What did your mother teach you about make up?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My mother did not teach me 1 thing about makeup.  I have learned nearly 90% of what I know from Youtube, fashion magazines, or in store advice and I am in my early 20s. 

My mom did not teach me a single thing about foundation, powder, brows, eye shadow, eye liner, mascara, lips, bronzer, blush, or highlighters or self tanners or heat protectants or anything.  I cannot think of one thing she taught me beauty wise.

She did not teach me that it's important to even out your skintone, cover redness and oiliness in the T Zone, how much of a difference concealer makes under your eyes, how dramatic just filling in your brows frames your face, how it's important to blend your shadows, and how much using 2 different brands of mascara lengthens your lashes.  She didn't teach me how you can apply a shimmery shadow over a darker tone one right above your pupil to draw light to the area.  She never taught me to apply eyeshadow primer underneath to prevent from creasing nor to curl my lashes.  She never taught me about contouring to make my wide face appear more shapely, or applying highlighters to the upper points of your face to make them appear more prominent.  She never taught me to set my skin or don't apply liner to the bottom waterline so my eyes didn't appear closed in.  She never taught me at all.

Please share what each of your moms taught you if anything that were wise words or not.

If I have a daughter, I will teach her about makeup as soon as she hits puberty.  I went through rough teenage years having bad acne and not knowing a single thing about makeup, but know I have come across the other side (as they say) in only a few years with much tips and tricks under my belt.

Absolutely nothing.

My mom isn't into beauty stuff at all. She rarely wears any makeup at all (she doesn't even own something as simple as foundation), she doesn't get her nails done or do them herself etc. She doesn't even really do anything with her hair other than put hot curlers in it to give it a little body and a bit more curl.

Everything I know I pretty much learned myself by experimenting. I didn't even really know about YouTube/video tutorials until about a year ago, and I like keeping things pretty simple most of the time anyway.

Originally Posted by KeepOnSingin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Absolutely nothing.

My mom isn't into beauty stuff at all. She rarely wears any makeup at all (she doesn't even own something as simple as foundation), she doesn't get her nails done or do them herself etc. She doesn't even really do anything with her hair other than put hot curlers in it to give it a little body and a bit more curl.

Everything I know I pretty much learned myself by experimenting. I didn't even really know about YouTube/video tutorials until about a year ago, and I like keeping things pretty simple most of the time anyway.
Glad to hear there's another mom like mine here...

I thought our makeup/beauty relationship was uncommon and that mom's are supposed to have that role of shaping a girl's beauty regimen from an early age.  Guess not.

Originally Posted by CharmedImSure /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Glad to hear there's another mom like mine here...

I thought our makeup/beauty relationship was uncommon and that mom's are supposed to have that role of shaping a girl's beauty regimen from an early age.  Guess not.
That may be more typical, but it certainly wasn't my experience. I know my 18 year old sister has had the same one, and I've been the one to teach my 13 year old sister.

My mother taught me nothing. She has makeup but doesn't wear it. She never taught me about skincare as I'm thankful for considering she only uses regular body wash as face wash!

Everything I have learned is via youtube/google/friends.

My mom has makeup but doesn't wear it (doesn't really need it). I grew up in a conservative household and wasn't allowed to wear anything but clear nail polish until prom. I never got into makeup/beauty until I got my first job after undergrad last year. Thank god for Youtube or else I would be walking around with raccoon eyes lol (I'm still experimenting though). Now I'm teaching my mom makeup stuff. It doesn't really bother me that she didn't teach me but I would teach my daughter (if I have one someday) if she was old enough and wanted to learn it.

Originally Posted by lioness90 /img/forum/go_quote.gifThank god for Youtube or else I would be walking around with raccoon eyes lol (I'm still experimenting though). 
haha I hear you that is the story of my life.  I made SO many blistering makeup sins before I discovered youtube from filling in my brows with a shade 3 times TOO dark (charcoal almost) to having cover up 3 times lighter than my natural glowy skin, to only using foundation (not even close to my skin tone) to spot cover my pimples.  Or wearing dark purple or black (only one shadow) all over my lids and applying eyeliner without any mascara (this is a makeup faux pas in my opinion.)

Ah the absolute HORROR!  Once I found a great youtube guru I could relate to (and I'm not talking about the more popular ones but some of the lesser known) it was like having a personal MUA at my fingertips.

haha I hear you that is the story of my life.  I made SO many blistering makeup sins before I discovered youtube from filling in my brows with a shade 3 times TOO dark (charcoal almost) to having cover up 3 times lighter than my natural glowy skin, to only using foundation (not even close to my skin tone) to spot cover my pimples.  Or wearing dark purple or black (only one shadow) all over my lids and applying eyeliner without any mascara (this is a makeup faux pas in my opinion.)

