Sign in to follow this  
juliadsouza

Where did you learn to apply makeup?

I am also checking some youtube videos to become pro in applying make up.

0.jpg

Mod Edit - please be sure to embed videos instead of linking. See Terms of Service for more info, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoxirat View Post

I guess I learned through trial-and-error in the bathroom . . . during middle school . . . sooo much error.

Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadidoll View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoxirat View Post

I guess I learned through trial-and-error in the bathroom . . . during middle school . . . sooo much error.

Ditto.

Exxxxxactly. Only I still learn through trial and error. haha. 

I learned through trial and error for the most part in middle school (eyeshadow, eyeliner and mascara was all I did) and this is strange but I am in love with Willam Belli and his videos helped me a lot to get into the more technical side of makeup, I took what he did and then just took it down a few notches to make it more wearable and Michelle Phan helped me with seeing the importance of maintained brows.

Youtube and prior to the interwebs, just playing with it, and looking at people who I thought did great makeup and tried to recreate what they did. My mom never wore makeup (I just gave her her first full face kit at age 67!) so I didn't learn from anyone in the family.  :)

I used to hang out in the library and read old Co-Ed and American Girl magazines (this is the original American Girl from the 1970's, and had nothing to do with the dolls that are popular in recent years!) They were for a long time just wish books for me, as the nuns who taught in my school had strict policies for the girls: makeup for the upper grades only, limited to blue or pink shadow, pink blush, and pink lip gloss; had any non-Caucasian girls attended, I think the old nuns would have gotten their collective panties in a bunch over what to do with the rule! In high school (finally sprung and allowed to go to public school) I learned from my classmates how to apply liner (back then we held a Maybelline brow-and-liner pencil to a flame before lining. It was then the cheapest and most readily available.) From a teenage drag queen I learned to put on lipstick, blot, dust with powder, then lipstick and blot again to make the color really last. This was long before really long-wear formulas, and it still feels better on my lips than current products like Covergirl Outlast. From my mother came a lesson learned long after she was gone: that sometimes all you need is mascara, powder and a Kickass Red lipstick to go boldly forward.

I just started to wear it one day and then went from there.   I used to wear way to much, so much that it rubbed off my face onto my clothes.  It was pretty disguisting.

I started using makeup because my mom use to crib how i don't dress like a girl and things. Every time I was about to leave my house for a thing she use to start. So one day I decided to surprise her, got a liner and mascara.
I have a blessed skin so that was not much of a thing for me. Washed my face and sat there with a cream and the little things I have.
Pulled a Cleopatra eyeliner look with mascara, a little lip gloss and my mom was shocked. I remember how much addicted i was to my skin so I just din't know what to buy. I had a senior she helped me with a nice brand Sheercover. It had mineral base so i was at peace. After that, every few days I dressed up with different makeup and went up to contouring till my mom was like OK no more of it.

I never had an older woman to help me with my makeup so I was in the same boat as you! I watched tons of YouTube videos and browsed around on Pinterest and in books.

From an Avon lady who railroaded my mother into buying a full set of whatever teen line they were carrying in the mid-1970's. I was 12 and two years too young for the minimum makeup age at the parochial school I attended. Nonetheless the young lady ordered for me a base, concealer, shadow (awful light blue, still can't bring myself to wear blue shadows today), a pink blush, pink lip gloss and a mascara, and she showed me how to apply it and more importantly, how to cover up the constellations of zits that Mother Nature so generously doled out back then. The nuns gave me no end of grief; I countered that I was striving to practice good grooming and hygiene; and my memory is a little fuzzy on the matter but I think they may have made me go to confession.