Interview for the makeup counter at Macy's - I need you guys.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know this sounds superbly silly, but I need some help - here's the situation.

Freelance work has slowed down in my area because of the economy, and I need to have more of a steady income, at least until this slump is over. Paying rent is totally underrated as one of the most awesome things to do.  

Macy's posted that they're looking for beauty advisors because they're expanding their makeup counters. I'm under the understanding that what they intend on doing is hiring and training a few people, and then selecting out of that group who will be part time, who will be full time, and who will be prepared for higher up positions. If I get in, even at part time, I know I'd work my way up rather easily.

Friday afternoon, I applied online, and Monday afternoon, they emailed me back about setting up an interview. I know it's a very good sign that they got back with me the next business day. I actually submitted a condensed version of my makeup artist resume along with their online application and I'm positive that's why I heard back from them so fast. 

Here's the thing - I've only worked in retail for a total of 3 months of my entire life. When I was sixteen years old. And I've never even bought makeup from a Macy's store, because the one local to me normally only sells (but I guess not for much longer) the higher end brands that I don't typically use. Also, this will be my second job interview ever in my life, and the first in my adult life.

I know how to present myself and stuff. Cover my visible tattoos and remove my visible piercings, etc. Dress nice but not TOO nice. Wear makeup that's beautiful and impressive without being dramatic or distracting. No perfume, just smell clean. Carry a pen and something to take notes with, etc. All that universal, common sense stuff I have down and I'm not worried about. 

It's the talking part I'm worried about. 

I'm afraid I'm going to either seem overqualified, or confused. I don't know which is worse!

I don't know what I'll specifically be doing other than being what they call a "beauty advisor" - so I could be working for any counter, for any brand. Makeup or skincare. I'm thinking they'll be more apt to hire me for makeup because it's clear where my level of expertise lies. 

Has anyone had an interview for Macy's or been hired by Macy's for beauty? What was it like? How did it go? Can you give me any pointers about it? I know that mentioning that I'm one of the users with the most "thank you" points on Specktra probably won't help, so what do you think they wanna hear?

My sister's friend was "spotted" at Macy's. Someone pretty much just went up to her and was like I want you to interview. She did not have any freelance experience/MUA training - she just did it for fun but had a lot of Service industry experience. From what I gathered, they asked her basic interview questions like - how do you deal with a frustrating team member? Can you demonstrate when you provided excellent service? Which of our brands are you most familiar with? What if a client is really into a certain product but you know it really does not look good on her? Can you explain how you dealt with a difficult person or situation? What if it is a busy day and your assistance is needed by multiple customers - like a full make over request, color match request, tutorial request, and skin care request - how and why would you prioritize these customers? Stuff like that. I do believe she had 2-3 rounds of interviews. The interview was for a beauty assistant position and based on the interview they then decide which brand you would be best suited for. She was offered a position with Clinique. Hope that helps!

Yes, thanks. That has definitely given me a little bit more of an idea of what to expect. This wouldn't be so intimidating and frustrating if I'd actually shopped at a Macy's counter before. Haha.

Do you have time to go to *a* Macy's and creep around the counters a bit just to see what they're like? That might be helpful

I worked as macy's, not in cosmetics, but the interview is the same or very similar for everyone. Be sure to have STAR responses ready, thats where you explain the situation, explain the task, describe the action you took, and the result. I think they even tell you that is what they are looking for. They will let you use examples from any part of your life, so your experience as a make up artist will be fine. You'll probably be asked about team work, so perhaps you've done some jobs where you worked alongside a hair stylist, wardrobe, etc. You'll also probably be asked about time management, prioritizing, etc, which you should have good examples ready to go. Also make sure you have an example of a client who was angry that you were able to calm down and fix the situation. Good luck!

Macy's big thing is customer service so if you really pound on the fact that the customer's happiness and ease of shopping comes first, they'll love you. Also they really like when someone upsells, so make sure you mention how good you are at doing things along the lines of "oh i love this lipstick you are buying, you know this blush would go perfect with it?" 

Thanks guys! 
And unfortunately I don't have time to go to a different Macy's and look around. The next closest one to me is almost an hour a way and I don't have any reason to go out that far. I kind of live in a really small, uneventful town.

Originally Posted by Airi Magdalene /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks guys! 

And unfortunately I don't have time to go to a different Macy's and look around. The next closest one to me is almost an hour a way and I don't have any reason to go out that far. I kind of live in a really small, uneventful town.
You could just browse the brands at their website. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I was totally worried about nothing. I got hired no problem. Thanks, guys!
Congrats!!

I was totally worried about nothing. I got hired no problem. Thanks, guys!
Yay!! Congratulations! You'll be a great beauty advisor for sure!

Back