Ah the absolute HORROR!  Once I found a great youtube guru I could relate to (and I'm not talking about the more popular ones but some of the lesser known) it was like having a personal MUA at your fingertips.
I was as bad but instead of just using one product to cover my pimples, I put on EVERYTHING and looking back say on my school pictures from 7th and 8th grade, I pretty much look like I have a mask on o_O

I almost always wear either only eyeliner or mascara, and not both. But my lashes are naturally super long, thick, black and curly, so people usually think I'm wearing mascara even if I'm not. Honestly, for me, mascara is only to make my lashes look super DRAMATIC, and what I try to do is make them look fake. If I'm gonna do something to them, I might as well make it noticeable!!

Me three! Nothing I've learned about makeup came from my mom. Her routine when I was a kid is pretty much the same as it is now. A little pressed powder and lipstick, very lightly dabbed on. Not a stitch of foundation, cover up, blush, or eye makeup. And she only wore makeup to cultural events, award ceremonies, weddings, etc.

All my interest in anything beauty related was all me, and I fed the obsession by perusing fashion magazines and makeup books. I don't begrudge my mom for it. She was busy working a lot those days, and that kind of stuff just isn't that important to her, and being from a different background didn't help either. If I ever have kids, I'd probably only teach them if they showed an interest in it. I mean, sure, it's kind of cringe-worthy looking at old photos now with the makeup trends of the time, poorly applied, but there's also a certain charm to it that I find endearing.

I can imagine how everyone that does the heavy raccoon eye (a la Taylor Momsen) will feel 5, 10 years from now! If my kid had skin issues that led to stress or poor self-esteem, then I'd certainly let them know they had an option to learn how to cover it up. But generally, I'm against encouraging the use of makeup too soon unless it's out of need to express themselves or if there's an active interest there. And even then, I'd encourage them to start simple.

Makeup's one thing. The thing that I really would've appreciated some mom-advice on is skin care, my period (she supplied the stuff, but never really talked to me about it), and hair removal. I had to figure that stuff out on my own, and there was a lot of trial and error!

Originally Posted by KeepOnSingin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was as bad but instead of just using one product to cover my pimples, I put on EVERYTHING and looking back say on my school pictures from 7th and 8th grade, I pretty much look like I have a mask on o_O

I almost always wear either only eyeliner or mascara, and not both. But my lashes are naturally super long, thick, black and curly, so people usually think I'm wearing mascara even if I'm not. Honestly, for me, mascara is only to make my lashes look super DRAMATIC, and what I try to do is make them look fake. If I'm gonna do something to them, I might as well make it noticeable!!
I cannot even look at my high school photos because of the burning reminder of how tough that was on my self esteem.

Everyone has make up tips fit for their individual features.  See, I used to apply VERY thick liner on the top, but no mascara whatsoever.  And I have thin lashes, so you could see that I just drew a line on top.  I need the mascara if I'm wearing liner.  

Also I know girls with big eyes cannot skip the bottom waterline, I absolutely feel like a different person if I rim the bottom.  Small beady eyes and whatnot...I need a clean waterline 
icon_lol.gif

I cannot even look at my high school photos because of the burning reminder of how tough that was on my self esteem.

Everyone has make up tips fit for their individual features.  See, I used to apply VERY thick liner on the top, but no mascara whatsoever.  And I have thin lashes, so you could see that I just drew a line on top.  I need the mascara if I'm wearing liner.  

Also I know girls with big eyes cannot skip the bottom waterline, I absolutely feel like a different person if I rim the bottom.  Small beady eyes and whatnot...I need a clean waterline 
icon_lol.gif
I feel you on the self esteem. I absolutely hated my face when I was in middle school which is why I used so much to cover it up. Then I pretty much stopped wearing makeup until I got to college.

I rarely put any liner on the top, just the bottom. It's funny how different things work for different people! I also never line the whole bottom which many people say is a faux pas, but I know that on me that's what works best, so I don't really care what other people say I should do or not!

Originally Posted by bluelion /img/forum/go_quote.gif

All my interest in anything beauty related was all me, and I fed the obsession by perusing fashion magazines and makeup books. I don't begrudge my mom for it. She was busy working a lot those days, and that kind of stuff just isn't that important to her, and being from a different background didn't help either.
Also describes me and my mom. (she comes from a different background as well)  She did not care about anything beauty related.  On the one side this was a good thing because I was raised a very athletic/academic lifestyle, on the other hand, I had incredibly low self esteem next to all those polished girls, and still to this day have issues talking to men.

I have a personal theory that due to my mom's lack of interest in anything make up or beauty related this is what has now led to my current obsession with everything beauty.  (Kind of a 'trying to fit in a clique' that I've never been in but have always admired from afar)  To the point where I'd love (but would not dare) to become a professional MUA maybe on the side (even mentioning this to my mom, she will say you don't get paid for those things and brush it off as a useless idea)

icon_lol.gif
I refuse to open my HS yearbook because I hated the way that I looked. 

