottle of All Nighter.  I prefer the way De-Slick sprays.  It seems like more comes out - I only need about 2 sprays.  It could just be the nozzle attached to that bottle though.  I don't notice any oil control, but the Tarte finishing powder does such a great job, there really isn't any oil to control.  I'm also kinda paranoid about shiny skin and do everything I can to prevent it.  On Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, I have back-to-back classes from 9am to 3.15pm (4.30pm on Saturdays) and school bathrooms aren't the best place to touch up your makeup - I put my makeup on around 5-6am and just sort of hope for the best.  But, yeah, check out the PTR stuff.  At the end of May last year, I went to Sephora to get some help choosing a mattifying product.  The woman helping me gave me a sample of just about every mattifying skincare product in the store.  I tried each of the samples, but PTR's Clini-Matte is the only sample I actually finished.  The gel works better than the lotion, but I really wouldn't recommend it to someone with dry skin - it makes my skin super dry and flaky if I don't have my bazillion layers of moisturizer on underneath it.

haha! i with i had a full bottle of all nighter and a small deslick! but i use it anyway.

 

my class/make up schedule sounds fairly similar to yours. the only thing i ever touch up on is lipstick if i'm wearing any. other than that, i just let it be. i try not to fill my purse or backpack up with makeup stuff because i know it will just get lost in the abyss. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by usofjessamerica View Post

 

haha! i with i had a full bottle of all nighter and a small deslick! but i use it anyway.

 

my class/make up schedule sounds fairly similar to yours. the only thing i ever touch up on is lipstick if i'm wearing any. other than that, i just let it be. i try not to fill my purse or backpack up with makeup stuff because i know it will just get lost in the abyss. 

I almost bought the XL De-Slick, but I waited too long.  I'm kinda glad I didn't though.  I'm sure my current bottles will last me forever.

 

I keep my makeup/skincare essentials in one of my Ipsy bags (I'm currently using the March 2013 one) - it keeps everything from getting lost in the black hole that is my bag.  The only things I really reach for are my Embryolisse cream, Tarte LipSurgence Skintuitive Lip Tint, and Fresh Sugar lip balm.  I love how long the Tarte lip tint lasts.  I didn't realize it was a stain until I tried it.  I thought it would be like Clinique's Chubby Sticks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My account just updated with my first box! Here is my April box:

 

700

 

Looks like I'll be getting:

 

  • Kiehl's Powerful-Strength Line-Reducing Concentrate

  • Atelier Orange Sanguine Cologne
  • Simple Revitalizing Eye Roll-On
  • Nexxus Youth Renewal Rejuvenating Elixir
  • Mirenesse Glossy Kiss

 

I am excited about the eye roller and the Mirenesse. I'll give the Kiehl's a try - i love their products. I just hope it wont be too much for my oily skin.

 

The nexxus is pretty bleh.. my hair is normal-oily and super thick, so i'm not sure why they would give me an anti-aging hair oil. The sheer amount of anti-aging stuff in this box puzzles me.. I'm 28 with oily, acne-prone skin and thick normal-oily hair. My skin and hair can't handle the heavy-duty anti-aging stuff quite yet.. looks like my mom will be getting to try a lot of this stuff, haha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by nikkimouse View Post

 

so my box on my second account updated this morning there is no picture of the samples but here is what I'm getting

700

 

 

 

I'm so excited!!!! This is the box i ordered on 4/14 it is an April box not a gift subscription .

I opened a second account this month and this is the one I'm getting, too! It just shipped as well. I'm excited because it's the first time I'll be getting a box with this many items! I already got the simple eye roller in my other box, but that's ok... something to trade! I was really hoping for the Youngblood, but... eh. I'm happy to be trying all these things, just the same! yay!! icon_cheesygrin.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by unicorn View Post

 

My account just updated with my first box! Here is my April box:

 

700

 

Looks like I'll be getting:

 

  • Kiehl's Powerful-Strength Line-Reducing Concentrate

  • Atelier Orange Sanguine Cologne
  • Simple Revitalizing Eye Roll-On
  • Nexxus Youth Renewal Rejuvenating Elixir
  • Mirenesse Glossy Kiss

 

I am excited about the eye roller and the Mirenesse. I'll give the Kiehl's a try - i love their products. I just hope it wont be too much for my oily skin.

