Going Natural

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Guys, Well some of you may know that I'm AA (African American) and im trying to go natural, the last time I permed my hair (chemically processed it) was about 5 months ago. I think thats a good start but I was so scared to actually touch my hair that I just go to the salon every 2 weeks to get it blown out. My hair is really thick and the ends are damaged, I want to be able to style my hair myself so im asking if anyone has or is going natural can you share your tips or ideas. My aunt uses the Shea Moisture curl and shine to enhance her curls and says it really good but kind of expensive about 10.99 just for a bottle of shampoo. The one im thinking about getting is for damaged hair which I need, its around the same price. Once again if anyone can share there tips and ideas that would be a great help. Thanks

I'm also going natural. My last relaxer was just before New Years so we're about at the same point in our transition so I can relate to the difficulty. 

If you can stand it, just go ahead and cut the dead ends off because if you plan on keeping down the natural route you'll have to just big chop eventually anyways. I cut my dead and damaged ends off (not all of my permed ends yet though). 

Also you should definitely try to use less heat, NONE if you can! Maybe try a protective style like sew ins for a few months so you won't even be tempted. I keep my weaves on a U-Part and re-sew it in every week so that I can still wash my hair and deep condition weekly. 

Other than that I don't really have anything else because I'm still learning too  

YouTube has a lot of great natural hair bloggers who give great transitioning tips and ideas for protective styles. Naptural85, TheHappyHairShow & Haircrush are my favorites. 

Damage to the hair is usually due to warm irons, blow dehydrating, curlers, warm lights, U.V. radiation sun, lights, suntanning beds, technical devices combs, paint licks, styling clubs, substances color, perms, relaxers, pool substances, the air, etc, or poor diet specifically - lack of necessary protein and essential unhealthy acids.

PrettyLivy Im actually getting my hair cut not all the perm but just the dead/split ends for right now. My hair is really thick and very dry and with the weather being up in the 90's it seems like it's getting worse! I have my hair in clip in extensions, so I take them out and treat my hair every week! But thanks for the info I'll be sure to check out the youtubers also. Happy Transitioning !

You need to do the big chop and start fresh. I been natural for 7 months and I love it. Once you do the big chop it's pretty easy to maintain as your hair grows faster and thicker.

As you learn things that work well for you let me know & I'll do the same! I know everything doesn't work for everyone but I am pretty much going through this alone and would love to have someone to share style and product tips with. 

Natural hair forums are so intimidating because people tend to be snobby and unwilling to help out beginners. 

& happy transitioning to you too doll! 

Nikky, I'm still undecided about doing a big chop! If I don't do a big chop, then I'm going to get about 2 inches chopped off first! (My hair is shoulder length) then in about 4 months get the rest chopped off! I think a big chop will be too much for me to handle. PrettLivy, Of course I will! Your are totally right about people being unwilling to help, that frustrates me to no end! I'm so glad that I'm not doing this alone anymore, right now I'm just experimenting with nourishing and moisturizing my hair! It tends to be really dry!!

Well I do understand. It took me 3 years for me to decide and I had really long hair. When I did the big chop I had no length but a week after my hair grew super fast and is still growing super fast. I think that was the best decision I ever made concerning my hair.

I know chopping my hair off will be a good start, because my ends are damaged and when by hair grows the ends just keep breaking off. I'm just trying to gear myself up for it! I know once I'm at the shop, I'm going to want them to chop it all off.

Oh my! I'm dreading that, I hoping not to get none anytime soon. So I don't blame you! If you dont mind me asking how old are you?

Oh my! I'm dreading that, I hoping not to get none anytime soon. So I don't blame you! If you dont mind me asking how old are you?
I'm only 22 :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> when I got pregnant I started stressing and grew a few grays. Now they're very shiny lol

Lol, I would dye my hair also! I totally don't blame you. Im 21 and I understand! My mom has some and I'm like you know you making it worst by stressing over them! We get them young in my family and I pray I somehow break that cycle.

Lol, I would dye my hair also! I totally don't blame you. Im 21 and I understand! My mom has some and I'm like you know you making it worst by stressing over them! We get them young in my family and I pray I somehow break that cycle.
I hope you do too!! It sucks being young with them lol

Hi I stopped relaxing my hair about a year ago. I plan to transition for two to three years until I finally cut off all of my relaxed hair. So far my natural hair is about shoulder length or a little past it by itself not including my relaxed hair. I have a pretty simple hair routine: Shampoo and condition my hair using a hair mask or deep conditioner in place of regular conditioner every other day. I leave the mask or treatment on for ten to fifteen minutes before rinsing. Wrap my hair in a towel for ten to fifteen minutes. Take it down and apply a leave in conditioner and hair serum. Detangle my hair with a wide tooth comb and put my hair in a bun and go. This takes about ten minutes or so. I only straighten my hair for special occasions like twice a year and I never use heat on my hair except for when I get it straightened. The most important part of my routine is shampooing every two days to keep a clean scalp and to promote hair growth. Sometimes I rinse my hair the next day after washing. I recommend you use Bumble & Bumble, Terax, Alfaparf and Alter Ego Italy products. Stay clear of the ethnic hair aisle. (Poison in a bottle). Styling can be buns, ponytails or you can scrunch with gel and go. I would stay away from braids or twists unless you are just doing a single one because these can look ghetto and unprofessional. Weaves will damage your hair. Just look at Naomi Campbell. Her edges and hairline are gone and nowhere to be found. Trim your hair every few months or whenever the ends look split or frayed or are startimg to tangle very easily and breaking.

I usually wash my hair every three days, and I mix conditioner with olive oil and sit under a warm dryer for about 5 minutes before I rinse it out. I deep condition my hair every week and I always use a heat protector if I'm going to a salon and get my hair done. The conditioner and olive oil softens and makes my hair nice soft and manageable! I started using Shea Moisture Transition Damage Repair, i think thats what it's called !

I'm trying to go natural about 4-5 months and I'm using SALERM COSMETICS COLOR REVERSE. Has anyone tried it, too?

Back