Where did you learn to apply makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey lets talk about our start for make up,, from where you all learned to apply make up....?

I think it was a little of this and a little of that. My mom, of course, Ioved watching her. Mostly from movies though, classics such as those with Audrey Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe, Sophia Loren, Elizabeth Taylor. Then from there, just by thumbing through beauty/style magazines and drawing inspiration!
wink.gif

I guess I learned through trial-and-error in the bathroom . . . during middle school . . . sooo much error.

My sis tried to teach me but it was hard for me catch on. I kinda had to learn on my own with some helpful hints from my mom and sis.

My mom don't use make up / except lipstick / and I don't have a sister so I had to teach to how to make my make up alone. I have to tell you honestly that when I was a teenager my make up was a disaster. So much black eye liner...

The basics from my mom but most of my knowledge is from friends or trial and error. You know that moment when you realize you look like a clown... ya a few of those lol

I just watched my mom when i was younger.

she is pretty basic, though...eyeliner, foundation, blush.

I've tried to learn the rest myself.

things I'm trying to learn, still...I use youtube ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I tried first time when i was 15 years old, firstly i was introduced with sheercover mineral make up.

and now also i am using same. I just apply make up when i am going somewhere in occasion or else.

Mostly, from my mom. She had gone to school for it in college (doesn't practice it now) and gave me a good foundation of knowledge. The rest was from experimentation. 

The only thing my mom ever wore was blue eye shadow lol. I learned mostly from the internet and experimenting. 

Truly speaking in my school life, I had the least idea about make up and fashion. But as I went to college, I had a number of friends, who were really the fasion block busters. Well most of the make up I learn from there. The remaining part I learnt from TV shows.

My mom was never much into makeup...a bit of brown eyeshadow and pencil, some mascara, and a peach blush when she was going out, that's about it. I just kind of picked it all up on the way! Slowly. I have painful memories of badly matching foundation and too much black eyeliner in middle and early high school...

I didn't start to really get into makeup until a few years ago, when I was 23 or so! Before that, it was a bit of light colored eyeshadow, mascara, and lip gloss.

I don't have many friends who are really into makeup either, beyond basic black liner and mascara...I think I've learned everything I know from a combination of the internet and experimentation. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've only been using makeup for 3 years(I'm 16) and the best at applying it in my entire high school. It wasn't until eighth grade year the week before Halloween that I got my first teenage makeover from my friend Sam. I was a true mess because hygiene was sooo not my thing at the time. At the time I acted like a true boy because I was never accepted with the girls...oh well. Anyway, in return for doing Sam's finger & toenails for her first homecoming dance as a freshman, she fixed me up with some of her talent. She even helped me shape my unruly eyebrows(I'm gifted with naturally really thick & dark eyebrows) and gave me a showdown on how to make my acne better. For the makeup she just did the basic natural eyeliner, lipgloss, sheer cover powder foundation, mascara(my own mini tube Mom bought with great hopes) and a very pretty champagne sparkly eyeshadow. It totally transformed my face and awakened my girls instincts because the day after I dragged Sam and Mom to Wal-mart & the mall and bought my first makeup kit: black & brown eyeliner, peach & icy pink lipgloss, eyeshadow palette with 18 rainbow colors w/natural shades too, a normal sized mascara, and an angled eyeliner brush. My grandparents got me a sephora brush set of 6 essential brushes for Christmas. After that, I started following MissChievous's YouTube makeup tutorials and created my own looks. For school, I didn't have too much freedom with my eyeshadow so I turned to the black eyeliner and mascara. I don't know how, but I was one of four girls that actually looked good with raccoon eyes. Mine weren't as dark though because I did a thin line 3/4 of the way around my eyes and only one coat of mascara. Freshman year I wore a rainbow eyeshadow look to match my headband, and earned the nickname Skittles! Now I'm famous all around school for my makeup talents and looks. Nobody knows what to expect from me....pretty, exotic, or even ghoulish!

Hey girls thank you so much for giving you important reply from yours i am so happy now that my thread is not got wasted thank you much...
icon_smile.gif

I was lucky enough to have a friend who works for Shiseido that gave me a ton of makeup to try out for my birthday a few years back.  I learned the basics from her, and then mostly a lot of trial and error as most of my friends don't really use a lot makeup.  YouTube, and forums such as this one have always been really helpful too.

My mom and just practicing on my face. I don't remember my mom actually sitting down to show me, but I do know she gave me tips and I watched her. Her fave shades are ones I still think of as favorites of mine- blue liner w/ gold eyeshadow. She gave that look up long ago, but I think it is a beautiful combo

Latest posts

Back