where do you put on your makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a mirror in my bedroom, there is an overhead light and 1 window, but I never can see if my makeup is symmetrical because the lighting isn't symmetrical (there's more light on one side) I check in the bathroom mirror that does have lights symmetrically mounted above the mirror to check that makeup is even on both sides, but I'm starting to wonder if getting a lighted makeup mirror is worth it or at least buying a light that can be mounted above my bedroom mirror..I'm constantly going from mirror to mirror to check my makeup in the different lights, it seems silly .. Where do you put on your makeup? do you have special lighting requirements? anyone have any recommendations?

I do it at my desk, which is my makeshift vanity. I've got my desk lamp focused on my face and a medium sized mirror, and a few small compact type mirrors randomly placed for different angles and doing my eye makeup up close. but nothing specific. I really need to have more natural light in my room. so thats what I suggest. lol. whenever I get to my car, I'm like "oh my god, my skin doesn't match. like at all!"

I put my makeup on in the bathroom, but my mom has a makeup mirror that I always check in the different light settings after I do it. I think that as long as where you put your makeup on it evenly lighted then it doesn't nessacarily need to be a makeup mirror :)

In the bathroom - I have a three strong lights above the mirror, and an overhead light for the whole room.  It's good lighting for such a crappy apartment!

I do my makeup in my bathroom- I have lights above my mirror too. I always re-check my makeup though in natural lighting upstairs.

I used to do my makeup in my bathroom, standing over the sink, which was annoying because brushes and stuff kept falling INTO the sink.  I've since bought one of those round vanity mirrors which I love because now I can do my makeup right next to the window in natural light.  Also the desk I set the mirror on has plenty of room (unlike my terrible sink) to set out everything I need.

In our bedroom, I have a desk that my fiancée stained this really nice dark color to match out dressers and I do my makeup there. I use a ton of different organizers and drawer sets all around and in the closet/bathroom area to hold my collection though.

Im horrible and just sit on my couch. Lol i do check in bathroom mirror with strong vanity lights around it after tho.

I always do it in my bathroom because the counter its big, but check in the mirror in my room if its during the day to check how it looks with natural daylight. If possible I would suggest getting natural lighting because it is the closest to what it would look as to when you go outside.

In the bathroom, I have a big mirror and plenty of counter space in there. I've always dreamed of having a vanity where I could sit down and do my make-up though. I wish I had room for one in our bedroom.

i used to do it in my bathroom above my sink and i always hated it, but the lighting was perfect. i recently broke my foot and HAD to move everything to my desk and buy a lighted mirror so i could sit down and do my makeup. BEST THING EVER! i love sitting at my desk, taking my time and doing my makeup. i have slowly turned it into my vanity and i love having a place where i can sit and plan a look out or just look at my makeup! haha!

My husband made me a vanity based off of something I saw on Pinterest. I love it! I have a large square mirror with two desk lamps mounted on the wall (one on the top left and the other on the top right)  that shine down on me.

I do my makeup at my computer desk area. I live in a dark room with zero windows and two tiny little lamps on opposite sides of the room. I use one of those light up mirrors but I find they are just horrible for any types of lighting so I never turn it on. I'm actually in the process of setting up a vanity near a window so I can do a better job. It is such a miracle my makeup even turns out so well and blended.

My husband made me a vanity based off of something I saw on Pinterest. I love it! I have a large square mirror with two desk lamps mounted on the wall (one on the top left and the other on the top right)  that shine down on me.
That organizer looks great.

I do it in my bedroom... It has okay lighting during the day, pretty average with my light in the center of my room at night, but I'm ok with that because if I am doing my makeup at night it's because I will be going out that night. A great tip that I once got that I live by is to think about where you will be with the makeup.. i.e., if I'm going to a club, I try to do my makeup in a darker light setting because when I use too much light I tend to go softer on colors and looks, and in dark light in a club or restaurant those looks barely show up and it looks like I'm not even wearing makeup. I like to do my smokey eye in a darker light setting so I know how it will actually look in a darker setting later on! 

I used to do my makeup in my bathroom but someone on YouTube said that it's bad to store makeup there. Plus, I hate standing and doing my makeup. I have a makeshift vanity in my bedroom - an old walmart desk, a cute chair, desktop vanity mirror, a cheap mirror from Target on the wall, and makeup and jewelry organizers on top. I have 3 sets of lights in the room because I don't have much natural light. Overall, I'm satified.

I wish there was an ikea in my state - I would love to upgrade my desk to something with a drawer.

Meh, I gonna jump in here... Sometimes I work out of a small room like this... (Could be someone's bathroom for anyone here thinking of doing a small remodelling job)
Or sometimes I work out of a converted 18 wheeler trailer...
... *sigh*

I admit that I don't like make up, looked at his mother of cosmetics on the desk, trying to make up, it feels good, mom's dressing table is very beautiful, very old, like the ancient Chinese princess

Latest posts

Back