May 2013 No-buy/Low-buy thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Happy May! 
flowers.gif

Anyone up for another month of no-buy/low-buy?

I think I'm going to stick to my 5 item limit again this month.

I like the idea of an X amount limit. I'm going to try for 5 and see what happens. So, a low buy, regarding amount of products. I already know I need to get a cleansing oil, plus I ordered a mystery bag from Llarowe.. but that was a few days back, end of April.. to count or not to...? Lol. Good luck everyone!

I feel off the wagon in April with The Balm 50% sale and Chic Week at Sephora, but this month I am going to be better. I will still get my Birchbox and my Ipsy bag, but other than that I won't be buying any makeup or beauty products unless I run out of something I use daily. The only thing I foresee that happening with is eye makeup remover. I have so much stuff, I need to use it up!

I am definitely committing to a no buy that only includes exceptions for: a new eyelash curler, small scissors (to cut my eyelashes and eyebrows), a new powder brush (to replace an old one), and essential makeup items such as concealer, powder, and mascara.

I've "researched in advance for the specific items I want and have found ones that cost less than $5 each and still should perform well.

I am also working on items that I have hit pan on and a few items that I no longer love, but are to expensive to toss.

-19Ten20

I'm going to attempt a no buy this month with the exception of my 3 subscription boxes - Birchbox, Eco Emi and Julep.  Gulp. 

I don't need anything, just need to resist any sales and impulse buys.

Yeah I really don't need anything either. I want to do a no-buy but I'm afraid of failing at it. 

The only sub boxes I have for this month are PopSugar, Birchbox, and possibly Naturebox. I feel like I should just buy snacks from a grocery store instead of subscribing to a snack box.

I'm afraid of failing a no-buy as well, as I've never done it successfully.  However, I've put myself on a strict budget with every dollar spoken for, so failing the no buy will mean I go in the red for the month.  Hopefully, that will be incentive enough, but we shall see.

I'm going to be on a low buy of sorts. I've already decided what I'm going to buy for this month, and after that I'm limiting myself to things that I cannot talk myself out of with a witness (which means that I cannot buy things without asking someone else if it's a good idea first).

Things I'm buying:

the mini set of the OPI bond girls

a bunch of polish from my fav indie polish maker (that I promised her I was buying as soon as I got paid) - set of 8 neons + the remainder of the holo collection.

my sub boxes which should be paid for (ipsy, birchbox, squarehue, starlooks starbox)

a tarte eyeliner as part of a group order

ticket to the tour of st louis for my convention in July

Things I am NOT buying:

konad tools even though my stamping set is garbage

the opi bond girls not in the mini set

any cosmetics that I do not go physically out of my way to shop for (e.g. no random stuff at walmart)

julep mystery boxes

my sub boxes which are already paid for (goodies.co, love with food, seasonsbox)

a little black bag

indie polishes other than those from ellagee which I have committed to

eyeshadow at all

Commitment: go!

No buy for me with the exception of one nail polish blog sale purchase that she is holding for me with payment due on the 10th.

I am getting 2 kittens this Friday so hopefully the expenses associated with that (I already had to lay down over $200 for supplies and there will be an adoption fee too) will keep me in line.

I'm actually trying to no buy anything but food and things I might need for the kittens unexpectedly this month.  We'll see how I do.

I am keeping my sub boxes but skipping any that have an easy skip option (Julep, LBB).

Wow it's May Day!

I reeeeaaaaaaally want to try a no-buy this month but I'm scared to.  I started my first ever low-buy in January and I think over the months it's helped me build up resistance to impulse buys and sales and realize that I just shouldn't buy MORE stuff.  But I get so much enjoyment out of shopping for beauty products and especially trying new things I'm kind of scared of stopping that cold turkey.  

Maybe I'll try it for a week and see how it goes, lol.

Ok. I'm going to do this for real this time. After Chic Week (stocked up on essentials) and the Balm Sale. I gotta go on a beauty low buy! I just fell in love with the Tarte Bb Primer thing (I feel like every makeupy word is in its name...) so I am going to get that and limit myself to 4 other items or a certain dollar amount - whichever happens first. I can do this!

I'm in! I totally slipped when it was chic week! My goal is to keep my buy under 3 items and no compulsive buying (since April was an all around fail for my no/low buy). I separated my sample stash that I want to keep and what I'm willing to trade and I hope to use up a good amount of samples this month.

Godspeed and good luck to us all!

I'm not sure if i could handle doing a no buy month (being an Avon rep.). I am interested in doing a low buy. Any suggestions of how to set a good starting limit?

Originally Posted by bookie7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not sure if i could handle doing a no buy month (being an Avon rep.). I am interested in doing a low buy. Any suggestions of how to set a good starting limit?
Not buying your way up to your $50 min for AVON by yourself. ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> -learnedthatlessonthehardway-

This is the first time I'm attempting a no buy, except for my subscription boxes (Birchbox, Goodebox, Eco-Emi, Daily Dose of Green, Green Grab Bag, Barkbox...yes quite a few!). I bought too many things during Sephora Chic Week, theBalm 50% off sale, Caudalie F&F 20% off, huge Tatcha order and god knows how many other small purchases. 

Absolutely no buy - I am well stocked up on all my essentials and not-so-essentials as well.

Originally Posted by tulosai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No buy for me with the exception of one nail polish blog sale purchase that she is holding for me with payment due on the 10th.

I am getting 2 kittens this Friday so hopefully the expenses associated with that (I already had to lay down over $200 for supplies and there will be an adoption fee too) will keep me in line.

I'm actually trying to no buy anything but food and things I might need for the kittens unexpectedly this month.  We'll see how I do.

I am keeping my sub boxes but skipping any that have an easy skip option (Julep, LBB).
Post pictures of the kittens when you get them! 

Originally Posted by Lulubelle107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Post pictures of the kittens when you get them! 
I  will!

I already endured my first buy temptation this morning- Birchbox Discovery dash.  Took a pass, pretty proud of myself :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It's my birthday month so I'm not restricting myself. I don't have anything I need or really really want thanks to Chic Week though. Ulta sent me a $10 off coupon in my e-mail and they've got some nice GWPs but I don't know that I'll be purchasing anything.

Latest posts

Back