Julep Sea Salt Mystery Boxes/ Polish

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Did anyone else get a Julep Sea Salt mystery box? I got mine last week and received Madeline (pale pink) as my sea salt color. I've never worn textured nail polish before so I had no idea what to expect.

Here's how it looks (2 coats):

(Please forgive my horrendous cuticles, the weather has been crazy here and my skin is freaking out.)

I'm on the fence. I like the color (its a little more pink in real life), but I'm just not sure how I feel about the texture. I don't hate it, but one of my friends on IG said that it looks like wall spackle and I have to agree. :/ I'd love to see pictures of other people wearing this polish- especially in the different colors!

Thanks for the awesome swatch of Madeline -- Jill (which I received) is more grey than I expected (Julep said smoked beige but it was much more grey. It's a solid neutral.

my swatch (for color of Jill but the texture is similar to Madeline (maybe thinner coats would make it look less spackle-y (or more even))

my swatch was 2 thin coats. It lasted longer on me than the November 2012 Suedes but I got bored after 3-4 days so I changed it. 

Wow that does look pretty grey! I thought it would be a lot more tan. I still like the color though. I really liked all the colors of the sea salt collection and if I was more into this textured polish look I'd try to buy them all. I just feel like this looks like I've unintentionally bumped my nails up against something or that the formula was really bubbly or something.

there's a swatch of Sadie somewhere in the Julep April forum and yeah it looks much more like the color of the promo picture for the box than what I think of when I hear smoked beige -- 

I got Jill in my box and to me it looks exactly like sidewalk cement. Not sure if that is something that I would want on my nails. I probably would have liked it if had a little sparkle in it.

Yeah I had been hoping Madeline would have had a little sparkle in it as well. I think that'd have made it a little more keeping with the "salt" name.

Yikes.

I'm glad I skipped out on that box. I was not expecting the texture to be like that AT ALL. From the email swatches, I thought it was like a regular polish with bits of texture on it, almost like glitter, except...not glittery, just "sand" like?

I would have totally been disappointed.

Also, my boyfriend would absolutely and totally HATE that nail polish. He hates glittery things and feels a compulsion to touch it even though it gives him shivers because of the texture being gross feeling to him. So he'd probably feel the compulsion to touch my nails and cringe away from holding hands.

I can get away with glitter polish if I put a top coat on it so that it's not rough feeling, but I don't think that would work so great with that kind of a polish.

after seeing the swatches i'm glad i didn't order one. it seems like the zoya pixie dusts translate a lot better than these do.

I got Sadie in my Sea Salt package and tried it today. I really like the look of it, it's quite sparkly. One thing I did find is that the brush gets gummed up very quickly, so it ended up on my cuticles on the second coat. I'll definitely be buying some nail polish thinner before the next time I wear it. I ended up putting Sally Hansen diamond top coat over it after I took this picture, which made the black more vibrant. The polish on my skin is much more visible in the picture than in real life. Overall, I'm pleased with it. This was my first experience with Julep. It arrived before my starter box did!

Originally Posted by sherbert /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got Sadie in my Sea Salt package and tried it today. I really like the look of it, it's quite sparkly. One thing I did find is that the brush gets gummed up very quickly, so it ended up on my cuticles on the second coat. I'll definitely be buying some nail polish thinner before the next time I wear it. I ended up putting Sally Hansen diamond top coat over it after I took this picture, which made the black more vibrant. The polish on my skin is much more visible in the picture than in real life. Overall, I'm pleased with it. This was my first experience with Julep. It arrived before my starter box did!

That's really pretty!

Thanks! I like it too :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Another thing I thought of this morning was that the box was supposed to add up to $200 worth of items, right? I didn't get anywhere near that amount. 

I received 7 polishes, so initially I thought that was pretty good, but then I remembered that Lucky, Petra and Alma were add-ons, which means I only got 4 in the box. My extras were a Pomegranate body creme, a nail file, and a toe separator. I checked the Julep site for the full retail prices. The nail file isn't exactly the same, and I wasn't able to find the toe separator individually, but it couldn't sell for more than a buck, if that.

So by my math, I got: 14 + 14 + 14 + 14 + 18 + 5 + 1 = $80. Not quite the $200 worth they were advertising...

I did receive a Fedex slip on my door Friday afternoon, so maybe more is coming in a separate box, but it also might just be my starter box finally arriving.

Considering I only paid $45 for 7 polishes and the extras, I didn't really overpay for anything, but it's just a bit disappointing. This might end up being my first and last mystery box.

Thanks! I like it too :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Another thing I thought of this morning was that the box was supposed to add up to $200 worth of items, right? I didn't get anywhere near that amount.  I received 7 polishes, so initially I thought that was pretty good, but then I remembered that Lucky, Petra and Alma were add-ons, which means I only got 4 in the box. My extras were a Pomegranate body creme, a nail file, and a toe separator. I checked the Julep site for the full retail prices. The nail file isn't exactly the same, and I wasn't able to find the toe separator individually, but it couldn't sell for more than a buck, if that. So by my math, I got: 14 + 14 + 14 + 14 + 18 + 5 + 1 = $80. Not quite the $200 worth they were advertising... I did receive a Fedex slip on my door Friday afternoon, so maybe more is coming in a separate box, but it also might just be my starter box finally arriving. Considering I only paid $45 for 7 polishes and the extras, I didn't really overpay for anything, but it's just a bit disappointing. This might end up being my first and last mystery box.
The value is from $70-$200 and they guaranteed at least $70 of product. Sorry no surprise box with more product. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ah, thank you! I couldn't find the emails with the amount advertised. Must've trashed them.

I actually really like Jill but I tend to conservative colors in the brown/grey family. It did last longer on me than the suedes from November (which was always a plus). Jill really didn't look different with a top coat. I found the texture interesting (but kind of odd to apply in that one coat could be a bit uneven).

Mine came yesterday, I got version 3:

Sadie (black Sea Salt Polish)

Dakota

Sally

Janel

Pomegranate Body Cream

Toe separators

Emery board

Only Sadie and Janel were new for me. I am happy I got the black sea salt since it was the one that shined the most.

Anybody looking for Sadie there is a very close dupe:  Orly Pixel FX in Black Pixel.  I have a picture comparing the 2 at home, but they are so close that if you were lusting after Sadie, the Orly might be a good one to go for. 

Back