 

The nexxus is pretty bleh.. my hair is normal-oily and super thick, so i'm not sure why they would give me an anti-aging hair oil. The sheer amount of anti-aging stuff in this box puzzles me.. I'm 28 with oily, acne-prone skin and thick normal-oily hair. My skin and hair can't handle the heavy-duty anti-aging stuff quite yet.. looks like my mom will be getting to try a lot of this stuff, haha!

That's an awesome box! I bet that perfume smells wonderful I'm curious to hear what you think!

 

About the hair stuff, if it helps, I don't really think of it as an anti aging product. It makes my hair softer, shiny, and a bit less frizzy. So, I consider that a win.

 

I didn't get the Mirenesse in my first box, but I traded for it, and I got the same color as you. It is AMAZING! It's a brighter red than that picture shows, but it's a pretty color and so glossy and moisturizing! I bet you'll love it! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by Scooby384 View Post

 

 

Just don't mix creams or balms with powder products in the same palette...it'll get powder in the balm or cream and junk it up.

Thanks. I did not know that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone else ever received the wrong box? If so, what is Birchbox's policy--do they just give you like 50 BB points or say "sorry, nothing we can do?".

 

Funny--not only did I receive the wrong box, I partially received the wrong contents, according to the slip of paper it came with :P. I was really looking forward to trying the Supergoop CC cream (I'm lazy about SPF lol), but I received the Mirenesse glossy kiss in "Scarlett" instead. Which I think is a bit of an improvement from the box I was supposed to get, but I don't wear dark red lipsticks. I'll probably put it up for trade or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by tnorth1852 View Post

 

Question for the dual boxers....

 

I created a second account a week or so ago. Got confirmation last night that my second box had shipped. I set the profile up differently from my original account. I check this morning and low and behold --- what are the freaking odds that I get the exact same box I got on my original sub??

 

I know that sometimes that'll happen -- but really... my first go-round?!

 

Any tips on how to set up your profile to keep from getting twin boxes? Or are we learning (Rapidly) that the profiles don't really mean much? I'm probably better off just leaving it alone and crossing my fingers instead! icon_lol.gif

 

 

I have three subs, and I always get a duplicate box, but it's not always on the same two accounts.  Some month, it's subs A and B.  Some months, it's A and C.  Some months, it's B and C.  I tweak my profiles every month in the hope that something does the trick, but that has yet to happen.  My next step if May doesn't yield three different boxes:  Setting one sub up with curly hair.  Those boxes always seem to have interesting things in them, and I can save up the curly-haired things and give them to my sister-in-law.  My brother's entire family is curly, but she's got the tightest curls and the longest hair, plus she's female (the kids are both boys), so she would probably be the best person I know to give them to.  

 

(My own hair is weird:  When it's short, it's straight.  When it grows out, it develops waves and curly bits at the ends, but most of it is still straight.  It's kind of like a cross between Adele and Sam on _Supernatural_ with a hefty dose of Marlo Thomas circa 1969 and a dash of Lili Taylor -- since I let the last hair stylist cut some layers into it -- right now, but it's super heavy and won't hold a curl if I try to style it.  I can never figure out whether to say that my hair is wavy or straight on profiles.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by unicorn View Post

 

My account just updated with my first box! Here is my April box:

 

 

Looks like I'll be getting:

 

  • Kiehl's Powerful-Strength Line-Reducing Concentrate

  • Atelier Orange Sanguine Cologne
  • Simple Revitalizing Eye Roll-On
  • Nexxus Youth Renewal Rejuvenating Elixir
  • Mirenesse Glossy Kiss

 

I am excited about the eye roller and the Mirenesse. I'll give the Kiehl's a try - i love their products. I just hope it wont be too much for my oily skin.

