MissLindaJean

Indie Polish Lovers

While I love the big and little mainstream brands, I'm interested in branching out. I know we have some fierce polish lovers and would love some recommendations and thoughts on indie polish companies. :D

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean View Post

While I love the big and little mainstream brands, I'm interested in branching out. I know we have some fierce polish lovers and would love some recommendations and thoughts on indie polish companies. biggrin.gif

I have a couple from KB Shimmer and they are GORGEOUS! :D easy to apply, they don't dry too fast, but they wear well :) 

I will never buy Lynderella. After reading all those ridiculous stories and her outrageous prices, I'll pass and give my money to someone who isn't scamming consumers.

Some of my personal favorites are:

Chaos and Crocodiles

KB Shimmer

Lush Lacquer

Glimmer by Erica

Shimmer Polish

• Like 1

Oh, MissLindaJean, your wallet is going to cry. I literally am obsessive/compulsive, so bear with me here:

For glitters, I love Hit Polish. Colores de Carol is a newer one with a variety; she's not on Etsy, though, I think she's on bigcartel. Neener Neener Nails has fun stuff and often has great sales. (See my blog for my favorite by them.) I haven't tried them yet, but I lust for Jindie Nails, Nerdlacquer, KBShimmer. Jade is apparently great for holographic polish. 

In addition to Etsy, you might want to check out Ninja Polish and Llarowe for online shops. There's also Overall Beauty, Mei Mei's Signatures, Shoppe Eclecticco. The big advantage to those is that you can order several different brands, but only pay shipping once. On Etsy, you have to pay shipping per store.

Oh, I love everything I've seen by Emily de Molly; her stuff is available to the U.S. on Llarowe. I only have one of hers: Regal Beginnings. Femme Fatale and Gloss 'n' Sparkle are really pretty on Llarowe, too.

Whimsical Ideas by Pam has gorgeous stuff; you can see what's available on her Facebook page, and order through her e-mail, and then she invoices you, I think through PayPal. 

If you have a lot of polish, I love that you can by mini bottles from most of the indies. (I don't know about you, but the odds of me using up a full size bottle are pretty slim.) And, then of course, that means you can afford to try more polishes. 

Believe it or not, that was my short list. 

• Like 1

Also, Hare Polish and Smitten Polish! Both are available from shop.llarowe.com. I haven't tried them personally, just drooled over lots of photos.

I will never buy Lynderella. After reading all those ridiculous stories and her outrageous prices, I'll pass and give my money to someone who isn't scamming consumers.

What stories? O.O 

Having family members drive up bids for sales, not to mention her starting prices are silly. There are enough indie companies that are affordable and don't have silly stories, rumors and gossip surrounding them. There is a thread around here somewhere about it. . Can't post the link from my phone. .argh.

I don't know if you consider this to be indie, but one of my absolute favorite companies is a-england. Ninja Polish in the US sells it, but they also have their own site you can order from directly (they're in England, but my orders tend to get here in under two weeks). The holos are *gorgeous*. I need to scrape up some money and get some of the non-Arthurian stuff.

Having family members drive up bids for sales, not to mention her starting prices are silly. There are enough indie companies that are affordable and don't have silly stories, rumors and gossip surrounding them. There is a thread around here somewhere about it. . Can't post the link from my phone. .argh.

Don't worry I know how to use the search option and found the thread and omg wow O.O crazy stuff :S

Originally Posted by meaganola View Post

I don't know if you consider this to be indie, but one of my absolute favorite companies is a-england. Ninja Polish in the US sells it, but they also have their own site you can order from directly (they're in England, but my orders tend to get here in under two weeks). The holos are *gorgeous*. I need to scrape up some money and get some of the non-Arthurian stuff.

A-England has gorgeous polish. I read that they can't ship direct from England anymore because of new postal laws there.

A-England has gorgeous polish. I read that they can't ship direct from England anymore because of new postal laws there.
Lame! Lol, I have heard if that company. ..soo many gorgeous colors and companies, but I don't have enough fingers and toes!

The only indie polish I've tried is 365 days of color I got the Valentines day mystery bag and just ordered the Easter mystery bags. Her polishes are beautiful and Sunny is really nice.

I am an indie polish addict, I hardly ever buy "mainstream" polish anymore.  My most recent purchases were Girly Bits Eggnogoholic, Candeo Joker, Candeo Snowbird, Darling Diva Destiny, Darling Diva Oh No She Didn't, Pretty & Polishes Space Camp, Smitten I Want It Now....whew!!  Wallet needs to take a rest for a while!

My absolute favorites are Whimsical Polish by Pam and D&R Apothecary (on Etsy).  I would buy every single polish Pam makes if I had the chance.  She is a really sweet lady as well!  The D&R polishes are beautiful and I just love the combinations she uses for glitters.  This is another one that I would buy every single one if I had a chance.  This is a D&R polish "Painted Desert" with Deborah Lippman Nude.  

