makeup brushes which is which?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm having a problem of figuring out which one of these is the foundation brush >.< I haven't used brushes before, except for one eyeshadow one.

brush #1

#4 looks like a zoomed in fluffy brush for shadow so to put the sizes in perspective a line up of the brushes side-by-side would be nice. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ok, seeing them side-by-side shows me that none (#1 - 5) are foundation brushes. Those are all face brushes. The one that's a light gray in color looks like it could be used as a foundation brush but it's not since it looks too thin. Here are a few of mine (I'm actually missing my OnDaGo case with my brushes, thankfully I kept some in a box). The top three are paddle head foundation brushes (the middle one is actually from Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics, the other two are generic from Target). The bottom two are stippling brushes (one is Real Techniques) the other is from Morphé Brush (sister company to Crown Brushes).

Ahh, EBay... so it's a no name set. Well looking at the brushes you have a variety of eye brushes and face brushes (mainly various sizes of blushes) which is good because having a variety is useful to do different looks.

Looking at this image that shines gray in a different pic that is most likely their version of a face blending brush rather than actual foundation brush. Most foundation brushes have shorter bristles that typically taper. Now not all bristles are shorter or taper in a foundation brush but the vast majority does. A face blending brush is similar to a foundation brush in that it's flat but the bristles typically are longer. I would suggest, if you can and want to, go pick up an inexpensive foundation brush from any store that sells cosmetic brushes you'll then see the difference between the brushes in your set and an actual foundation brush.

Originally Posted by Lesler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know of any good inexpensive ones?

Hi there, do you need it for liquid foundation, mineral, pressed powder? I might have some suggestions. Overall, I think ecotools, the Riteaid brand and Sonia Kashuk are good options.  

Back