• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to MakeUp Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Makeup Brushes Needed-Newbie that needs help figuring out what to use?!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Everyone! I am new to MUT and to using a lot of makeup period. I found MUT after subbing to Birchbox...and then finding more Subscription boxes, and reading awesome blogs...which reviewed even more boxes..and then found this and am HOOKED! I also got an Ulta like 200 yards from my apartment like a month, and have a sephora at the local mall. :) 

I really want to get some makeup brushes because I have various types of makeup that I have gotten through (10 DIFFERENT SUBS! Sigh) various things and I have one brush (a crease brush from an Ipsy bag) and I love using it for my eyeshadow, but I know other brushes could help with various things. I am curious what each brush is REALLY useful for, what brushes people use daily, love, rarely use, etc. AND what brands to get.. That was a ramble so basically my questions are

What is your go to brush?

What brushes do you actually USE daily? (Type) 

What Brand Brushes do you tend to buy? Why? ( do they last longer, work better, etc) 

What brands of brushes should I stay away from (bad experiences etc) 

What is too much to spend? Whats not enough? Etc?

Please share anything else you think would help! Thank you! 

Hi and welcome to MUT! I love using Teddy Bear Hair brushes by Too Faced - they are sold in a 5-piece kit which is really handy and the brushes are synthetic. Really easy to clean as well! Good luck! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Powder Brush - I alternate this one with another powder brush I like.

Fluff Brush - I use daily (mostly for crease blending, sometimes for highlighting)

Angled Eye Shadow Brush - I use daily (mostly for lid color)

Angled Liner/Brow Brush - I use for eyeliner work, or for filling in eyebrows.

Small Crease Brush - I use daily (to pat on color in a concentrate area)

http://www.sephora.com/teddy-bear-hair-professional-brush-set-P48515

My go to brush that I use almost every single day is the Sigma F80 brush. It is a flat topped brush that I use for foundations and bb creams (there are some people who prefer to blend BB creams with their fingers, but this brush works best for me). I also have a brush by Tarte called the Buffy Bamboo Powder brush that I also use daily with powder. Both of these brushes are incredibly soft and work very well. I would recommend both. In general I have several sigma brushes that I like and would recommend the brand as a whole for their brushes.

Hi! I just wanted to reccommend the ecotools buses to you. They're really good quality, they're soft, and they can be bought at drugstores for pretty reasonable prices. You can buy a small Kit for about $13. Check ten out; I love them and have almost all of them. Hope I helped!

If your looking for amazing, high quality makeup brushes that are most often used my us makeup artists I would checkout crownbrush.com they sell the cheapest(in price, not quality) brushes and have everything you would ever dream of owning!!! They also sell professional makeup palettes if your also looking to start a collection. Trust me you won't be disappointed!!! Crown Brush!

I ONLY use ECOTOOLS brushes they are so soft and help my makeup go on even. Iv tried ELF brushes but  dont like them they are rally stiff and make my makeup look thick.

Back