I guess indie means different things to different people but if I like the polish I'll buy it. I think most people view an "indie" polish as still being handmade/mixed by the seller & that person doing most of the promoting, bottling, shipping & etc. The newest term "boutique" is sorta be used to describe makers that still "create" the name/color but is maybe mixed/manufactured by a lab (example Cult Nails).

Some of my indie faves are Cult Nails ( I love Maria), Elixir Lacquers (a hometown GA girl), Nerd Lacquer (some drama was associated with her but I think she's well back on her way. If her most recent sales are any indication Amanda will be just fine). Different Dimension, Glitzology, Candeo Colors and just recently I've fallen in love with Femme Fatale but they are only available through a US Stockist unless you live or know someone in Australia.

I was one of those people that thought anyone that bought Lynns was CRAZY but I have over 600 bottles of polish so who am I to talk...or judge. Curiosity got the best of me & I was lucky enough to find a BN Lynn for about $15. I got it & not in love with it (it's not a glitter bomb). Lynn wouldn't be able to have the following & the customers she does unless people were buying it. It hasn't been a one time collection or a sale she's having (does she even have sales?) but people like the products AND the service she provides. More power to her I guess.

If you want swatches of some of the companies I've listed let me know...otherwise "Happy Shopping!"

Originally Posted by LyndaV View Post

I am an indie polish addict, I hardly ever buy "mainstream" polish anymore.  My most recent purchases were Girly Bits Eggnogoholic, Candeo Joker, Candeo Snowbird, Darling Diva Destiny, Darling Diva Oh No She Didn't, Pretty & Polishes Space Camp, Smitten I Want It Now....whew!!  Wallet needs to take a rest for a while!

My absolute favorites are Whimsical Polish by Pam and D&R Apothecary (on Etsy).  I would buy every single polish Pam makes if I had the chance.  She is a really sweet lady as well!  The D&R polishes are beautiful and I just love the combinations she uses for glitters.  This is another one that I would buy every single one if I had a chance.  This is a D&R polish "Painted Desert" with Deborah Lippman Nude.  

OMG Candeo Snowbird Is AMAZING!and Darling Diva Destiny OMG and Smitten I Want It Now

So cool! I would have never thought to even try out a lesser known brand. I stay pretty brand loyal (just because quality is fairly hard to come by with nail polish). Always good to get word-of-mouth product reviews! Thanks for the recommendations ladies, I am going to try out Colores de Carol - very, very pretty. 

Originally Posted by DivyFace View Post

So cool! I would have never thought to even try out a lesser known brand. I stay pretty brand loyal (just because quality is fairly hard to come by with nail polish). Always good to get word-of-mouth product reviews! Thanks for the recommendations ladies, I am going to try out Colores de Carol - very, very pretty. 

She's a really nice lady. I haven't tried the polish yet, but I have two by her.

Originally Posted by LyndaV View Post

1000;

I finally got my first Whimsical Ideas by Pam--'Seuss'. I found it on a blog sale (I've found most of my indies on blog sales; a little risky, but much more wallet-friendly). It's so beautiful in the bottle; I haven't tried it on yet. D&R Apothecary (aka Hit Polish) definitely makes awesome sauce glitter toppers. I almost bought 'Painted Desert', but opted for 'Patina' instead. I've got a few pics on my blog of Hit Polish (not the best photos, but you'll get the idea). I think I have more of Hit Polish than of any other single indie company.

Originally Posted by sleepykat View Post

I finally got my first Whimsical Ideas by Pam--'Seuss'. I found it on a blog sale (I've found most of my indies on blog sales; a little risky, but much more wallet-friendly). It's so beautiful in the bottle; I haven't tried it on yet. D&R Apothecary (aka Hit Polish) definitely makes awesome sauce glitter toppers. I almost bought 'Painted Desert', but opted for 'Patina' instead. I've got a few pics on my blog of Hit Polish (not the best photos, but you'll get the idea). I think I have more of Hit Polish than of any other single indie company.

I don't  know how you guys find these amazing blog sales lol

I don't  know how you guys find these amazing blog sales lol
It started out simply and escalated: I follow a lot of nail blogs and they usually have a blog sale page. Then, one day I vowed destruction upon my wallet by Googling "nail polish blog sale". Somewhere along the way I stumbled onto polishsale.livejournal.com. These are mostly polishes that they have just swatched once for their blog. Like I said, kind of risky, but it's been worthwhile for me. (I recommend insisting on a PayPal invoice instead of a "gift" option, even if you have to pay a tiny fee. That way you can pursue a refund if the seller is shady.) I've only had good experiences, but buy at your own risk, similar to trading.

Has anybody bought from polish addict?she's having a sale and I want some but not sure of quality. :-/
I haven't used this brand before, but I highly recommend searching "Polish Addict reviews" in your search engine. The nail blogging community is typically awesome about providing swatches and reviews of indies. I know the blog Crystal's Crazy Combos has quite a few posts about this brand.