Is Ipsy Bag Worth It?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was previously a subscriber to Birchbox and Beauty Army, but I decided to trade Beauty Army (seriously, they're not worth it) for the Ipsy bag. It looks like they send a lot of good products, and a lot of full sized stuff. I love that they send a makeup bag too! What I was wondering is if they send good products? Is there a wide variety of brands and cosmetics? I get my first bag this May and I'm so excited. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I just don't want to end up disappointed like I did with Beauty Army. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

With any subscription I think you take the risk of being disappointed with that said I personally have liked a lot of the Ipsy bags especially since the name change from My Glam to Ipsy. I would say they are worth the $10 you pay into it some months are not as great as others but again that goes with the territory and personal preference for items.

I subbed to BB for almost 9 months and found that I was constantly let down with their box compared to the glam bag (I've been subbed to Ipsy for a little over a year now) most months, so I totally understand your frustration there. I think they send out a good variety of brands and products one of my favorites has been the Pacifica blood orange lotion from a few months back. I'm seriously addicted to the stuff it smells so good!

Is it worth it? Depends on your expectations. I'll always tell people that because people have different expectations. While Ipsy sends out more full size products most of the items they send are not prestige or higher end brands. Many of the items are drugstore items or companies that buy from private label manufacturers. I've been a Birchbox subscriber for three years near the end of May, Beauty Army since the day they launched (though took a three or four month break) and Ipsy since they launched as MyGlam and I have to say with Ipsy I've probably used 75%+ of the items while Birchbox and Beauty Army between 50% to 75% of the items. I have other subscriptions as well but personally I find that I use the items from Ipsy more than any other company. So again, it all depends on your expectations.

If you are someone that sticks to nicer/more prestigious brands, ipsy will be a disappointment.  But, if you are willing to try a lot of stuff from brands you can buy at CVS or that you haven't heard of, then it is a great deal.  Just remember, you can always cancel if you decide you don't like it.  I can't see ipsy sending out lower "value" bags anytime soon, as that is something a lot of people love about ipsy.

Ever since the name change they have improved the quality of the bags themselves, which I like.  Also, if you follow the monthly threads, someone typically posts the retail value of items received, and every month I have been subscribed it has beenwell over the $10 I spent and can get some nice stuff.  Yes, there are some brand partners that have not so great reputations, but most of the partners are great.  Of course there is always the option to trade with someone else.  I love doing trades to get rid of something I didn't like and replace it with something I want.

I have liked Ipsy so far. Jan 2013 was my first bag. I am semi-new to make-up and Ipsy gives me a chance to try things I might not have tried before, and certainly might not have purchased a full size of without trying it first. Out of the four months I have gotten so far I have used almost everything. I did re-gift a hairspray to my sister because I do not use hair spray.

Even in March when I felt the bag was a bit "light" in comparison to other months, I still felt it was worth the $10.

I think the people who are most often disappointed in Ipsy are those who already have a ton of make-up so they likely have all the colors and such anyway, or people who do not the idea of not getting to choose exactly what shade or whatnot they get. Nothing wrong with either of those two types, but Ipsy just may not be a good fit for them.

I had the Feb and March bag, and unsubscribed for April. I resubbed for May tho -- I've been liking the spoilers so far. They do have lower end brands than other sub services --I personally like higher end brands cause getting samples from those brands will help me decide if I wanna splurge for the full size. I almost never use any of my Ipsy products from the two months I subbed. I tried the eyeshadows--but didn't like them. I'm picky with brands so I think that's why I didn't like it..For example, I don't like made in china items, unless it's from a brand that I already trust. But that's just me.

edit: BTW, I like using lower end brands too -- I use Revlon, Covergirl, etc..but I use them cause they're reputable and good quality :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Ipsy sometimes sends out products that are just lacking in quality..

I think it is absolutely worth it. While it may not be many high end brands (though they have sent out Urban Decay, theBalm, etc), it is a great way to try new things and get fun new things to play with. I have several subs and they all serve a different purpose for me!

Birchbox - I like it for the points and to try high end skincare, etc.

Glossybox - For the large samples and the frequent international brands, mostly high end.

Ipsy - for lots of fun makeup, they aren't afraid of sending color, smaller brands I haven't tried

Starlooks - for my real makeup collection building needs. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think it is absolutely worth it. While it may not be many high end brands (though they have sent out Urban Decay, theBalm, etc), it is a great way to try new things and get fun new things to play with. I have several subs and they all serve a different purpose for me!

Birchbox - I like it for the points and to try high end skincare, etc.

Glossybox - For the large samples and the frequent international brands, mostly high end.