 

The nexxus is pretty bleh.. my hair is normal-oily and super thick, so i'm not sure why they would give me an anti-aging hair oil. The sheer amount of anti-aging stuff in this box puzzles me.. I'm 28 with oily, acne-prone skin and thick normal-oily hair. My skin and hair can't handle the heavy-duty anti-aging stuff quite yet.. looks like my mom will be getting to try a lot of this stuff, haha!

The Nexxus isn't an oil, it's a creamy serum.  They only recommend using a few drops smoothed through damp hair, so it isn't enough product to weigh it down at all. Just FYI! The first ingredient is water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by americanclassic View Post

 

Has anyone else ever received the wrong box? If so, what is Birchbox's policy--do they just give you like 50 BB points or say "sorry, nothing we can do?".

 

Funny--not only did I receive the wrong box, I partially received the wrong contents, according to the slip of paper it came with :P. I was really looking forward to trying the Supergoop CC cream (I'm lazy about SPF lol), but I received the Mirenesse glossy kiss in "Scarlett" instead. Which I think is a bit of an improvement from the box I was supposed to get, but I don't wear dark red lipsticks. I'll probably put it up for trade or something.

 

It depends on who ends up answering your email and whether they have the correct box.  Sometimes they send the "correct" box, sometimes they give you 100 points, sometimes they just shrug and change the box on your account so you can review the correct items.  I would say to send an email listing what your box history says you should have received, what the card says was supposed to be in the box, and what you actually received and see what they have to say about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by Scooby384 View Post

 

That's interesting....mine is labeled 14. Perfect Kiss and it's a maroon with gold shimmer.

 

 

700

That's such a pretty color.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by Sheeeeeelby View Post

 

I got my box today! Box 28

 

 

 

J.R. Watkins Peppermint Foot Repair Salve :  smells really good! I almost want to put it on my lips lol. It is tingly and cooling on my feet. Would be great to slather on after a long day of work and being on your feet!

 
Nexxus Hyra Light Leave In Conditioning Foam:  I didn't realize this was full size! Awesome!  It smells nice.
 
Caudalie Divine Oil
 
Supergoop CC Cream
 
Simple Eye Roll-On : Another full size! yay!  Very cool and refreshing on eyes!

 

700

 

 

Overall, pretty pleased!

That's a great box!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by lioness90 View Post

 

My first ever birchbox shipped!

 

I'm getting...

 

 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

Caudalie Divine Oil

Whish Shave Cream

Nexxus Youth Renewal Rejuvenating Elixir

Ruby Wing Nail Polish

Simple Revitalizing Eye Roll-Om

 

Not bad for a first box icon_cheesygrin.gif

That's a pretty good first box!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by nikkimouse View Post

 

so my box on my second account updated this morning there is no picture of the samples but here is what I'm getting

700

 

 

 

I'm so excited!!!! This is the box i ordered on 4/14 it is an April box not a gift subscription .

Wow youre getting the cargo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I LOVE sanguini! <3 That is a perfume sample I wouldn't mind getting (no thank you, Juicy)

Originally Posted by nicepenguins View Post

I got the orange perfume in mine. It basically smells like blood oranges, very Mediterranean. Didn't last long on me though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That's interesting....mine is labeled 14. Perfect Kiss and it's a maroon with gold shimmer. LL
That's such a pretty color.
That's weird because mine is labeled 14. Perfect Kiss and it's orange (but not neon) with shimmer. The closest match I own is Maybelline Color Whisper in Pin Up Peach. Other people say Perfect Kiss is a coral, and I agree it's a very orangey coral. Your swatch above looks totally different than the other swatches I've seen and it's not the same color as the Perfect Kiss I got when I swatched it myself. Could there be something wonky with the way Mirenesse labeled the samples/colors?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by basementsong View Post

 

 

I think the orange shade it kind of hit-or-miss for us pale girls. I've also seen pics other MUTers and my friends have shared where they look great with that shade. I'm pale and brunette and I truly look like a clown when I put it on my lips. It was nice to try (and I'm not enraged I got sent a color I don't find flattering on me -- and I'm def not going to demand BB fire anyone over it like someone on FB did! icon_rolleyes.gif) but ultimately not the shade or formula for me.

