Primer suggestions needed

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey ladies --

I have recently found my HG foundation (Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24H), but unfortunately, I don't have a very good primer to use with it. I have a couple of primers that I have used previously, but they don't work very well with this foundation, and I honestly feel like I'm better off without them than with them with it. (For reference, I have the Boots No7 PhotoFix primer which is my favorite, and then a couple other ones, though the only one of them I ever use is the Revlon Photoready one).

I have combination, sensitive, and sort of acne-prone skin. My nose, like many others out there is the greasiest part of my face, and gets shiny after a couple hours which is not at all attractive!

So, any suggestions?

Thanks!!

The Lancome La Base Pro primer is very very nice.  It's a silicone primer that makes the face feel so lovely and even and smooth.  I wear this during the winter- I have combination skin also- and I feel like it mattifies well.  I don't have to blot/touch up until very late in the afternoon.  This will pair very nicely with the Lancome foundation. 

As far as mattifying primers when I feel like I need more oil control, I really like Benefit Porefessional.  The only skin issue I feel that is my "problem area" is large pores & this does a fantastic job of "blurring" them- filling them in & giving a good evenness to my skin so I an wear lighter coverage foundations/TM that I prefer.  Clarins Instant Touch Base has a similar effect, but is not as mattifying.

At times when my skin is very oily/ in the summer, I like the Korres Pomegranate Mattifying Treatment. This is like a serum/primer oil-control treatment. People seem to either love or hate this so I would suggest getting a sample from Sephora to try it out first & make sure it plays well with your foundation & moisturizer. I use the Korres Pomegranate Gel Moisturizer & the two together really help keep the oil at bay so I can do fewer touch ups & my makeup wears longer on the days when my skin is at it's oiliest.  

Nurturing Force Blot Out is an amazing product that very few people seem to be aware of. It can be applied under foundation as a base & patted over foundation for very oil areas. It totally disappears & doesn't disturb your foundation application. It also makes pores appear much less obvious & extends the wear of foundation. It's also 100% silicone-free, one of the rare primers that is. It has an aloe vera base & feels like a very light, water-based gel with zero fragrance. I heard about it from a makeup artist who does a lot of work on live performers/musicians who tend to sweat a lot & who get oily while being active on stage. It's about $25 and can be bought online at Camera Ready Cosmetics or Paints & Powders.

I absolutely love Elizabeth Arden's Visible Difference Primer, however; Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Skin Primer gives it a run for it's money.

Back