Ipsy - for lots of fun makeup, they aren't afraid of sending color, smaller brands I haven't tried

Starlooks - for my real makeup collection building needs. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Oohh..I've been intrigued by Starlooks. How is their makeup line, in general?

Yes. Yes. Yes. Ipsy is more than worth it!

It's a bag full of happiness each month.

I love this sub. And I use mostly high end makeup...YSL, Givenchy, Make Up Forever, UD etc.

(But I am open to all makeup..high price doesn't always mean higher quality)

Also I subscribe to many of the subs, BB, GB, SS, NBTT etc and Ipsy is absolutely one of my favorites. It's PURE FUN!!!!!!!!!

Btw, judging from the spoilers, this seems like a really great month to start your sub.

Plus for once there is no waitlist!!!!

Originally Posted by LisaLeah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes. Yes. Yes. Ipsy is more than worth it!

It's a bag full of happiness each month.

I love this sub. And I use mostly high end makeup...YSL, Givenchy, Make Up Forever, UD etc.

(But I am open to all makeup..high price doesn't always mean higher quality)

Also I subscribe to many of the subs, BB, GB, SS, NBTT etc and Ipsy is absolutely one of my favorites. It's PURE FUN!!!!!!!!!

Btw, judging from the spoilers, this seems like a really great month to start your sub.

Plus for once there is no waitlist!!!!
iagree.gif

Originally Posted by saku /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oohh..I've been intrigued by Starlooks. How is their makeup line, in general?
I love the starlooks makeup line...one of my favorite subs. I won a Jan box from the MUT contest, I also won a March box from a blogger, and I just received my April box from my subscription...love all of them!

Last month was my first month subscribed to Ipsy, and I loved it and was disappointed at the same time. I love that I was introduced to new brands, loved that we got a variety of items, loved the color theme and the bag. The only particular issue I had was that the only thing I ended up actually using was the cheapest, most widely available item (the hair powder). The other products just didn't end up working out for me, but I'm still glad I had the chance to find that out. I am the type of person that usually likes the quality of higher end brands, but I know it's not impossible for new brands to have that same quality. So while last month was kind of a miss for me, I am still excited for next month (especially seeing the spoilers), and I feel like it's definitely worth the $10. 

This thread just changed my mind about subscribing! I caved and signed up. I used to get Birchbox, but didn't renew after a year. I am going to be canceling my Julep Maven subscription since I usually skip each month anyway. (Horrible experience with their products!)

So now it's Glossybox and Ipsy for me!

Originally Posted by LolaJay /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This thread just changed my mind about subscribing! I caved and signed up. I used to get Birchbox, but didn't renew after a year. I am going to be canceling my Julep Maven subscription since I usually skip each month anyway. (Horrible experience with their products!)

So now it's Glossybox and Ipsy for me!
Me too...but I still get BB - 2 in fact and Julep!  Although I may be skipping Julep for the next couple of months, I have polish overhaul!

I joined Ipsy - over a month on the waiting list and then my first bag was a disappointment. 3 of the items were really poor quality compared to BeautyArmy and Birchbox. I've already canceled Ipsy. $10 for a mascara that doesn't last (even with various primers), a shadow in a cheap compact (that was most talc!), and a really low quality nail polish? No thanks.

Originally Posted by guenivere /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I joined Ipsy - over a month on the waiting list and then my first bag was a disappointment. 3 of the items were really poor quality compared to BeautyArmy and Birchbox. I've already canceled Ipsy. $10 for a mascara that doesn't last (even with various primers), a shadow in a cheap compact (that was most talc!), and a really low quality nail polish? No thanks.
Oops, I meant $10 for an EYESHADOW, not mascara. Blah.

I am in the minority, but I did not like ipsy. I've subscribed in the very beginning and then a few more times when they were ipsy but I've just never used anything I got. I prefer high end brands, and ipsy just doesn't have them. Also, I already have MORE than enough full sized eyeshadows, pink lip glosses, etc. Full size make up items are NOT why I subscribe to birchbox. I don't want them and do not need them, especially from the brands ipsy sends out.So like everyone else said, it depends on what your expectations are.

Originally Posted by gemstone /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you are someone that sticks to nicer/more prestigious brands, ipsy will be a disappointment.  But, if you are willing to try a lot of stuff from brands you can buy at CVS or that you haven't heard of, then it is a great deal.  Just remember, you can always cancel if you decide you don't like it.  I can't see ipsy sending out lower "value" bags anytime soon, as that is something a lot of people love about ipsy.
I love trying all kinds of different products, especially so I can do a wide range of reviews for my blog. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Latest posts

Back