 

Yes, I was trying to be optimistic because coral can look ok on me.  But the orange was just too...bright.  My husband took one look at me when we got home and said "

whoa scary lips" and refused to kiss me.  Soooo...guessing I'll be passing it on.  LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by Shanny81 View Post

 

 

Yes, I was trying to be optimistic because coral can look ok on me.  But the orange was just too...bright.  My husband took one look at me when we got home and said "

whoa scary lips" and refused to kiss me.  Soooo...guessing I'll be passing it on.  LOL.

LOL at "scary lips"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • NARS Cosmetics Shop Cargo Cosmetics Today!


  • Posts

    • I didn't tryied the vitimin C serum cream for my skin, I think it very harsh when you are using it at your skin so it would be hard for me to have it I will try something else..
    • Today was pay day. I paid $22.90 extra on my credit card. I realized I'm now halfway done with my goal for the month - to pay $100.00 toward my credit card (including minimum payment). It's halfway through the month, so I am right on track! I made a $30 payment last week. I got deodorant, the only beauty item I need to replace. I ended up not getting the fancy new Secret or an Avon set, but just regular Secret Paris Rose from Dollar General. It was $5 - I thought that was a little high in price. I had this deo before during my No Buys, so it's a tradition. I didn't feel like spending extra or taking the time to order online. Too lazy to fill out the order pages! I sure am out of practice shopping! 
    • What am I wishing for right now? Yesterday I was looking at the Yves Rocher French website to see if they have anything new that might come to the US. I found something to love, but not a thing this time. In France, Yves Rocher has special salons. They have some fabulous sounding treatments. One I really fell in love with was an eyebrow treatment. They put eye patches under your eyes, then while those are on, they shape the eyebrows. After all is done, they apply an eye cream. That's what I'd love right now, and I suppose I could copy it at home with what I already have. 
    • It feels like it has been January for a long time, but we're only halfway through the month. There's still time to do a lot of things this month!  I have some empties! I finished my three DHC foil packets, the two mini micellar waters from my Yves Rocher Advent Calendar, and my Neutrogena Shampoo mini.  Now using up: June Jacobs Green Tea and Cucumber Shampoo mini Freeman Cucumber and Pink Salt Masque packet MAC Strobe Cream mini in Pinklite - This is a really nice cream that has a bit of pink color corrector and a bit of luminosity. It's great for a no makeup routine! Very pretty, and feels wonderful on the skin. I got it in an Ipsy bag.  I had the Freeman cucumber masque in my project use it up in January 2018. Now I have another one to use. There is a lot of product in the packet. It is enough for several weeks of use. But it is a clay masque, so it gets dry and messy in the packet. I recall having a hard time using it all up before. So I opened the packet all around the edges, and used a spatula to transfer the contents into an empty jar so it will stay fresh and be easier to use up. I'm looking forward to using it with my new masque brush! I will be having some fun masque and movie nights!     
    • The best concert I have ever attended was by Bohemia: the Punjabi Rapper. He was in Delhi (Lajpat Nagar) He is my favourite Artist and Rapper. When I saw him for the first time, my soul felt bliss ❤️ All the crowd of fans were going insane about him I can't forget that moment and want to attend more and more of his concerts

About MakeupTalk®

© 2003-2018 MakeupTalk.com®, an active online community and message board geared towards members wanting to discuss everything to do with makeup, cosmetics, product reviews, monthly subscription boxes and general beauty related topics. Our community provides product reviews, makeup and general beauty tips. Our most popular topics are subscription boxes and their monthly spoilers. Join our community for free to take part in the conversations and share your own beauty tips and product reviews with others. We look forward to seeing you online here at Makeuptalk®!

MakeupTalk® Facebook

×