makeup organization

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My makeup collection has been growing the past couple months (mainly due to discovering the trades section as well as the sales/deals threads :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />). I used to just keep the few items I had in my makeup bag on top of my dresser, but it's becoming too unmanageable! 

I know a lot of you own more makeup than I do, so I was wondering how you keep it all organized? I've seen some pictures of people using clear bins- any other ideas?

I'm thinking of buying 2 Helmers and getting a piece of countertop from the hardware store and putting that on top. I just don't know if it would be tall enough. I prefer to use an office chair that's slightly taller than most, and I need a counter/desk that's at a comfortable height. I had a heck of a time finding a chair tall enough for work.

Originally Posted by sparklegirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My makeup collection has been growing the past couple months (mainly due to discovering the trades section as well as the sales/deals threads :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />). I used to just keep the few items I had in my makeup bag on top of my dresser, but it's becoming too unmanageable! 

I know a lot of you own more makeup than I do, so I was wondering how you keep it all organized? I've seen some pictures of people using clear bins- any other ideas?
I picked up this one--- http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50192822/  I love this thing to death. Ive had mine for at least 3 months. I put pics up on the other makeup organization thread if you are curious how it looks in person, capacity, etc.  Its a really good size and fits all my makeup very nicely. I would highly suggest it! I was about to get the clear acrylic cube like my mother, but I couldn't justify the $200-300  she paid. (all I was thinking about was all the makeup I could buy with that $$$! It actually fit all my makeup (which I split up Skincare, eye products, face products, blush bronzer and highlighters, lip products, perfumes, trade/spares, nail polish and candles on the bottom) Since those pics, Ive rearranged a little, (reorganized the lippies, moved the perfumes out and separated the eyeshadow palettes.

Its really sturdy and easy to clean. I really can't rave enough about it!!

Thanks for the ideas ladies! I will look into the pieces you have and hopefully find a system that works for me!

I second all the Ikea recommendations. I have the Malm dresser and the Alex 9 drawer unit. I love them!

My makeup collection has grown a lot in the last few months (pretty much thanks to this forum :p) but I still don't have nearly the amount of stuff that some ladies have so the ikea storage items that I've seen suggested were just too big for me. I store my excess samples in glossybox boxes that I label and stack in my linen closet and any extra or back up full size hair care or skin care products are stored in dedicated baskets in my linen closet as well ( basically a whole shelf is dedicated for my hoarding). My makeup is the only thing I really like to have sitting on my dresser so I got two acrylic storage units from Muji. http://www.muji.us/store/storage/acrylic-cases.html?limit=all I got the 5 drawer and the 2 drawer large and I stack the 2 drawer on top of the 5 drawer . They hold everything I have and look great on my dresser and I can see all my makeup so I can remember to use it. They're at a nice price point to when compared too other acrylic makeup storage cases. If you don't have a ton of makeup this works wonderfully. It actually holds a lot of makeup though- if you google muji makeup storage you can see how much makeup actually fits in the drawers. Then on top of the two storage drawers I have an acrylic makeup container from the container store which holds all my brushes and other tools and any makeup that stands upright and doesn't fit in my muji drawers like my skin79 bb cream- stupid cylinder shape container. http://m.containerstore.com/mt/www.containerstore.com/shop/bath/cosmeticsOrganizers/countertop?productId=10001051&N=71792 Three different pieces but they work together and they look like a pretty cohesive and seamless system. I also have a 3 section rectangular organizer that holds everyday skincare are items and hair items that sits next to my makeup storage. I got this at bed bath and beyond years ago when I first moved to college and it's held up great and it's what convinced me to get acrylic makeup storage.

Thanks for sharing everyone! I've been looking into the muji units since I don't have a lot so it's nice to hear th fit a lot. I was thinking of getting the 2 and 5 drawer units- do either fit paletes?

The five drawer is where I keep my palettes and it fits my naked2 and tarte aqualillies nicely. The 2 drawer is just about the same size in width but the drawers are taller.

I had no trouble fitting almost all my makeup in the 5 drawer - bareminerals jars, benefit hoola, any kind of lipstick/gloss/stain/whatever, palettes. The only items that didn't fit were my Makeup For Ever HD  microfinish powder and a sample of the Clarins instant smooth perfecting touch, and skin79 BB cream- the jars were just a little too tall.

Thanks for letting me know! I think I'll just get the 5 drawer and hold off on the 2 since I don't have too much tall makeup. I went on vacation after my last post and now the website is sold out of most items. I guess I'll just have to wait to organize my stash :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

U can try the above storage from Ikea, I saw it from one of their catalogs and thought it was pretty good for storing make up, otherwise u can customize one like what i did and add on some plastic containers of different heights on the vanity to put different stuff in

Hi everyone, thanks for all of your input regarding makeup storage. I went ahead and bought two 3-drawer muji units and a shelf thing I use for my brushes. As you can see, I don't have a big collection at all, so this system is perfect for me!

I have just purchased a set of tool boxes, they look like they will do the job but haven't actually sorted it yet. They were cheap $13 for the two. I will post some pictures when they are done.

Hi everyone, thanks for all of your input regarding makeup storage. I went ahead and bought two 3-drawer muji units and a shelf thing I use for my brushes. As you can see, I don't have a big collection at all, so this system is perfect for me!
Did you washi tape a birchbox lid? Cause that's brilliant.  Where's @ - didn't you just buy rolls and rolls of washi tape?  Look at how cute that is!

Did you washi tape a birchbox lid? Cause that's brilliant. Where's @ - didn't you just buy rolls and rolls of washi tape? Look at how cute that is!
That would be brilliant! But unfortunately, I'm not brilliant. That was the just the lid that came in a box last year- maybe December? It was pretty, so I used it.

Did you washi tape a birchbox lid? Cause that's brilliant.  Where's @ - didn't you just buy rolls and rolls of washi tape?  Look at how cute that is!
I just remembered I did cover a birchbox in washi tape! It was super easy and looks really cute! I did the lid and bottom in different tape (printed lid and solid color bottom). It makes a cute little box to hold samples, ribbon etc. 

Back