Something I tend to notice looking at wedding dresses...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Call it old fashioned or whatever, but from time to time, I just love looking at these dresses, and every time I do, one thing catches me. I hardly ever see dresses with sleeves anymore. You see strapless gowns, and gowns with straps, but I rarely see short sleeve, puffy sleeve, or even more rarely, long sleeve wedding dresses anymore. It's actually got to the point that when I DO window shop online and such, I look and see if I ever see any with sleeves of any kind, and while I may once in a while, it's pretty rare.

Personally, I do kind of liked the sleeved ones. Adds more to the "princessy" feel in my opinion. What do you all say?

Is it really old fashioned to think that there should still be more sleeved ones?

Would you rather have your dress strapless, with straps, or with sleeves?

When looking at wedding dresses, do you notice many sleeved dresses?

Lastly, what is your thoughts overall in general about the sleeved dresses?

Yukiko , Me I prefer strapless dresses :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> but I think this trend will come - Kate Middleton has set it - now designers only need some time to create a lot of dresses with sleeves, I am sure there will be a lot of models like that in a year, don't worry :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

working with bridal gowns and brides, I did get the sleeve question a lot. It does seem that most gowns are strapless, but I still see plenty of dresses which offer more coverage.

At my shop, we offer puffy sleeves which can be tied onto the corset (which definitely makes it look like a princess gown!) or a simple wrap (solid satin/or lace) top to go under which can hide or show as much as you like while providing sleeves (long or short). In my experience, many larger brides prefer to cover part of their arms. (even though they don't need to!)

A lot of women seem to like strapless though, as the "princess" look just isn't as "in" as it was once upon a time. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Something that I've noticed about strapless gowns is that they hardly ever seem to fit properly and they're unflattering on a lot of brides. My gown wasn't strapless, but it was sleeveless. I think sleeveless is a bit inappropriate for church, but I'm always too warm and there was no way I was going to spend the entire day in a gown with sleeves.

Quote: Originally Posted by feemia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Something that I've noticed about strapless gowns is that they hardly ever seem to fit properly and they're unflattering on a lot of brides.

My gown wasn't strapless, but it was sleeveless. I think sleeveless is a bit inappropriate for church, but I'm always too warm and there was no way I was going to spend the entire day in a gown with sleeves.
This and not just on larger women like me. When we went shopping/looking for my friend (a tiny thing) they never looked right and I swear that thing made fat rolls in her arm area. The woman doesn't have an ounce extra on her and there she was with creases... weirdest thing.

Quote: Originally Posted by Yukiko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Call it old fashioned or whatever, but from time to time, I just love looking at these dresses, and every time I do, one thing catches me. I hardly ever see dresses with sleeves anymore. You see strapless gowns, and gowns with straps, but I rarely see short sleeve, puffy sleeve, or even more rarely, long sleeve wedding dresses anymore. It's actually got to the point that when I DO window shop online and such, I look and see if I ever see any with sleeves of any kind, and while I may once in a while, it's pretty rare.

Personally, I do kind of liked the sleeved ones. Adds more to the "princessy" feel in my opinion. What do you all say?

Is it really old fashioned to think that there should still be more sleeved ones?

Would you rather have your dress strapless, with straps, or with sleeves?

When looking at wedding dresses, do you notice many sleeved dresses?

Lastly, what is your thoughts overall in general about the sleeved dresses?

I eloped, but had mini sleeves/thick straps on my dress. I still wore a strapless bra, as the straps/sleeves (the seeamstress said they were mini sleeves, so whatever) were lace and it had a key hole back. I liked the look of it and also felt a litle more secure. I was concerned if I went strapless I would spend the day trying to hoist my dress up or make sure it was not showing my bra. My dress was so comfortable; I wore it for something like 18 hours. 

All that said, I adore the look of sleeves on dresses. I get that strapless is popular, but I love sleeved dresses or even ones with straps! I do not like my arms, and have some scarring on one arm (due to PICC lines, FWIW) that I am very self conscious of. I pondered having sheer sleeves made, had I gone strapless. 

Back