I wear liner on the top and waterline because I love the way it looks on me. I love dramatic eyes. I'm still searching for a mascara for my short, thick, stubborn lashes. I was scared to waterline my eyes when I first got into makeup. I'm still probably doing it wrong.

I had incredibly low self esteem next to all those polished girls, and still to this day have issues talking to men.

I have a personal theory that due to my mom's lack of interest in anything make up or beauty related this is what has now led to my current obsession with everything beauty.  (Kind of a 'trying to fit in a clique' that I've never been in but have always admired from afar)  To the point where I'd love (but would not dare) to become a professional MUA maybe on the side (even mentioning this to my mom, she will say you don't get paid for those things and brush it off as a useless idea)
I agree - I think this is true for me too.

My mom didn't teach me anything about makeup/beauty either. I didn't start wearing makeup until later in high school, and I only learned how to do anything because I bought that Bobbi Brown book so I at least had an idea of what I  was doing. There was a lot of guesswork involved, since I didn't have access to the internet until college (yay dialup!), but I think I finally figured things out. 

She still isn't really into beauty stuff. She only has one smallish bag of makeup, and she's the type of person who will use something until it's finished, then buy a new product. I really wish she did teach me more about makeup, not because I think women need to wear it, but because I know I did some crazy/unpretty stuff with makeup, and I think it would have helped to have had someone actually show me what to do.

Absolutely nothing. She never wore it. To this day, she keeps telling me to get a real job.

My mom wasn't into makeup either.  She wore Covergirl foundation that she caked on, blush streaked on her cheeks and then she put a dab of blush on the end of her nose - she has what we always called the "ski jump nose", as she has a straight line until the very end of her nose where it turns up. She thought that blush on the end of her nose hid that, haha.  She was allergic to mascara so she never wore it and always wore the wrong shade of lipstick - she still does.  She uses body soap to wash her face, refuses to wash it at night and complains about still having acne in her 60's.  I've bought her countless skin care items and she says it's too big of a pain to use them and throws them away after 3 times.  I've given up.  Everything I know has been self taught, mostly through trail and error as I didn't realize that youtube beauty videos existed until about 6 months ago.  I've followed Paula Begoun for a few years as I have had pretty good luck following her advice, but that's only for skin care.  I prefer to play more with makeup.  I've finally perfected the smoky eye and I'm very happy with it, lol.

I started wearing make up only recently. I've never had acne, but started getting the occasional break out once I got to college, never too bad, just time of the month break outs. When I was in HS my skin was flawless, I would just wear eyeliner and maybe lip gloss and not even all the time. My mom thought me nothing, but I would steal her liner, though eventually I got my own. She wears makeup, but doesn't really know all that much about it. I got into it a lot lately so I will teach her what I know :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> My mom has good skin, her only problem is hyperpigmentation that she got after having me, so the bf's mom bought her bm's Bisque :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> so nice of her :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> If I have kids and they show an interest in makeup, I'll teach em what I know :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

my mom only wears a little bit of eyeliner and mascara, if anything at all--and her eyes are kinda shaped differently than mine anyway. I learned 100% of what I know from youtube and experimenting around :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by vogueboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely nothing. She never wore it. To this day, she keeps telling me to get a real job.
frown.gif
 Moms, what can we do with them? 

Originally Posted by Wida /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My mom wasn't into makeup either.  She wore Covergirl foundation that she caked on, blush streaked on her cheeks and then she put a dab of blush on the end of her nose - she has what we always called the "ski jump nose", as she has a straight line until the very end of her nose where it turns up. She thought that blush on the end of her nose hid that, haha.  She was allergic to mascara so she never wore it and always wore the wrong shade of lipstick - she still does.  She uses body soap to wash her face, refuses to wash it at night and complains about still having acne in her 60's.  I've bought her countless skin care items and she says it's too big of a pain to use them and throws them away after 3 times.  I've given up.  Everything I know has been self taught, mostly through trail and error as I didn't realize that youtube beauty videos existed until about 6 months ago.  I've followed Paula Begoun for a few years as I have had pretty good luck following her advice, but that's only for skin care.  I prefer to play more with makeup.  I've finally perfected the smoky eye and I'm very happy with it, lol.
My mom is very stubborn and stuck in her own ways as well.  I guess we can all be that way at times though.  She for the life of her won't use a damn eye primer! lol.  I told her a million times this will change her eye makeup.  She overdoes it on the eyes majorly, lining like CRAZY top and bottom but it wears away unevenly because she doesn't believe in primer.  She barely even looks at herself when she applies makeup.  She takes a  free sample lipstick from Macys and applies it in 2 seconds, and brushes on her eyeliner as if using a colored pencil.

Ugh, I have so many gripes with her 
icon_lol.gif

Back