I was wondering...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by BusyBeauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are you more likely to buy a beauty product if a friend recommends it?

What about if someone who don't know does in a forum like this?

Have a great Sunday everyone!

-BusyBeauty
heart.gif
I personally would trust someone's opinion here more than a friend's because well they don't know anything lol 

I would trust a forum more just because you get to see a wide range of opinions from people who dont sugar coat things for you. I think you can be more open about how you really feel and you get a more honest opinion than a popular opinion.

I think a majority of us are going to be biased and say use the forum. Obviously that's what works for most of us, which is why we frequent makeuptalk in the first place. I'd say get opinions on beauty products/ treatments/ procedures form anyone willing to give it who doesn't have a vested interest in the product. You can never get too much information and knowing all the pros and cons before shelling out money will only benefit you in the long run. Knowledge is power in the hands of a consumer.

I love reading online reviews on anything I want to buy! I don't really have friends or family members who are into beauty products like I am (or even close), so I have to get on forums like this or check out beauty blogs to see the opinions of ladies like me, who buy and try EVERYTHING.

I live on forums. I have forums for every kind of interest I have, and I post for opinions and recommendations in each and try to learn from people there what works best, how to fix this, how to alter that...etc. Obviously, I have this one for makeup. I have other ones I go to for costumes, ones for lifestyles, ones for local events, ones for idle chatter, and so on.

I go to these places because I have no one IRL I can talk to about anything, since:

A - No common interest or

B - Not enough knowledge in said interest.

I am usually the most knowledgeable of all of my friends with things we all get into. I learn my surroundings. I learn through experience... and to get that experience, I find people online the best to help me experience these things. So much I would never have known if I wasn't such a forum junkie.

As most of my friends are Pro MUA's, I trust their recs more. On forums, It's more of what launches are trending more, or popular that influences my decision.

For me it's a combinations of things.

Some products I've tried came on the recommendation of professional (as in working in the industry) like Vogueboy, David from OCC, Koren, etc. Some from the members here or on another site I frequent. Sometimes I try a product on behalf of the members here and give them my thoughts on the products. If I'm going to buy something strictly for myself, not to talk about, not to review but for myself then I buy based on if I like the scent/color, the brand or used something similar in the past.

To me forums such as MUT are better than friends to get information on a product because you're going to hear from multiple people rather than just one or two and from there you're able to form an opinion on if you want to try something or not.

I do use both, but I tend to do a lot more research online. Among my friends I am the most into makeup and they usually ask me for my opinion. But if they have something thats working for them, I want to hear all about it. Before I purchase any product, I research it thoroughly online and on message boards. I hate wasting money!

Originally Posted by SistaPlease /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I do use both, but I tend to do a lot more research online. Among my friends I am the most into makeup and they usually ask me for my opinion. But if they have something thats working for them, I want to hear all about it. Before I purchase any product, I research it thoroughly online and on message boards. I hate wasting money!
Exactly, same here, I read reviews, watch YT vids and make sure people say it's good and it's worth it. I don't just go out and buy things randomly (except nail polish)

Back