How Old is too old for Glitter

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I was just wondering which of you ladies still wear glitter makeup or nail polish and at what age (if any) you think it becomes inappropriate. I'm 27 and was rocking some purple glitter eyeliner yesterday, an a coworker asked me if I didn't think I was getting a little too old for that.

I don't think I am-- but am I?

(Adding insult to injury, yesterday, at the age of 27, was the FIRST time I actually succeeded in putting on eyeliner, no joke).

I don't think anyone is too old for either of those!

I mean, if you're not dressed like you're trying to be a teenager, I don't see a problem with it.

But even if you do dress that way, who cares! Rock what you like. =]

Some people have very narrow definitions of what is "age appropriate", which is what your co worker sounds like.

I agree a little glitter is not going to hurt anyone. Its not like you took it to the Kesha extreme. Personally I still love glitter and I don't care how old I get there is nothing wrong with changing up your makeup with a bit of glitter.

Your coworker is boring and wrong. I rock glitter regularly, and I'm 25. I don't wear it to the office though, there I try to stick with shimmers. But forget that, if you like it, and this person wasn't HR or your boss, who cares! 

I'm 41. I work for (although not actually *in*) a bank. The only thing that stops me from wearing glitter polish every single day is that it's a bit of a pain to remove. I don't wear glittery liquid liner, but i don't wear liquid liner, period. Sparkly pencil and loose pigments? my mainstays. In fact, I just ordered a bunch of them from Starlooks and Glamour Doll Eyes. You can have my sparkles, shimmers, and glitters just as soon as I'm cremated. But mix some in with my ashes before you spread them on the Oregon coast, please.

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm 41. I work for (although not actually *in*) a bank. The only thing that stops me from wearing glitter polish every single day is that it's a bit of a pain to remove. I don't wear glittery liquid liner, but i don't wear liquid liner, period. Sparkly pencil and loose pigments? my mainstays. In fact, I just ordered a bunch of them from Starlooks and Glamour Doll Eyes. You can have my sparkles, shimmers, and glitters just as soon as I'm cremated. But mix some in with my ashes before you spread them on the Oregon coast, please.
Love this attitude. I work at an accounting firm and they don't mention my nail polish, but if I wore glitter on my face I'd be asked not to wear it again. 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Your coworker is boring and wrong. I rock glitter regularly, and I'm 25. I don't wear it to the office though, there I try to stick with shimmers. But forget that, if you like it, and this person wasn't HR or your boss, who cares! 
Yeah, my boss doesn't care as long as we look 'professional enough' (meaning glitter lipstick would prob. be out but glitter eyeliner, nailpolish, etc seem to fly- my supervisor wears glitter nailpolish nearly every day and very mild glitter eyeshadow occasionally- maybe 2-3 times a month).

Thanks for the input I feel better now.

I don't think you're ever too old as long as you pull it off tastefully. I mean, you don't want to look like this:

be mindful of your work atmosphere though. as long as your boss is lenient go for it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

Originally Posted by americanclassic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't think you're ever too old as long as you pull it off tastefully. I mean, you don't want to look like this:

be mindful of your work atmosphere though. as long as your boss is lenient go for it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.
I actually was wearing no other makeup whatsoever so I'm pretty sure I didn't look like that :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by tulosai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So I was just wondering which of you ladies still wear glitter makeup or nail polish and at what age (if any) you think it becomes inappropriate. I'm 27 and was rocking some purple glitter eyeliner yesterday, an a coworker asked me if I didn't think I was getting a little too old for that.

I don't think I am-- but am I?

(Adding insult to injury, yesterday, at the age of 27, was the FIRST time I actually succeeded in putting on eyeliner, no joke).
Depends on how the glitter was applied and where you're wearing it. For example was the rest of your makeup understated and/or matte? I'm 38 and I wear glitter (LIT Glitter) as eyeliner but when I do I tend to have a nude eye and a muted lip so the focal point is the liner. At 27 you're still young enough to wear glitter unless you're working in a business that requires a strictly professional look (court/doctor/dentist/ect).

My mom recently asked the sephora people if she was too old for glitter, and they said no. They told her that was an outdated rule. I think I was the one who had told my mom you're supposed to avoid glitter after a certain age. I had heard it somewhere, but I was wrong!

Originally Posted by Hellocat4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My mom recently asked the sephora people if she was too old for glitter, and they said no. They told her that was an outdated rule. I think I was the one who had told my mom you're supposed to avoid glitter after a certain age. I had heard it somewhere, but I was wrong!
My mom doesn't wear anything shimmery or glittery, but that is because she is convinced it sets in and accentuates her wrinkles. I think she just needs a good primer!

I am 28 and I think glitter is totally fine. I actually want to try some glitter eyeliners and I have several glitter (as in smaller glitter, not the chunky glitter) nail polishes. And one of these days I might try one of the chunky glitter ones too.

I do not wear a lot of glitter now for two reasons: 1) The fallout bugs me, I feel like it makes me look like I have bad circles under my eyes, and I do not like having to check my make-up a lot. 2) I look young and my friends already good-naturedly tease me about looking 12 or 16, and my fiance is quite a bit older than me, so I try not to look "too" young. I think if I did glitter right neither of these things would be an issue, but that is why I have not played with it too much so far.

But, really, I think glitter is fine at any age. What matters is what you like and what looks good on you ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My mom is close to 50 and still wears shimmery eye shadows (from me lol) but she keeps it nude so it doesnt really draw attention, honestly if you dont go overboard no one is ever old for glitter. Im only 19 and I love shimmery/glitter stuff and I will continue to wear it until I feel like stopping (which might be never) :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I wear glitter on my nails, but that's about it because it's my personal style. Shimmer elsewhere? Oh yeah, bring it on! But glitter? I usually avoid it on my face. However, it's not that I think I'm too old for it, I just prefer other styles and looks. I think as long as its used in moderation, glitter can be fine at any age!

I'll be wearing glitter when I'm 80! You're never too old, but as others have said just be aware of the corporate culture and dress code. I think a little glitter eyeliner is fine but wouldn't wear a dramatic smokey eye or something to work. I think your coworker was just being snide.

Latest posts

Back