Beginner makeup help question

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I am watching videos on beginner makeup on youtube...

The video poster is said around 3:30-3:45 in the video ...."It doesn't go completely matte because it still has a nice sheen to it"

So I wasn't sure what matte or sheen meant so I googled and came up with this for matte:

Matte: Matte means that it’s completely dry/flat, and it has no shimmer, or shine to it.

Is this correct?

I could not find on google an exact definition of sheen but from the video I am thinking sheen means this:

Sheen means it has at least some shimmer and/or shine to it.

Sort of like the opposite of matte or sort of like absense of a matte(non-shiny/shimmery) look??

I also noticed earlier in these makeup tutorials that she said if you have oily skin then you are going to want a mattifying moisturizer...so I am assuming the reason is to get rid of the shine of the oil if I am correct about my definition about sheen?

Exactly. I have oily skin, so when I was first experimenting with makeup, by the end of the day it would always look really oily. A mattifying moisturizer or primer would help significantly.

Back