Do you go through makeup 'phases'?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just noticed with myself that I'd be obssessed with one type of makeup, buy lots of lots of that, then move on and be obsessed with another. I got really into makeup/skincare just last year, and still building my collection. I'm curious if you have a similar experience/makeup habits? I usually buy lots and lots of one thing until I'm satisfied with the variety, then my focus will suddenly turn into something else. Am I crazy? LOL :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> What is your 'pattern' in terms of buying makeup/growing your collection? 

I'd love to hear your thoughts! 
rolleyes.gif

Yes!  I do the same thing.  Eye shadow pallets and perfumes are pretty much on going themes for me, but most other things come and go in waves in terms of products and brands that I am in to.

I initially remember being on a big lip gloss kick.  I was constantly buying Smashbox and Tarte lip glosses.

Then I was really in to eyeliner and found myself with a whole bunch of Stila Smudge Sticks and Urban Decay 24/7 liners.

After that I found myself in to blush, especially Benefit's Box O' Powders and ended up buying the vast majority of them.

Then I was really in to makeup brushes, mostly Sigma but I branched out to several brands there.

After that I got the lipstick bug which I am still kind of in to, but I'm not in as deep as I was.

Nail polish also comes and goes, and most recently I have been getting in to skin care.

I'm always in to everything all the time, but I have definitely noticed that I will have a primary focus for a period of time before moving on to another main focus.

I definitely shop in 'phases'. Though I'm on an ever long journey of owning every eyeshadow palette out there, I do go through periods where I seek out certain products. Just recently I got out of a glitter kick. I didn't have any glitter in my collection and now here I am with a drawer full. I also went through a lipstick/lipgloss phase. I think I now own every NYX round lipstick and round lipgloss because of that I'm currently on a mica pigment sample kick. Since I already own all the coastal scents micas and all the TKB Trading ones as well, I'm finding this phase to be a little less thrilling but long story short I definitely go through makeup phases. I think it helps to grow your collection quite nicely though.

I'm glad I'm not alone! :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've gone through blush, (black) eyeliner, and mascara phases... and now I'm  in a foundation kick! (although I'm also in a constant eyeshadow palette obsession!) Trying out new brands/formulas and discovering the ones that are the best is always very exciting. When I find my favorite brand for a specific product, then I try to acquire all the shades of that product, think UD eyeshadows, theBalm blushes, tarte blushes..list goes on.. Thankfully, I use black eyeliner 99.9999% of the time, and I don't have an interest in hoarding UD eyeliners in so many pretty colors, well, just yet. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

In general, I'm always in an eyeshadow phase. Currently, I'm obsessed with lipstick.

I'm always lipstick-obsessed, but go through other phases in waves. Last year I was all about BB cream. Most recently I've been on a bronzer freak.

Originally Posted by gw3ndolyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In general, I'm always in an eyeshadow phase. Currently, I'm obsessed with lipstick.
I am like this also. Right now, I want to be in a lipstick stage but have no idea which colors I'm brave enough to try.

I definitely shop in phases and not just with makeup. Right now I'm in a lipstick & nail polish phase. I think I've acquired 5 different red lipsticks in the last few weeks and have some bright pinks and corals on the way. Next will probably be BB creams since summer is around the corner & I'll need a new shade/texture.

I do this all the time! Nail polish then I'll go to makeup (eyeliners and eye shadow)then Ill go to lip gloss and sometimes handmade soaps. Palettes are my kryptonite tho!!!

I go through phases of products, but also phases of colors or types of colors. For a while I was on a peach kick, then it was blush, then neutral shades, then purples, and now kind of on a jewel toned eye shadows used as liners thing. As far as skin care I was on an Asian skin care thing, then I switched to more natural but I kept some of the Asian influence as far as how they do things (as in what order and what steps). I am also slowly trying more mineral make-up and Indie make-up.

Seriously! I'm going through this right now. In the past couple of weeks I have accumulated about double the makeup I previously had. It all started when I received a huge bag of "compensation" products from Loreal Testing. Then, Stila had a 50 percent off sale. Next, I really wanted the Tarte Aqualillies pallette, so I bought it on ulta's website as well as the Lorac Glogetter palette which is Amazeballs. I also bought the Stila Beach Babe set and the L.A. Lady set. I opened two bags on LBB just to get the Pixi products they were offering. I traded all my jewelry away to get Pixi. Hahahaha. I'm loving makeup right now!

You are not alone!! I was on a red lipstick kick last summer. Now it is BB Cremes (I KNEW I should never have bought that first one!) and eye primers. Last winter and up to about 1 month ago, I was hot for skincare systems.

I'm going through a god awful nail polish phase right now. Between Julep boxes and the zoya summer collections and sales, it is quickly spiraling out of control. Before that, I was on a colored eyeliner kick.

Originally Posted by unicorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm going through a god awful nail polish phase right now. Between Julep boxes and the zoya summer collections and sales, it is quickly spiraling out of control. Before that, I was on a colored eyeliner kick.
I hear ya! I recently joined Julep Maven & I'm already on my 4th order. I've just spent the last hour picking out Zoya colors on their website thanks to the Ipsy code & I'm seriously considering making a trip to Ulta so I can choose in person before ordering. lol

Originally Posted by KimberlyP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You are not alone!! I was on a red lipstick kick last summer. Now it is BB Cremes (I KNEW I should never have bought that first one!) and eye primers. Last winter and up to about 1 month ago, I was hot for skincare systems.
Same here! Shouldn't have bought that first one!! Now I want to try all the different formulas and brands! And there's just too many of them! AAAAAAHHH   O.O

LOL

Giiiiirl, we're all addicts here. LOL. Unfortunately, I'm a foundation junkie. I'm always on the quest for a full coverage foundation that will give me a dewy finish. Foundation is super pricey, to be honest, but I just can't help myself. Eye shadow was my first "phase" and then it went onto blush, then lipstick. Other than foundation, I'm into mascaras at the moment. I used to leave the house without mascara and I never realized how POLISHED it makes you look- even absent eyeliner. Needless to say, I am obsessed. Good thing the drug store is close at hand. 

Back