Do you think I'll have a problem bringing my makeup, nail polish, perfume on plane?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I haven't flown post 9/11 so I have no idea what I can pack or what limits there are. Any advice? Thanks!!! I'm definitely not throwing anything out! My foundation costs as much as the plane ticket! lol

From the American Airlines Website: 

For Security Screening:

Place liquids in individual containers with a maximum capacity of 3.4 oz./100 ml each.

All liquids, gels and aerosols in containers larger than 3.4 ounces must be packed in your checked bag.

Place all liquid containers in a separate clear plastic, zip-top bag no larger than 8in x 8in (20cm x 20cm) or is quart size.

Items must fit in the bag comfortably so that it closes completely and must be submitted for inspection separately from other carry-on baggage.

Remove the plastic bag from the carry-on bag at the security checkpoint for separate x-ray screening. Exemptions to the liquids rule apply for liquid medicine or baby milk/food.

View TSA guidelines for traveling with formula, breast milk or juice.

Customers carrying liquids in carry-on bags may be subject to secondary searches before boarding.

Examples Of Liquids, Gels And Aerosols:

Toiletries – shampoo, toothpaste, mouthwash, perfume, shaving foam, aerosols, deodorant, eye care products

Cosmetic products – perfume, hair spray/gel, lip gloss, mascara, nail polish, makeup removers/cleansers, foundation

Non-solid food items – soups, syrups, pressurized food containers (cheese or whipped cream), gelatin, pudding, yogurt

Liquid soaps, sanitizers, bath oils, bubble bath Any creams, ointments or lotions All other liquids/gels not listed here

The sizes might vary depending on the airline, all of the airlines should have a run down of their guidelines on their website.

The size restrictions only apply to carry-on luggage, so you might be able to get some travel sized containers to put together a little touch up kit you can bring in your bag for layovers and keep the full sized stuff in a suitcase.

Hope this helps! (Also, enjoy your trip!)

Thanks! I was gonna check that next. What a PITA. I think I'm going to purchase some little plastic containers from the dollar Japanese store. Now all I have to worry about is getting probed and landing! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thanks! I'm going to save these links. All of my nail polish/liquids made it thru in my checked-in luggage. Could have brought a lot more.

I'm glad I found this! I'm flying out of the country to the West Indies this fall, anyone know if the same rules apply for international flight? Would I be better off to just put all makeup in my checked luggage?

Since nail polish is a liquid, the answer to the questioncan you take nail polishon a plane, is yes, as long as it's less than 3.4 ounces and fits in your liquids bag. Most bottles of nail polish are much smaller than this limit, so that shouldn't be aproblem.

yeah i just flew and got in a tiny problem as my liquid is slightly over 4 ounces.

but small bottles are fine, they do check all your liquid but let you cross when they didn't find anything wrong.

Latest posts

Back